Buy 12" PB G4 now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SkudShark, Mar 19, 2004.

  1. SkudShark macrumors member

    SkudShark

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2004
    #1
    Hi,


    I'm a complete n00b when it comes to Apple, I was looking at getting one of the 12" PB G4's. The last Apple I owned was an old Graphite iBook.

    So anyways, is now a good time to get one? One of my friends who has a 15" PB said that the 12" is due for a overhaul, and I didn't wanna buy and find out next month a new model came out.

    Any news at all?

    Also anyone used the Education loans before? I ended up with one but wondered how long I can have it without cashing it in. If a new PB is coming out soon I'd wanna hold off.
     
  2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2004
    #2
    I just recently went through the same dillema you are going through. Last Saturday I ordered the 12'' Powerbook after thinking about it for many months. I figured the updates that are coming are not going to be anything heart breaking.

    There's nothing other than speculation going around right now. My guess are a slightly faster processor, maybe faster ram, a back lit keyboard and gigethernet. Nothing that is going to make the current 12'' powerbook pale in comparison.

    I haven't received mine yet, as it is coming FedEx ground from CA so it won't be here until next week sometime.

    I say go ahead and buy one, you may end up waiting forever.
     
  3. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

    SkudShark

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2004
    #3
    Yea

    I know what you mean, this is stressing me a bit. Building PC's is great, pull out the out-dated part, boom, updated. Laptops, well it's a whole new thing as I caught the desire to buy one later in the game.

    I'd like the light up keyboard, gigabit ethernet is negligable fo rme, but a faster proc and ram are desirable, well ram isn't but a 1.25 would be cool.

    It's a tough call, I could wait amonth but then this will probably just repeat itself and I'd be waiting forever :p

    I guess, unless theres any real evidence of a revision, I should just get one now. Also any idea where to get a cheap 512mb stick of DDR ram for it? I see Kingston has DDR333 which will clock down to 266, but it doesn't say apple speicifically on it, will it work or do I HAVE to pay double the price for the apple seal of approval?

    Sorry for all the questions.
     
  4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2004
    #4
    I bought a 512meg stick from Crucial to go in mine. I've already received it and now its taunting me from my filing cabinet because I don't have a laptop I can put it in. I did some looking around and Crucial seems to be the cheapest place to get memory from. Go to www.crucial.com/partners for a coupon code to save 5% off your order.

    As a general rule, memory made for faster speeds will operate just fine at slower speeds. PC2700 will work just fine at PC2100 speeds.
     
  5. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

    SkudShark

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2004
    #5
    Is that crucial ram just any DDR ram that works on any pc? I have a Kingston DDR 333 mhz laptop chip but not sure if it will work in the PB. Feel free to email me if you wanna take this chat off this board. I set myself to recieve mail on here.




     
  6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2004
    #6
    Yah, RAM is RAM these days. Apple and PCs are using the same stuff. That Kingston stick will probably work just fine in the PB.
     
  7. Spyharpy macrumors member

    Spyharpy

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #7
    I'm in the same situation you are. I want to get a 12" Powerbook and 20" Cinema Display to replace my aging desktop setup. But with six months having gone by since the last revision, I know an update is looming. I'd rather not buy a laptop that is nearing the end of its life cycle. If you need one now, then by all means buy one. I'll be a little patient and wait for the next revision since it can't be that far away. I really don't care if the 12" gets updated to 1.24Ghz or a G5. I know it will be improved and just don't want to buy something now since the updated Powerbook will be sold for the same price or less.
     

Share This Page