Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
dmw007 said:
The same phrase that I love to tell people-
they usually just stare at me and utter in amazement, "no viruses!!!"

Yeah, people do find it hard to believe. One of the guys at work was telling me about this virus today and asked if I was all up to date. I shrugged and said that it wouldn't affect me. When I told him that I had a Mac so didn't get viruses, he looked at me like I was an idiot and said 'yeah, except for Mac viruses'. When I explained there weren't any of those either (aside from the old Office macros), he refused to believe me until he went off and googled. He's now seriously considering a back-up Mac

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
I laughed out loud when I got the CNN breaking news update yesterday. This kind of hysteria is just so funny to me, because we can just sit here and watch it all safely.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
It's really interesting when you think of how serious people take these outbreaks, they make it seem like it's a real virus. Which might be why I find it so surreal that I can sit and watch without having to worry about getting infected...

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Doctor Q said:
This one is serious!They are calling this one worm-rbot.cbq and they say it may have been derived from the Zotob worm.

I will continue merrily working while my coworkers are scurrying around installing patches.
The most scary scenario in this: [they're still using Windows 2000]"on Capitol Hill? :eek:
X

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
xsedrinam said:
The most scary scenario in this: [they're still using Windows 2000]"on Capitol Hill? :eek:
X

There is a severe lack of non Windows machines on Capitol Hill. Its been that way for a while, unfortunately, with no real change in sight. It would be nice if continued threats like this make them look for alternatives, but the PC/Windows machines as so very much intrenched in the Hill that it will take a huge effort to get rid of them.

The FBI has a lot of Macs because of the security advantages though.

D

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
xsedrinam said:
X

the even scarier part is it goes all the way back to windows 95!

that must be some 'hole'

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Mr. Anderson said:
There is a severe lack of non Windows machines on Capitol Hill. Its been that way for a while, unfortunately, with no real change in sight.
D

Hopefully, there are at least a few renegade lawmakers that use their PowerBook G4s that they sneak into and out of their offices each day..........

.........wonder what type of computer George W Bush (or perhaps Hillary Clinton) uses? ;)

iSaint

macrumors 603
According to the Computer Science grad in my education classes this summer, Macs don't get viruses because there's such a small user base no one wants to mess with it. But he could make a Mac virus easily, he says.

Aside from his arrogance and idiocy, I understood (and he doesn't) the Unix base of OS X makes it much more difficult to create a workable virus on a Mac.

Is this right?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
iSaint said:
According to the Computer Science grad in my education classes this summer, Macs don't get viruses because there's such a small user base no one wants to mess with it. But he could make a Mac virus easily, he says.

Aside from his arrogance and idiocy, I understood (and he doesn't) the Unix base of OS X makes it much more difficult to create a workable virus on a Mac.

Is this right?

Yes, both points, yours & his, have some truth behind them.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
iSaint said:

Is this right?
But you have to ask yourself this when someone uses the "tiny marketshare" arguement. The Mac community is big enough (millions of users) and doesn't have one single virus. If someone were to write a virus for the Mac, don't you think they would get ALOT of attention. And at the end of the day thats all virus writers want.

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
Bush is a Mac User

To answer a question up there somewhere, Bush is a Mac user. I think, but am not positive, that he has a powerbook. Incidentally, Kerry is also a Mac user.

GK

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
GKThursday said:
To answer a question up there somewhere, Bush is a Mac user. I think, but am not positive, that he has a powerbook. Incidentally, Kerry is also a Mac user.

GK

Makes you feel a little bit better to know that the man
at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave uses a Mac.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
iSaint said:

Is this right?

Ask the experts

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
i dont get what kind of arguement people are trying to make when they say, the mac doesnt ahve any virus' because its obscure...

well who ****in cares how it happened all i care about is that there is no virus' as opposed tot eh thousands and thousands of ones for windows.. so at the end of the day, even if supposing mac OSX isnt any more secure, i still dont have to deal with pesky virus' and anti spyware, and anti virus software.

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
Doctor Q said:
It's true. We could be hit by panicked Windows 2000 users running down the street! :eek:
That is real funny....very profound that coz I was just about enter my lab yesterday when my anxious labmate literally ran into me to call for tech support as PC was infected!!!!! :D

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
Dr. Dastardly said:
But you have to ask yourself this when someone uses the "tiny marketshare" arguement. The Mac community is big enough (millions of users) and doesn't have one single virus. If someone were to write a virus for the Mac, don't you think they would get ALOT of attention. And at the end of the day thats all virus writers want.
Absolutely!!! This has been my fundamental argument with al my PC friends who sneer from behind the dumbest excuse I have ever heard....any given day what is it that hackers and virus writers want? Attention and some sense of false pride....when so many articles are being published showing mac osx to be so secure would it not be their first instinct to try and break it down??? It is like savoring a victory by beating a real, worthy opponent....small market share...bunch of trash!!!!!!

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
For most PC users Windows is like being in a abusive relationship
that you know you need to get away from but you are to scared to actually do it.

I don't support my friends and family running windows anymore
and just tell them to get a Mac when they buy there next computer and they won't have to worry about stuff like this.
But guess what happens when the time comes to buy a new computer, they buy another PC and when asked why they'll give you the story of this is what they know or the computer was on sale.

So as far as I'm concerned from that point forward they get exactly what they deserve.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
dukeblue91 said:
For most PC users Windows is like being in a abusive relationship
that you know you need to get away from but you are to scared to actually do it.

I don't support my friends and family running windows anymore
and just tell them to get a Mac when they buy there next computer and they won't have to worry about stuff like this.
But guess what happens when the time comes to buy a new computer, they buy another PC and when asked why they'll give you the story of this is what they know or the computer was on sale.

So as far as I'm concerned from that point forward they get exactly what they deserve.
Very cruel, but an extrememly good policy. I like it! :D

XNine

macrumors 68040
dmw007 said:
Hopefully, there are at least a few renegade lawmakers that use their PowerBook G4s that they sneak into and out of their offices each day..........

.........wonder what type of computer George W Bush (or perhaps Hillary Clinton) uses? ;)

Neither are smart enough to use a Mac in the first place, what, with George W having an 8th grade level in English and Hillary thinking she's gonna be President.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
dmw007 said:

Etch-A-Sketch, probably.

Crikey

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Onizuka said:
Neither are smart enough to use a Mac in the first place, what, with George W having an 8th grade level in English and Hillary thinking she's gonna be President.

Did you mean to use "gonna" in the same sentence as your Bush judgement? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.