Buy 12" PB G4 now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SkudShark, Mar 19, 2004.

1. SkudShark macrumors member

SkudShark

Hi,

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to Apple, I was looking at getting one of the 12" PB G4's. The last Apple I owned was an old Graphite iBook.

So anyways, is now a good time to get one? One of my friends who has a 15" PB said that the 12" is due for a overhaul, and I didn't wanna buy and find out next month a new model came out.

Any news at all?

Also anyone used the Education loans before? I ended up with one but wondered how long I can have it without cashing it in. If a new PB is coming out soon I'd wanna hold off.

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I just recently went through the same dillema you are going through. Last Saturday I ordered the 12'' Powerbook after thinking about it for many months. I figured the updates that are coming are not going to be anything heart breaking.

There's nothing other than speculation going around right now. My guess are a slightly faster processor, maybe faster ram, a back lit keyboard and gigethernet. Nothing that is going to make the current 12'' powerbook pale in comparison.

I haven't received mine yet, as it is coming FedEx ground from CA so it won't be here until next week sometime.

I say go ahead and buy one, you may end up waiting forever.

3. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

SkudShark

Yea

I know what you mean, this is stressing me a bit. Building PC's is great, pull out the out-dated part, boom, updated. Laptops, well it's a whole new thing as I caught the desire to buy one later in the game.

I'd like the light up keyboard, gigabit ethernet is negligable fo rme, but a faster proc and ram are desirable, well ram isn't but a 1.25 would be cool.

It's a tough call, I could wait amonth but then this will probably just repeat itself and I'd be waiting forever :p

I guess, unless theres any real evidence of a revision, I should just get one now. Also any idea where to get a cheap 512mb stick of DDR ram for it? I see Kingston has DDR333 which will clock down to 266, but it doesn't say apple speicifically on it, will it work or do I HAVE to pay double the price for the apple seal of approval?

Sorry for all the questions.

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I bought a 512meg stick from Crucial to go in mine. I've already received it and now its taunting me from my filing cabinet because I don't have a laptop I can put it in. I did some looking around and Crucial seems to be the cheapest place to get memory from. Go to www.crucial.com/partners for a coupon code to save 5% off your order.

As a general rule, memory made for faster speeds will operate just fine at slower speeds. PC2700 will work just fine at PC2100 speeds.

5. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

SkudShark

Is that crucial ram just any DDR ram that works on any pc? I have a Kingston DDR 333 mhz laptop chip but not sure if it will work in the PB. Feel free to email me if you wanna take this chat off this board. I set myself to recieve mail on here.

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Yah, RAM is RAM these days. Apple and PCs are using the same stuff. That Kingston stick will probably work just fine in the PB.

7. Spyharpy macrumors member

Spyharpy

I'm in the same situation you are. I want to get a 12" Powerbook and 20" Cinema Display to replace my aging desktop setup. But with six months having gone by since the last revision, I know an update is looming. I'd rather not buy a laptop that is nearing the end of its life cycle. If you need one now, then by all means buy one. I'll be a little patient and wait for the next revision since it can't be that far away. I really don't care if the 12" gets updated to 1.24Ghz or a G5. I know it will be improved and just don't want to buy something now since the updated Powerbook will be sold for the same price or less.