Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uncletupelo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
A friend has just bought his first mac; iMac G5 1.8 running 10.3.5. His broadband is via BT but he has been told his Voyager USB modem will not work with 10.3.5 or higher as the drivers are not compatible. As part of that conversation he mentioned the free router he should have received...but didn't. The new router is on its way but I am concerned that BT's website say the Voyager 205 router is not compatible with Panther at all, let alone the latest version.

Anyone know anything about this router and Panther?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
My opinion is that BT helplines and other ISPs are piss-poor in understanding & supporting Macs...

I just got an ADSL USB modem from Sagem as part of a Tiscali package. Despite the site saying that it would only run on 10.2 Jaguar it runs fine on Panther...

http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb/macdownload.htm

Download it and try it out... otherwise get a ethernet router.

LimitedEdition

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
If the modem can connect via the Ethernet port then the USB driver shouldn't matter. A lot of DSL modems can connect via either so be sure to check...

Applespider

macrumors G4
BT Broadband are dreadful about knowing what works with Macs - it tends to be a case of 'we don't support them' regardless of what you want to do. It may be worth waiting to see what happens when the router arrives.

If not, (and you have to stay with BT), then any other ADSL modem/router combination should work.

uncletupelo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
LimitedEdition said:
If the modem can connect via the Ethernet port then the USB driver shouldn't matter. A lot of DSL modems can connect via either so be sure to check...

Well the basic USB modem he has from BT has no ethernet connection and I could not get it recognised by the iMac using the USB connection. BT confirming it can't handle 10.3.5 or higher just confirmed why I couldn't install it.

The problem now is...will the ethernet router they are sending be the same? Their site says it won't work but given its an ethernet connection I can't think why it shouldn't? I was hoping somone knows of a mac user who uses a BT voyager router AND has at least 10.3.5.

The router arrives tomorrow.

LimitedEdition

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
Ethernet should be fine. Just connect it to the Ethernet port and turn on DHCP on the router and the Mac. No drivers reqd...

btbroadbndsucks

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2005
bt braodband sucks for macs

i recently had the same problem and got through to some idiot at bt who didn't know a thing about macs despite bt claiming to support MAC.

Since I called them and specifically asked BEFORE i got broadband if their crappy modem would work with mac 10.3.7 I demanded that they send me a new modem which they declined to do. Since my original usb voyager modem was still under warranty i told them it was faulty, since in my opinion if they claim it works with macs and doesnt then thats a fault,,,right??

that said, they agreed to send me out a new modem which apparently is also a router..but BT service is just so crappy, you have to wait 45 minutes on hold to a national rate number to speak to them and on top of that they sometimes just hang up on you as soon as you get through so you have to call again and wait another 45 mins for service.

I would advise people avoid using bt broadband products and go with another company (but not AOL, they suck big time too!)
:mad:

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
btbroadbndsucks said:
I would advise people avoid using bt broadband products and go with another company (but not AOL, they suck big time too!)
:mad:
Or, just buy a modem/router, and do it yourself.

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
brap said:
Or, just buy a modem/router, and do it yourself.

Exactly - I'm on BT Broadband and bought an AMX-64 from adslnation and, apart from having to manually set the MTU in Network prefs so it was BT compatible, have not had a problem.

I've since found the SAMR-4114 router, 4 x Ethernet, 1 x USB ports, from qtds.com for the ridiculously low price of £21.99 + VAT + delivery. This promises to work with all ISPs, and any Mac OS from 7.5.3 up. They also do a 1 x Ethernet, 1 x USB modem for £18.99 + VAT + postage. You can also collect from them if you want to save the postage costs, and can get to the Hanger Lane gyratory area.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
We're on BT broadband here (Business Broadband), and although we're only running 9.2.1 and 10.2.8, we had no setup problems with our wired and wireless network. We've got a 2Wire router which came free with our package. I just plugged it into the ethernet port, set up DCHP on each computer and we were online. The only problem is, the 2Wire isn't the best for wireless (and BT actually admit that!)

The great thing about this router is that everything is set up from your internet browser's homepage. Even though it coes with a PC setup wizard, you just point your internet browser to http://home/ (after configuring a static IP address) and you can install/set up from there.

artesian

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2005
london
MemphisSoulStew said:
I've since found the SAMR-4114 router, 4 x Ethernet, 1 x USB ports, from qtds.com for the ridiculously low price of £21.99 + VAT + delivery. This promises to work with all ISPs, and any Mac OS from 7.5.3 up.

I was looking at the same modem/router (a few more quid at ebuyer), but is it really mac compatible? I emailed adsl4less and their reply was "You would need a ADSL modem that is compatible with MAC's, although you can
use almost any ADSL router with a MAC."

The safecom site specifies win system only at one point - is this just for easy setup? Are you in the process of buying?

zami

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
South London
I have used BT Broadband through various OSX versions with the help of a DrayTek Vigor 2600 router. Never had a single problem or lack of service ever in at least two years.

Those USB thingies have a bad, bad, bad reputation and nowadays you can get a router for about £30/35 on the high street.

Router is the way to go, that way you save yourself the aggravation of trying to understand the geordie/Mumbai/scottish/devon or whatever call centre.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/products.html

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
equipment supplyed from your ISP sucks, period, if you dont live in london (in which case get bulldog 4M/bit owns) get demon they are mac knolageable, also buy your own adsl router like a d-link or a linksys, i know far too many bad reports on brands like dreytek and there poor customer support, BT sucks as an ISP just as AOL dose and always will.

terminate before it's too late

jam4brains

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2004
Hi, I use BT Yahoo broadband, and I have the BT Voyager 205 DSL Modem/Router.

Works fine with both PC and OSX 10.3.8

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
artesian said:
I was looking at the same modem/router (a few more quid at ebuyer), but is it really mac compatible? I emailed adsl4less and their reply was "You would need a ADSL modem that is compatible with MAC's, although you can
use almost any ADSL router with a MAC."

The safecom site specifies win system only at one point - is this just for easy setup? Are you in the process of buying?

It should be platform independent - connecting to your Mac via an Ethernet port doesn't require a driver so you shouldn't have a problem with it. AFAIK what adsl4less have told you is right, so this router should work.

Ah ... I just found this thread at adsltech.com where someone had some setup problems but was talked through setting up the SAMR-4114 to work with their Mac. It will work, but if you buy the router keep a bookmark to the adsltech thread in case you get any problems.

I'd already bought my AMX-64 when I found the cheapo router, although I have a friend who is getting Broadband some time soon, and I've recommended he get the SAMR-4114. Luckily we live quite close to qtds's offices (well, pair of lockups...) so if he gets a problem we can take it directly back to them, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

artesian

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2005
london
MemphisSoulStew said:
It should be platform independent - connecting to your Mac via an Ethernet port doesn't require a driver so you shouldn't have a problem with it. AFAIK what adsl4less have told you is right, so this router should work.

Ah ... I just found this thread at adsltech.com where someone had some setup problems but was talked through setting up the SAMR-4114 to work with their Mac. It will work, but if you buy the router keep a bookmark to the adsltech thread in case you get any problems.

I'd already bought my AMX-64 when I found the cheapo router, although I have a friend who is getting Broadband some time soon, and I've recommended he get the SAMR-4114. Luckily we live quite close to qtds's offices (well, pair of lockups...) so if he gets a problem we can take it directly back to them, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

thanks for this, the thread is interesting, though inconclusive! I asked at Square One on New Oxford St today - they said check model+mac os with whichever isp for compatibility, so I guess I'll email tomorrow. Looked up the setup procedure in a MacOS book & it looks easy enough. We''ll see. Think I'll get mine from ebuyer as I've used them before & I think p&p will be less. Finding a lockup near Hanger Lane - jeeesh, sounds stressful!
Who's your isp if I may ask? (ie I'm looking around at the mo)

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
I have an iBook running 10.3.8, connected to a Voyager 205 router from BT

Just conect via ethernet, an everything will be OK.

If you want to change any router settings, use Explorer (I've had trouble with Safari), and go to http://192.168.1.1 and you'l be presented with the routers control panel.

Have fun :)

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
artesian said:
thanks for this, the thread is interesting, though inconclusive! I asked at Square One on New Oxford St today - they said check model+mac os with whichever isp for compatibility, so I guess I'll email tomorrow. Looked up the setup procedure in a MacOS book & it looks easy enough. We''ll see. Think I'll get mine from ebuyer as I've used them before & I think p&p will be less. Finding a lockup near Hanger Lane - jeeesh, sounds stressful!
Who's your isp if I may ask? (ie I'm looking around at the mo)

Did you read page 2 of the adsltech thread? The poster called imac got him/herself up and running with the SAMR after selecting the correct options in Netork prefs, so your Mac will work with a SAMR router.

The setup should be a doddle, but if you run into problems there are plenty of people here to help out.

I actually went to the lockups to pick up a mini USB 2 hub (£4.05 inc VAT) - postage would have been more than the cost of the hub. I work at Heathrow so it didn't take long to get there, and I went straight from work one afternoon. One lockup has the office, and the other is an Aladdin's Cave jammed to the rafters with cheap electronics. Nice helpful guys though.

And I'm with BT/Yahoo - I ignored the USB modem (the infamous frog) they provided, but kept the filters and bought the AMX-64 router. Never had a problem with BT/Yahoo.

krollster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London
Just get an ADSL router. I've been using a netgear dg834g and it was the easiest thing in the world to set up. IMHO ethernet is a much better way of connecting than via USB.

Before I moved into a new place and got stuck with Telewest, I was using an ISP called Metronet that wasn't too bad. The service was pay as you go, so it meant I wasn't paying for heaps of Gb that I wasn't going to use. Although it was PAYG, the monthly spend was capped so you didn't spend too much if your usage was too high.

artesian

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2005
london
MemphisSoulStew said:
Did you read page 2 of the adsltech thread? The poster called imac got him/herself up and running with the SAMR after selecting the correct options in Netork prefs, so your Mac will work with a SAMR router.

The setup should be a doddle, but if you run into problems there are plenty of people here to help out.

LOL, no I didn't see page 2 - my motto is 'everyone should feel a bit thick at least once a day', and happily I manage to live by it! It all sounds good and I appreciate you pointing this out to me - I'm sending off for the samr today.

Now I just have to decide on isp. With a Mac, BT says (on their web site) that BT basic is out, and BT yahoo is a bit more than I want to spend at the moment (that may change).

If I was still in North London, I'd go check out those lockups, but as it is I'm ensconced in sunny Brixton. Huh. Freezing my a.. off more like.

artesian

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2005
london
krollster said:
Just get an ADSL router. I've been using a netgear dg834g and it was the easiest thing in the world to set up. IMHO ethernet is a much better way of connecting than via USB.

Before I moved into a new place and got stuck with Telewest, I was using an ISP called Metronet that wasn't too bad. The service was pay as you go, so it meant I wasn't paying for heaps of Gb that I wasn't going to use. Although it was PAYG, the monthly spend was capped so you didn't spend too much if your usage was too high.

The Netgear dg834 (dg834g is wireless isn't it?) gets really good press from mac users - I'd never heard of anyone using a cheap alternative like the samr-4114 which seems to get great press from the wintel crowd.

I've been looking at Metronet too, but not sure about what my typical usage is, or would be once I could actually surf, rather than doggy paddle. 200 MB for the lowest fixed fee per month seems low. Without using a site usage thingy, I'm guestimating (100 pages per dayx100Kb) x 30 days = approx 300MB (without adding any extras for music etc) - does that sound at all right to you? adsl4less offer unlimited for £14.99/month. Both seem good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.