Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
(an excerpt)...Arriving at the family's oceanside estate, the younger Bush quickly shed the suit and tie for casual wear, grabbed a tennis racket and whacked an orange ball for dog Spot to fetch. The president was still clutching the racket when he boarded a Segway, a standup, motorized scooter that resembles a push lawnmower.
The Segway went down on Bush's first attempt, but he stayed on his feet with a flying leap over the machine. Undeterred, he got on again. His father climbed on a second Segway and they cruised around the driveway at the estate at Walker's Point.
The president's twins, Jenna and Barbara, and former first lady Barbara Bush all took turns on the Segways. Earlier Thursday, first lady Laura Bush, the twins and the former president took a cruise in a white powerboat.
(full story http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/06/13/bush.weekend.ap/index.html )

Lol, but it's cool to see the President giving the Segways a try.

Attachments

• story.segway.fall.ap.jpg
    story.segway.fall.ap.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 895

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by Les Kern
It probably threw him off. I know I would.

I'd bound him to myself and drive him through the slums..All while saying "look at me, I'm a 10,000 dollar toy!"

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Stop teasing me

Originally posted by holmesf
I'd bound him to myself and drive him through the slums..All while saying "look at me, I'm a 10,000 dollar toy!"
urf, gurgle, bite tongue, be nice self

Must not say joke on tip of tongue...

Look at forum title ...

Whew, it's not the political forum. :)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Re: Stop teasing me

Whew, it's not the political forum. :)

Sure it is! :) Since they have a "soft" ban on pol, I feel lost.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
these are those things that you can't make lose their balance right?

it's pretty funny, whether you like or dislike bush.

having 2 might be pushing it.....

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
im trying to figure out if this looks bad for bush or segway, probably both.:D

iJon

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I personally criticize when I don't know if I could do any better myself. He should get credit for landing on his feet!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I thought they cost "only" $5,000.

I rode a Segway at the UCLA Book Festival in April, where the author of a book about them was attracting plenty of attention by letting people like me try them out. I didn't quite get my balance the first time I stepped on, but I just had to step off and back on to get settled and stable. I'm glad I didn't make a fool of myself because there was a big crowd around watching me!

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I thought they cost "only" $5,000.

Yes but we...umm...I mean he... bought two. One for him and one for good ole Dad. ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by e-coli
Yes but we...umm...I mean he... bought two. One for him and one for good ole Dad. ;)
You see, I thought he would be running up an down the slums yelling...

"look at me, I'm a 10,000 dollar toy!"

Which is as bad as walking into prison and yelling

"look at me, I'm a 10,000 dollar toy!" :eek:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
From nuclear weapons to $5000 auto-walkers...

As if Bush hasn't already f***ed with enough of our precious inventions, now he can travel a soaring fast 17mph for the whole world to see.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
Last I heard, the POTUS makes $400k a year.

If a guy making $400k a year wants to buy a Segway or two, who are we to say "boo" about it?

You know, you could be more persuasive if you picked your spots instead of just being negative about everything the man does.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
A Segway in the Bush

Nice to see that Mr. Bush takes an interest in new transport technology. Perhaps the Segway will benefit his father more and Junior will talk to his Senators about giving Segways more ubiquity in their country.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
A Segway is designed not to trip over, only the user can trip him/her/self over.

Gee Mr Bush, you run a country but you can't run a Segway.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
:rolleyes:

Good nite! Can y'all say anything that doesn't bash the prez?

I'm with wdlove, at least he landed on his feet. (Course no matter what slick willy did, he always landed on his feet. ;))

BTW, the pic looks like Laura is laughing at him. :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Stelliform
:rolleyes:

Good nite! Can y'all say anything that doesn't bash the prez?

I'm with wdlove, at least he landed on his feet. (Course no matter what slick willy did, he always landed on his feet. ;))

are you seriously saying that's not funny at all? it's not about bush bashing, it's about enjoying a laugh about a funny situation in general. no need to be offended :) :p

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
are you seriously saying that's not funny at all?

I think it is funny, (Especially since IMHO it looks like Laura is laughing at him... :D) but we both know that the Anti-Bush Zealots took this thread and ran with it.... Hmmm, ABZ... sounds like a good name for them... ;)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Stelliform
I think it is funny, (Especially since IMHO it looks like Laura is laughing at him... :D) but we both know that the Anti-Bush Zealots took this thread and ran with it.... Hmmm, ABZ... sounds like a good name for them... ;)

hah. i couldn't tell who the other person was at first, just thought it was great that they were just standing there.... all the better that it's his wife. hah

so you're telling me, that if something similar had been posted about clinton, that ACZ wouldn't take it and run with it? ;):p

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Being able to laugh at one's self is a great factor to have in one's character!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.