Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hectordtruong

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks guys, finally i found some clues to fix my iphone here..
But i have different case, my LCD just showing white and i found that flex cable which soldered into the lcd (part which glued to the lcd) is detached. I think replacing the LCD would fix it, but i saw on ebay there is seller which sell this part separated (LCD-backlight-flex).

Hi hector, have you experienced problem like this?
I just wondering, if i could soldered new flex cable to the LCD (or just glue it??). Any ideas?

Hey dellconn,

Best bet is to just get a replacement LCD and try it out that way. LCDs are fairly cheap ($24-25) and would be less of a headache than trying to solder that. I know that I, myself, could do it, but for anyone else, they may be causing more damage to the LCD and connector. In the end, if the new LCD doesnt work, you can always sell it back for a little less than what you got it for. :)

dellconn

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Broken iphone 3g flex cable

Hey dellconn,

Best bet is to just get a replacement LCD and try it out that way. LCDs are fairly cheap ($24-25) and would be less of a headache than trying to solder that. I know that I, myself, could do it, but for anyone else, they may be causing more damage to the LCD and connector. In the end, if the new LCD doesnt work, you can always sell it back for a little less than what you got it for. :)

Thanks hector, i also think so.. but it would be my last option before throwing my new lcd and buy again (yes, it was new and i broke it already because of an accident :eek: ). Im still curious how to install the flex pin into lcd glass. It must be possible because there is seller on ebay sell it separated. Please let me know if you have any clues on this..

hectordtruong

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks hector, i also think so.. but it would be my last option before throwing my new lcd and buy again (yes, it was new and i broke it already because of an accident :eek: ). Im still curious how to install the flex pin into lcd glass. It must be possible because there is seller on ebay sell it separated. Please let me know if you have any clues on this..

from what it looks like, I see the power supply pad on the LCD (dual pins) and separately on the connector (the gold pad). What I dont see is the connectors for the actual information display. I've soldered ribbons before, and they are not fun to do. too flexible and heat definitely affects the ribbon. you need to use quite a bit of kapton tape to shield it.

dellconn

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
from what it looks like, I see the power supply pad on the LCD (dual pins) and separately on the connector (the gold pad). What I dont see is the connectors for the actual information display. I've soldered ribbons before, and they are not fun to do. too flexible and heat definitely affects the ribbon. you need to use quite a bit of kapton tape to shield it.

Yes hector, i think the LCD information pin is too tiny to handle with soldering iron. And i dont know from what pin at glass is made (is it solderable?) Is it possible if we do that with hot air gun? im almost desperate in fixing this. Maybe new LCD assembly will heal the headache.. :D

hectordtruong

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Yes hector, i think the LCD information pin is too tiny to handle with soldering iron. And i dont know from what pin at glass is made (is it solderable?) Is it possible if we do that with hot air gun? im almost desperate in fixing this. Maybe new LCD assembly will heal the headache.. :D

I looked at the lcd, and its connector. The pins you see in the picture I can do, but if you look closely at the backside, theres a series of circuitry that is not meant to be soldered to. When they make it, I think it is all one piece. For a $25 part, soldering something like that with success would cost $50+ since it is so small and intricate. Might as well buy a new LCD my friend. :p

dellconn

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Here i am after doing last night recovery surgery and trying to post what i did to the LCD.(because i think solder method is nearly impossible). I have tried to glued it (with super glue) and hold it with metal clamp (strong enough to suppress flex cable to the lcd pin and hope that will connected). Wait it until full recured, then i put it back.. result?? Woala.. Still white screen of death shown. :( Maybe soldering on the pcb side is more possible than this.
Better than not trying at all..
Now im searching for the new LCD, thanks Hector for your help.

hectordtruong

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Here i am after doing last night recovery surgery and trying to post what i did to the LCD.(because i think solder method is nearly impossible). I have tried to glued it (with super glue) and hold it with metal clamp (strong enough to suppress flex cable to the lcd pin and hope that will connected). Wait it until full recured, then i put it back.. result?? Woala.. Still white screen of death shown. :( Maybe soldering on the pcb side is more possible than this.
Better than not trying at all..
Now im searching for the new LCD, thanks Hector for your help.

No prob, Ebay LCDs go for about $25 shipped.

WhyKnot

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
First timer Please be gentle #3 fpc connector gate or lever aquisition please

Looking to purchase the lever only, or if need be the same connector that Iphone uses as some of the replacements have a design change, and levers are not interchangeable. The over center clamp which is the movable part of the #3 connector. Web sights please, or?, if anybody knows of any.

thanks

hectordtruong

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Looking to purchase the lever only, or if need be the same connector that Iphone uses as some of the replacements have a design change, and levers are not interchangeable. The over center clamp which is the movable part of the #3 connector. Web sights please, or?, if anybody knows of any.

thanks

If you need only the lever, I could sell you a few, but it'd come out to be the same price as a complete connector on ebay. I have both types, black or white. They are salvaged ones from phones I repaired.

vanillabean719

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
If you need only the lever, I could sell you a few, but it'd come out to be the same price as a complete connector on ebay. I have both types, black or white. They are salvaged ones from phones I repaired.

Hi, new here, and read all the posts regarding woes on the ribbon 3 connector :( Can I just replace the lever?? I broke it (replacing entire screen assembly) trying to get the ribbon cable in the connector (it was very fragile, seemed almost brittle). As far as i can tell, the connector is good. Seems like an easier fix than replacing the connector with all the soldering? Right now my phone works fine, just no sound from earpiece and proximity sensor is not working. I am using a bluetooth to hear calls... this may be my only option to keep using the phone.

hectordtruong

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Hi, new here, and read all the posts regarding woes on the ribbon 3 connector :( Can I just replace the lever?? I broke it (replacing entire screen assembly) trying to get the ribbon cable in the connector (it was very fragile, seemed almost brittle). As far as i can tell, the connector is good. Seems like an easier fix than replacing the connector with all the soldering? Right now my phone works fine, just no sound from earpiece and proximity sensor is not working. I am using a bluetooth to hear calls... this may be my only option to keep using the phone.

It is possible, but kind of tricky. Your latch has to be the only thing missing in order to be successful. Most people end up damaging the connector in the process anyway, and send their phones to me. You could try it, just purchase the connectors off ebay. I could send you a couple as well, just email me.

farmeroman

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
The second pic is how it is supposed to look like. The cable slides in and is latched down by that black latch. If you lift that latch, you can slide your cable back in, and clamp down the latch.

My problem is that I have broken off the little clip that locks cable 3 in place. As I understand it the clip is raised to release the cable and to make it easy to push the cable back in. Is it possible to push the cable in without the clip in its up position?

hectordtruong

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
My problem is that I have broken off the little clip that locks cable 3 in place. As I understand it the clip is raised to release the cable and to make it easy to push the cable back in. Is it possible to push the cable in without the clip in its up position?

It is possible, but you risk damaging the cable.

carlrussell89

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Help

Hi

I replaced the screen on my i phone 3gs last night and had the same trouble with what is described on a few threads on here. I have snapped the white housing for the calble three on the circuit board. The screen works ok but it is the speaker that dosnt and the circle button at the bottom of the i phone that does not work. Please xould any body help me with this.

Thanks

Carl

hectordtruong

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Hi

I replaced the screen on my i phone 3gs last night and had the same trouble with what is described on a few threads on here. I have snapped the white housing for the calble three on the circuit board. The screen works ok but it is the speaker that dosnt and the circle button at the bottom of the i phone that does not work. Please xould any body help me with this.

Thanks

Carl

So the ear speaker doesnt work, and your Home button doesnt work? My guess is the #3 connector is why the speaker doesnt work, and that you knocked one of the pins on the home button ribbon off. Email me and we can talk more.

Transblam32

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
Will buy you broken 3rd connector phones..

I will buy your 3rd connector broken phones. Just email me at tgk_32@yahoo.com and let me know the information about the phone...(3g, 3gs, etc..) and the size (8,16,32gb) Thank you

billinaz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Goodyear AZ.... for now.
Thanks Hector!

Replacing that #3 cable connector was fast and it works great!

Anyone that breaks the little lever dealing with the #3 cable has to send their phone to Hector. Very reasonable and super fast!

THANKS!

hectordtruong

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks Hector!

Replacing that #3 cable connector was fast and it works great!

Anyone that breaks the little lever dealing with the #3 cable has to send their phone to Hector. Very reasonable and super fast!

THANKS!

Thanks again Bill!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.