Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Three times now I've caught an ant crawling on my keyboard. Once I figure out where they are coming from, I'll try to talk them into making other travel plans. In the meantime, what kind of threat are they to my Apple Pro keyboard? I saw one ant crawl in between the F5 and F6 keys, but he/she soon came out again. Might they harm my keyboard by taking tours like this?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
whenever i get ants in mine i just pop off all the keys and put it under the facuet, that takes care of them. let it dry, pop back on my keyboard and im good to go. i doubt some of that clear oderless diazanol concentrate will hurt it either.

iJon

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
well speaking as someone who has taken apart a good many, the ant really can't do any damage, but it's kind of gross to have dead ants in there, as they may have difficultly getting back out. but yeah, rinsing it out works well, use distilled if possible... but there are people that swear by dishwashing their keyboards... on cool, of course...

pnw

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I would recommend canned air combined with a vacuum hose. Blast them out and suck them up at the same time. That's what I do for dust.... should be about the same with ants.

Dan

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by paulwhannel
well speaking as someone who has taken apart a good many, the ant really can't do any damage, but it's kind of gross to have dead ants in there, as they may have difficultly getting back out. but yeah, rinsing it out works well, use distilled if possible... but there are people that swear by dishwashing their keyboards... on cool, of course...

pnw
wow dishwashing, never really thought of that, thats pretty slick.

iJon

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
he he. dishwashing. :D

i've seen some really gross PC keyboards... i'm guessing that any Apple hardware would be able to take the same kind of abuse. :)

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by iJon
whenever i get ants in mine i just pop off all the keys and put it under the facuet, that takes care of them. let it dry, pop back on my keyboard and im good to go. i doubt some of that clear oderless diazanol concentrate will hurt it either.

iJon

Huh? Is that a common problem or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.