Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Is there anyway to burn .dmg Dvds in Windows XP? I mean not Windows XP on a Mac but on a PC. I will need to burn a .dmg file into a dvd but since I don't have a dvd burner in my Mac I'll have to do it on my PC so is it possible to burn a .dmg file and will it run on OS X? Not burn the dmg file really but it's sorta like an image file so that when i put the disk in it sees what the content of the dmg file is, not the .dmg file.

Another question, if I've a single .dmg file that's approximately 8GB, is it possible to split it so that i can burn it into multiple DVDs? is there a way to do this?

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
If you burn a .dmg file to a DVD it can be read by a Mac. I don't know if there is a Windows burnign program that will expand the image, if it is a copy of a DVD your makeing, but OS X will be able to mount a .dmg file, as long as the media is compatable.

Side note: .DMG files used to stand for DaMaGed files detected by some old DOS utilities. Aggregated lost clusters, severely truncated files etc…

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I've never tried this, but Disk Utility has the option to convert the .dmg file to a "DVD/CD Master" (.cdr file). Not sure if this will work, but it may be worth a shot.

In terms of splitting it up, not sure how this might be done on a PC.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I need to split the file. it'll not fit into one DVD. But I'm not sure if it's split-able. no idea but i doubt if i can split it...i don't mind splitting on the mac then transfer over to Windows.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
emw said:
I've never tried this, but Disk Utility has the option to convert the .dmg file to a "DVD/CD Master" (.cdr file). Not sure if this will work, but it may be worth a shot.

Looks like a good idea. I'll try it later. I've around 20 CD-Rs here. If it'll work I don't mind.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Is the .dmg file a disk image of multiple files? Or is it a disk image of a DVD? If it's a disk image of multiple files, you should be able to create separate smaller .dmg files on your Mac and then either use Disk Utility or ISO them for Windows. If it is storage for just one huge 8GB file, then you might need to use an archive utility (Stuffit?) to split it into multiple images.

If it's disk image of a DVD, then you'll likely need to mount it on your Mac, then use something like MacTheRipper to create "sub-files" for chapter ranges. MtR will also do things like "Main Feature only" to reduce file size.

8GB will fit on a DL DVD, if you have that.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
emw said:
If it's disk image of a DVD, then you'll likely need to mount it on your Mac, then use something like MacTheRipper to create "sub-files" for chapter ranges. MtR will also do things like "Main Feature only" to reduce file size.

It is a disk image of a DVD. Can MacTheRipper do that? I'll try and see. I don't have DL, if i do, SilentPanda's solution would be great.

SilentPanda said:
Since you have a Mac you can convert the .dmg to an .iso file on your Mac, then burn the ISO on your Windows PC.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040121135301830

Hopefully that will work for you.

This will be good if I can split up the files. thanks.

paulrichy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
Split 8gb to 640mb files

To split the 8gb file up to 640mb this is what you could do. Install stuffit if haven't already got it then right click on the 8gb file go to stuff it then choose Prefrences. Now click Segments at the top and Choose segments size of CD Rom 640mb, click ok. Now right click the file again choose Stuffit then Segment this will now seperate the file it to smaller segments. I had to split an 8gb dmg file up to dvd size and this is the way I did it.

To get the file back together again put the segments in the same directory on your mac and right click on the XXXXX.dmg.1.part01.sitx file then choose stuffit then unstuff, this will expand the file and bring them together into the orignal 8 gig dmg file.

Hope this sort of helps

paulrichy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.