Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ipaqman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
hey everyone,

could someone please post detailed instructions on how to use brasso on the ipod? also, will brasso remove all of the factory scratches that the ipod comes with? also, i got a marware sportsuite case for my new ipod and there are scratches on the plastic cover that protects the screen. will brasso remove these scratches?

thanks for your help.

regards,
ipaqman

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I've used Brasso on tuning slides of various brass instruments, so I assume the application would be the same. However, since it's abrasive (not extremely, but enough), I feel that it would remove the laser etching on the back. Also, do NOT use it on acrylic, as it will cloud from the scratches (remember, Brasso is abrasive) and you wouldn't be able to see through it.

Ipaqman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
if i apply it to the screen will it reck it? also, can i use it on plastic?

thanks,
ipaqman

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Counterfit said:
Well, I can't imagine it being good news, seeing as it's quite literally stripping away material (very little, but it's still going).

But it's filling in (polishing) the much larger scratches caused by typical handling. I googled "brasso" "ipod" and using brasso and a lint-free cloth to polsih/remove scratches from an iPod seems to be an sound idea and is even listed as a "tip" at ipodlounge.com.

Lethal

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
Counterfit said:
I suppose it would help to answer your first question eh? ;)

Anyways, take a cloth or paper towel, dab some Brasso on there (careful, it's runny) and get rubbin'!

There's a (very long) thread about this at ipod lounge, and one thing is spelt out loud and clear - never use paper towels! They will scratch your iPod to shreds. Always use a very soft, old piece of cotton. I haven't tried it on my iPod, but from polishing other items I can confirm that paper towels are very abrasive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.