Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Today, I've been having a lot of problems re: browsers loading pages. Sometimes, it'll load them partially/mostly, but images won't load. Other times, Safari/Chrome/Firefox will redirect me to Google. Still other times, the browser will say it can't reach the server.

I've tried restarting, repair permissions, and emptying the cache, and restarting the browsers many, many times. Usually one/some combination of these things will fix the problem temporarily, but it keeps coming back. Additionally, no matter how many times I repair permissions, problems crop up in System/Library/Java and System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework .

I've just redownloaded the Java Update 3 for 10.6, and I'm installing it now. I don't know if that'll fix it, but I'll update if it does. I'm running 10.6.5. The only thing I've noticed that changed before this problem started happening was my update to Safari 5.0.3. I have an aluminum iMac.

Anyone have any ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You might try turning off Java (not JavaScript) and see if they come up. Also, check any ad-blockers you may have, and firewall settings.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Yeah, neither the reinstall of Java nor the disabling of it in any of the browsers did the trick. I can't help but think the permissions issue is related, but I'm not sure how.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Restored my Airport Extreme to factory settings. Problem seemed fixed, briefly. Just reloaded this page to check and it's back.

Oh, and none of those messages on the support document are the ones I'm getting (though I really appreciate the link for future reference).

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Try adding Open DNS's DNS Servers to your Network Preferences.

Open your Network System Preference.
Click the Advanced button.
Click the DNS tab.
Enter the numbers in the DNS Servers window by clicking the + button.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
No dice. Problem's the same, if not worse now.

edit: Okay. Undid OpenDNS, redid it, and reapplied. It seems to be working for now. Will repost in a bit if it gets worse again/continues working properly. THanks for all the help so far, guys.

Last edited:

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
You may need to reboot for all changes to take full effect.
Do you have a maintenance utility such as the free Onyx or Maintenance?
If so try running their default maintenance routine.

johanwhite

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
I think there is a problem in your browser settings. If your browser did not load images then you should enable the option Load images automatically in your browser settings. If your browser automatically block pop ups then you should change settings for pop ups. Otherwise you should try to restart the application or reinstall it.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
After giving it overnight and another restart, it seems OpenDNS has fixed the problem. I'm kind of disturbed that it came to that to do it, and have a mind to contact my ISP about this, but I'm glad to have my internet properly working again. Thanks so much everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.