Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Wait? For what exactly? What are the benefits of the supposedly Air 3 over the Air 2. At this point the Air 2 is fit for iOS 9, with all the speculation of force touch being added to the upcoming models... We honestly don't know what value that would be.

Air 2 is faster, awesome display, has 2GB of Ram, already optimized for iOS 9 SplitView. I don't see a earth shattering update for the Air 2. Perhaps a iPad Pro would be a compelling reason to wait, but what will Apple add that will peak interest. With so many unknowns... What's the point in waiting. The Air 2 is a great product to own now... Mind you at a discount. :D

Longer battery life? Maybe higher resolution, I don't know. And Force Touch is very underrated. It has the potential to be very useful.
And yes, the Air 2 is great, I own one myself. I'm just saying one can save money by waiting.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm just saying one can save money by waiting.

I understand the waiting game. But the point I'm making is if someone is interested in buying the Air 2, make sure to buy it at a discount.

Obviously, I wouldn't recommend anyone buying it at full price given that a possible update is around the corner. But I don't see a problem buying an Air 2 now...

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Id wait, given the sales numbers they will either improve the offering or reduce the price..

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I have the 1st gen air right now and am probably gonna wait for this year's model to come out. It's tempting to get the Air 2 cause the price is dropping but for good reason; the new model is out soon. iPads are one thing I don't upgrade every year only cause of the price.

Reactions: Codeseven

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I choose to wait since the next generation of iPad Air will come soon.

That is fine since an announcement on what will be released should be soon.

But if one chooses to wait even though the Air 2 has been on sale (I got one for $125 off) ask yourself what you are waiting for on the new device that will be worth it spending $499 for. Just sayin.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
That is fine since an announcement on what will be released should be soon.

But if one chooses to wait even though the Air 2 has been on sale (I got one for $125 off) ask yourself what you are waiting for on the new device that will be worth it spending $499 for. Just sayin.
certainly when improvements will likely be like mini 2 to 3

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Wait until Apple fixes the screen distortion from holding the back of iPad Air 2. Picked up one recently and that's the first thing I noticed so it hasn't been fixed.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I got an iPad Air 2 when it was released for really cheap via Best Buy. Then I sold it for more than a paid back in May because I never used it.

Bougt an lte version last week for $175 off brand new. I use it all the time now, and it's easily the best tablet experience on the market. If you need a tablet, go ahead and get it.

The most I can foresee the iPad Air 3 getting is a bump is processing power, force touch, and other minor improvements. This isn't android (which is great in its own right), you don't need to worry as much about having the newest thing.

The air 2 is still the most powerful tablet on the market, and will continue to meet you ones needs for a few more years. This is a tablet that could last you two years, or four if you aren't a demanding user.

Get it now and enjoy it. If the air 3 tempts you too much, keep the air 2 until the holidays. Then sale it, get an air 3 at a reduced price, and continue to enjoy the experience.

Or you can wait 2-3 more months for the air 3....but at that point why not wait some more?

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
I got an iPad Air 2 when it was released for really cheap via Best Buy. Then I sold it for more than a paid back in May because I never used it.

Bougt an lte version last week for $175 off brand new. I use it all the time now, and it's easily the best tablet experience on the market. If you need a tablet, go ahead and get it.

The most I can foresee the iPad Air 3 getting is a bump is processing power, force touch, and other minor improvements. This isn't android (which is great in its own right), you don't need to worry as much about having the newest thing.

The air 2 is still the most powerful tablet on the market, and will continue to meet you ones needs for a few more years. This is a tablet that could last you two years, or four if you aren't a demanding user.

Get it now and enjoy it. If the air 3 tempts you too much, keep the air 2 until the holidays. Then sale it, get an air 3 at a reduced price, and continue to enjoy the experience.

Or you can wait 2-3 more months for the air 3....but at that point why not wait some more?

I bought a 128gb air 2 with cellular last night at Best Buy and I'm loving it. It's making me realize how much I've missed my iPad. I ended up getting the apple smart case for it so I have something to protect it but that is going to get returned when my saddleback leather iPad Air 2 case arrives. So far I am very happy with the air 2, the only thing I do notice is the resolution of the screen when watching movies compared to my 6 plus the full had is nice on the iPhone but this one will work great till next years release and by then maybe a pro will be out and I'll have had the chance to see it and know if I want something like that or not. But for now my air 2 will do just fine.

billca11

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2015
The iPad Air 2 is very great. If you need it, don't need to wait. Seems no Air 3 this autumn, just a iPad Pro, which is good for office and business use.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
The Air 2 is a great tablet. I would say the best processing power improvement Apple had for sometime. Also 2GB is a big move from Apple. If I were OP, I would wait for Air 3 though.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Apple did a smart thing by announcing that the iPad Air 2 would get all the features in iOS 9. So undoubtedly it has encouraged some owners of the older Air device to upgrade to take advantage of the new multi-tasking features that are coming. I'd still be surprised if they didn't release an Air 3 by October this year.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Apple did a smart thing by announcing that the iPad Air 2 would get all the features in iOS 9. So undoubtedly it has encouraged some owners of the older Air device to upgrade to take advantage of the new multi-tasking features that are coming. I'd still be surprised if they didn't release an Air 3 by October this year.

September timeframe would be better. Alongside iPhones. At least that's what I hoped.

iPhone 6 has its own introduction event because it is a brand new thing with vastly increased screen sizes and new design. iPhone 6s is just a speed bump which I don't think need much introduction.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Just bought a space gray 16GB Air 2 new from Target for $399 this morning (check your local stores quickly for stock. By the time the afternoon rolled around, all of the stores around me were out of 16GB models except for the silver version. Not sure how long this offer is going). I'm really enjoying it even though it does vibrate with the speakers, but I usually wear headphones anyway. I like the size of the mini more, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I'm having more fun with TouchID than I thought I would too.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just bought a space gray 16GB Air 2 new from Target for $399 this morning (check your local stores quickly for stock. By the time the afternoon rolled around, all of the stores around me were out of 16GB models except for the silver version. Not sure how long this offer is going). I'm really enjoying it even though it does vibrate with the speakers, but I usually wear headphones anyway. I like the size of the mini more, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I'm having more fun with TouchID than I thought I would too.

Glad you enjoy. It's a great product... I think it's one of those products that's going to take awhile to be phased out.

I think when people upgrade to the Air 2 from older generation models will end up taking a few years to upgrade again. Maybe the iPad will see a spike in demand then later see a huge decline going forward.

Reactions: myrtlebee

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Doubt this years air will be worth upgrading from the air 2.

I doubt I even upgrade next years..the air 2 is so good even in a few years.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Doubt this years air will be worth upgrading from the air 2.

I doubt I even upgrade next years..the air 2 is so good even in a few years.
ipad 2 can last quite long. Even up to iPad Air 1 days. iPad Air 2 is such a huge improvement. Too good in fact. Probably will last until 3 years?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Well while you wait, I'll continue to enjoy my Air2 daily for the next 3 - 4 months (the one I got on sale a month ago for $100 off) .... there is always new tech around the corner. It always costs a premium and only occasionally is it worth the wait and additional cost.
It is obviously a personal preference but at this point in time, it is not wise to purchase an Air 2 unless (A) it is absolutely necessary, (B) there's a terrific sale, or (C) don't plan on keeping it for the long haul.

Within the next 2 months Apple should be making an announcement regarding new iPads. The Air 2 will be a year old by then. That it is 1 year closer to obsolescence. There are 4 potential scenarios:

1. The Air 3 is announced with significant improvements over the Air 2. If the improvements are worth the cost of the 3 over the 2, then buy the 3 and enjoy the new features. If not, then the 2 (at a lower price) will be an even better deal than it is now.
  2. The Air 3 is announced with no significant improvements over the Air 2. As with the Mini 3 vs 2, the Air 2 will be available at a lower price... again, a better deal than it is now. (if there is no processor difference between the 3 and 2 then the 2 is no closer to obsolescence than the 3)
  3. There is no Air 3. This is highly unlikely, but if this is the case then there will be more opportunities to purchase refurbed Air 2's, and more aggressive sales to keep sale of number of units up as market penetration increases.
  4. The iPad Pro is introduced. No one really knows what this mythical creature is. Some assume it will be a larger iPad. But it might be the same size as the current iPad (or slightly larger) with more capabilities... that might be highly desirable.
Other than A, B, C, I see no good reason to buy an Air 2 now.

Reactions: rui no onna

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
  1. The Air 3 is announced with significant improvements over the Air 2. If the improvements are worth the cost of the 3 over the 2, then buy the 3 and enjoy the new features. If not, then the 2 (at a lower price) will be an even better deal than it is now.
  2. The Air 3 is announced with no significant improvements over the Air 2. As with the Mini 3 vs 2, the Air 2 will be available at a lower price... again, a better deal than it is now. (if there is no processor difference between the 3 and 2 then the 2 is no closer to obsolescence than the 3)
  3. There is no Air 3. This is highly unlikely, but if this is the case then there will be more opportunities to purchase refurbed Air 2's, and more aggressive sales to keep sale of number of units up as market penetration increases.
  4. The iPad Pro is introduced. No one really knows what this mythical creature is. Some assume it will be a larger iPad. But it might be the same size as the current iPad (or slightly larger) with more capabilities... that might be highly desirable.

Only good reason to buy an Air 2 if there's a terrific deal... It's still a terrific product. I wouldn't pay full retail... Definitely not a wise thing to do.

But at this point Apple needs to rejuvenate the iPad.. Releasing a insignificant upgrade to the Air 2 wouldn't do much to intrigue buyers. But I think there's gonna be a Pro line... It would really interest buyers. I think there's not much to improve on the Air 2... It will be insignificant, especially after a significant improvement over the original Air.

The Mini 3 was a huge let down and having the internals of the Air 2 will help with pushing demand for the iPads. But my scenario is...

iPad Mini 4 - same internals of Air 2
iPad Air 3 - upgraded processor.
iPad Pro - bigger screen, force touch, stylus support

I think they will add more features to the Pro line to get buyers intrigued with that model.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It is obviously a personal preference but at this point in time, it is not wise to purchase an Air 2 unless (A) it is absolutely necessary, (B) there's a terrific sale, or (C) don't plan on keeping it for the long haul.

Within the next 2 months Apple should be making an announcement regarding new iPads. The Air 2 will be a year old by then. That it is 1 year closer to obsolescence. There are 4 potential scenarios:

If I were guessing (and that's all we can do), I'd guess something like 2. More specifically, an "update" like the iPad 3 -> iPad 4 update.

littelsquidge

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK

This. sracer, it seems you have very concisely answered the OP's question. I completely agree.

I'm guessing October announcement will be combination of 2+4 from your options with emphasis on the 'Pro' and 'Mini 4'. However, my hope is that the announcement will be 1+4 and the significantly improved Air 3 has all the rumoured 'Pro' features in a 9.7inch form factor.

Dream scenario, Apple chuck everything they can at all three ipad sizes. Tim Cook introduces a small movie, invites Phil Schiller up on stage, who just says 'Boom'. *Drops Mic*

Reactions: nj-morris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.