Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
I'm about to install a second DVD burner in my Mac Pro.

I have a copy of toast 7.1, will it burn to both drives at once if I want it to?

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
This has never been a feature of Toast, unfortunately. And at least as of now (version 8), it remains that way.

One thing you can do is run two separate copies of Toast and assign each to a different burner. This worked on mid-speed G4 towers at the time, so I'd imagine that a Mac Pro wouldn't have any problems with it. But as always, your mileage may vary...

cpjakes

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
This has never been a feature of Toast, unfortunately. And at least as of now (version 8), it remains that way.

One thing you can do is run two separate copies of Toast and assign each to a different burner. This worked on mid-speed G4 towers at the time, so I'd imagine that a Mac Pro wouldn't have any problems with it. But as always, your mileage may vary...

cpjakes

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

I'm importing a DVD right now, after that I'll test out burning.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I was running Toast on both of my burners before and it worked out just fine. I used my internal to burn one thing and my external to burn another as well as the same things on both at times. I should mention that my external was faster but still it was nice doing this.

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain how you run the same application twice, all at once? Did that make sense?

Basically, how do you do what is described above? Thanks in advance.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain how you run the same application twice, all at once? Did that make sense?

Basically, how do you do what is described above? Thanks in advance.

You need two separate installations of the software. In the case of Toast, a Copy/Paste of the application will do it. Then just open both copies. If I remember correctly, there is only one set of preferences, so you'll need to change which burner you are using.

cpjakes

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Just burned 2 DVDS at once!

Note: I think this may cause a buffer underrun if you don't have RAID-0 or at least 2 separate drives.

Half Glass

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
IDE limitation?

I have done this too, but it seemed s_l_o_w. Is this because of the IDE cable speed limits?

--HG

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I have done this too, but it seemed s_l_o_w. Is this because of the IDE cable speed limits?

--HG

it not due to the IDE cable speed limits. the IDE lines can about if not more bandwidth limits than the 2 drives combined can pull. The cause for the craw is due to the fact that you have 2 drives on 1 line. Data can be sent only to 1 of the drives at time it constantly flipping back and forth between the drives and it is not very good at doing that. It is not so bad when drive is burning and the other is reading since you are never pulling on the same stream but here you are trying to use the same data stream to supply 2 different drives.

Only way I can think of it you have road with a turn on it. One that goes right and one that goes left. If all the cars where going turning the same direction it never would have a problem but things start backing up when they have to weight at the intersection for one of the cars to turn the other direction backing everything up.

That the long answer. The problem just comes from there being 2 drives on the same line. It a very time consuming to keep jumping between the drives and very ineffienced. Also dual burning is very hard on the CPU and the catch for both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.