Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
This is what I posted on my blog. I thought it was a virus. Even though macs don't get viruses doesn't mean they still can!!!!! Or wait? :D

Odd things have been happening in our household. Recently my mom had accidently downloaded a virus that literally destroyed her PC. She had to reinstall windows. Now, parental controls on our macs are mysteriously being changed. I don’t now what exactly going on, but every time we open up our web browser (BumperCar) It says “Network Updates in Progress” Recently, the parental controls have been treating us toddlers, rather then blocking content, they block our most used sites. MSN, GMAIL, YAHOO, thank god word-press has not been blocked. Well, acutely all these things have been blocked on every account but mine, which gives me reason to believe that one of my siblings has downloaded something from an email. I think I know what it is, we got eCards from our exchange students sister. BUT THIS IS A MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MACS DON”T GET VIRUSES!!!!!!!!! Could this be like the first mac virus that got downloaded when you downloaded those Leopard screen shots? I don’t know. I am convincing my dad to download Net Barrier X. Or maybe, rather then download go out and buy it from the Apple Store. I hope I don’t need to Erase and Install, though I could use the Hard Drive space, I have a lot of great things. And a lot of applications. If I do need to Erase and Install does anybody know how to backup apps like, Bumpercar, Mac Minder, Adium X, Gimp shop. Will the one licence iWork work if I do???? PLease answer in either comments, Meebo Chat, or email. Thank You SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! WATCH OUT MAC USERS. PC user, you know what to do. You always get viruses.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I second that. It's not virus, spyware, trojan horses, worms or the boogey man.

Mac's don't get viruses.

But I dunno what is going wrong...:confused:

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Since BumperCar is a browser for kids (and so content filtering, etc., is a big part of its feature set), doesn't it seem likely that it's the source of your problems? Maybe some of the app's prefs files got corrupted or something.

Demoman

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
Issaquah, WA
DJ OJ said:
This is what I posted on my blog.

So what is up with you subject line? I do not see anything here which suggests there is a virus loose on Macs. But, you are making an assertion there is. Your subject line also leads one to believe there are other known ones, when in fact there are not. The fact you are a newbie leads me to suspect more disinformation from the MS camp.

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
it sound to me like you dont know how to use a mac and screwed something up rather than a virus

Virus on the loose ?
more like a lil boy who cried wolf on the loose

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
BumperCar..how old are you? Its not a viruses, You likely screwed something up, your parnets may have changed something, or BumberCar may have a bug.

shawsinio

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
UK
zap2 said:
BumperCar..how old are you? Its not a viruses, You likely screwed something up, your parnets may have changed something, or BumberCar may have a bug.

yeh most likely a bug if you ask me, try scrapping bumpercar and using safari, firefox, camino, opera, or any other browser...see if things still keep happening

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
We need a forum rule regarding the use of the word "virus" in thread titles. I'm not going to go into the reasoning behind this because I think anyone who's been at this forum for more than a few days knows where I am coming from.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Yes, it does get a bit ridiculous with all these posts about "My Mac has a virus! It won't turn on!" and it just turns out they haven't plugged it into the mains or it's run out of battery, or something really stupid...

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
What is bumperCar? Get a real browser and you'll probably see your "Virus" suddenly disappear. Don't make a Virus thread here and expect people not to give you a little crap (or more approprietely a lot of crap).

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
yes, yes. I know, sounds stupid but I concerned. I know more about my mac then most of you except. I am 13. I have concerned parents. LIVE WITH IT!!!!!! I know as a fact that I have done nothing to anything in the library of bumpercar. And that is the only way I can think of screwing up the app. Though I appreciate you telling me it is most likely not a virus, please tell me WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you also explain why, on every account but mine when Bumpercar is opened it says network updates in progress? Right before i wrote this my dad ( who knows squat about macs :) ) took a look at it and said he did nothing. I can trust him to tell me. I know bumpercar better then he does because I recommended it to him so I did not have to use those stupid safari ones.PLease, rather then calling my "Boy who cried Wolf" help me resolve the problem, I will change the title of the post if I can. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
shawsinio said:
yeh most likely a bug if you ask me, try scrapping bumpercar and using safari, firefox, camino, opera, or any other browser...see if things still keep happening
I wish I could my dad insists on parental controls. He is giving a parental controls to a 16 year old exchange student. I would happily ditch bumpercar for flock, but....well you know.

shawsinio

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
UK
ok, so there are plenty of people in the MacRumors commmunity that are absolutely incredible with macs, and offer some great advice. however, you have basically just said 'i use bumpercar, and its trying to update whats happening!' at least try and give more info. why can't you ask your parent s to allow you to use safari or something...cant you find it yourself through spotlight so you can use it or is it totally blocked? and, to finish off, i know its been said, but don't shout that you have virus if its not, just state the problem don't embellish it!

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Well i had something odd happen to my MacBook two months ago. Heres the post:

Virtualball said:
Well I think I got a virus today! yay! On mac! yay! lol

Well, whats going on? I downloaded a video of Mac OS X "Leapord" because yea know, I was curious.

So I downloaded it, opened it, watched, it was pretty cool. Then all of a sudden, a layer fell from the top of the screen. I cant explain it, if youve ever gotten the gray screen of death, you know the gray layer that comes from the top and scrolls down? Well i had that, there was NO box in the center. But something was different. The screen was now tinted multiple colors. My white safari page was red, my bg was yellow (it WAS blue) and the video turned red too. I moved around the windows and wherever it would go, the colors would disappear, only to have the layer fall again. This happened 3 times until a blue version of the greay screen of death came.

I know this isnt logic board because Ive had that, actually 3 times on my iBook. I restarted to find the gray screen of death over and over again. I restarted to Windows, deleted the video off my mac partition, and restarted. My computer now works.

But I just dont know how to explain this. Could it be a coincidence, or is this a normal thing? Help!

now THAT, my friends, isn't normal :p But I've been fine ever since, not one complaint about my MacBook or OSX :)

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
shawsinio said:
ok, so there are plenty of people in the MacRumors commmunity that are absolutely incredible with macs, and offer some great advice. however, you have basically just said 'i use bumpercar, and its trying to update whats happening!' at least try and give more info. why can't you ask your parent s to allow you to use safari or something...cant you find it yourself through spotlight so you can use it or is it totally blocked? and, to finish off, i know its been said, but don't shout that you have virus if its not, just state the problem don't embellish it!
LOL, Safari has been turned off. I really appreciate my dad caring so much but it can drive me crazy. But why do the network updates affect the parental controls!?

Virtualball said:
Well i had something odd happen to my MacBook two months ago. Heres the post:

now THAT, my friends, isn't normal :p But I've been fine ever since, not one complaint about my MacBook or OSX :)
Creepy. GLAD EVERYTHING IS OK. What were the responses like?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Download different browser..(ask your parents so you don't get in trouble) see if the problem still if there is something bigger,if its not there, you know something in BumberCar is messed up, in which case go into preferences and play with some stuff. I'd say exactly what to do, but I've never played with BumberCar

Or just use Safari for test(again I'd ask parents so not to get in trouble)

Also talk to your parents..ask to use FireFox, Safari or something else. If your Jewish say your a man now if not talk about IF you were Jewish you'd be a man. If your parents trust you with a Blog, they should trust you with your own browser

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
zap2 said:
Also talk to your parents..ask to use FireFox, Safari or something else. If your Jewish say your a man now if not talk about IF you were Jewish you'd be a man. If your parents trust you with a Blog, they should trust you with your own browser
LOL, funny. If he does say "NO WAY!" then I will look into an app that adds parental controls to any browser. Like a plug in I guess. He will be upset about paying money for a crappy browser . :)

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Isn't there a bumpercar forum or something dude?
try looking there

you are in the wrong place

you are not going to find any
OMG OMG Bumpercar hax ! !!!!!!!! LOL yippe Yes
wangzoodle zizzzpop
we did it high five
here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.