Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reservoirdog

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
I refuse to believe that this is more than a joke, but I'll humor you.

It's around 8 to 9 times faster in actual use.

Sorry, not a joke. I don't know how much better dual core/multi-core/octo-core processors are in reality from previous iterations.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
I have a mac pro 8 core 2.8ghz with 16gb ram and the 8800gt video card.

Now I just picked up for kicks a 24" 2.8ghz imac. Freakin thing gets better xbench scores than the mac pro. Feels faster too. In video encoding test the mac pro was about 30% faster.

Don't believe the hype. The next mac pro won't feel any faster it just might encode video a little faster. Pro application users will notice a difference but average users would not notice a difference from a 2.66ghz quad to a 3.2ghz octo.

kahine

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Your Imac beats your Mac Pro in bench scores ? Not sure what is going on there

I have both a recent 24" Imac and Mac Pro 3.2 with 10GB and my Mac Pro pummels both it and my Macbook Pro in every benchmark I have ran it with - geekbench and xbench

jacefarm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Los Angeles
Behold... I shall wait.

I've made my decision.

I will coax another 5 months out of my Dual 533 MHz G4 / 1.25 GB RAM / 128 MB ATI Radeon 9200. Alas, gaming went by the wayside too long ago, but this puppy still gets the Photoshop done. Amazing longevity.

But come Nehalem, I'm going fer the gold baby! Ruhrick! (authentic frontier gibberish) :D

mikeflynn

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2008
Well damn. I'm in the market to buy a Mac Pro (as more of a central home computer and for more hard-core tasks) and after reading all of this, I still don't know.

I'm leaning towards just buying the damn thing, hell maybe this week...

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
They are saying that at least on the server side of things the Nehalem's will outperform the penryns by a large margin. Early tests have shown ths to be the case even on early crippled setups. Time will tell, but I am anxiously awaiting these in MP's.

mistafreeze

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
I know this is the macpro thread, but is it for sure the new macbook pros will be out on sept 9th? do you think they will be shipping then?

I ask because I recently decided I might as well buy a new mac pro, and sell my laptop, i was hoping for a refresh on the macpro in September, but it seems only the macbook pro will be getting refreshed.

I used to own a mac pro, it was a beast, I bought it on day one, and it wasn't updated by the time I sold it (over a year after).

So maybe a new update wont be happening for the mac pro?

I guess I need to sell my laptop as fast as possible.

Also, can you run any games on the macpro, how good is the video processor? I went through hell waiting on apple to ship out my upgrade ATI card, and the gaming sucked.

I design games using the unreal engine, and would like to be able to run it with no problems.

To be able to play crisis would be nice as well.

I should note, on my macbook pro (recent purchase) with 4gb of ram (the high end 15 inch) I can play UE3, and call of duty 4. (on windows)

is there a certain graphics card I should pickup?

I don't want to use ATI if it can be avoided, unless the stock is fine giving no problems.

I will be running dual 23's

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008

Now I just picked up for kicks a 24" 2.8ghz imac. Freakin thing gets better xbench scores than the mac pro. Feels faster too. In video encoding test the mac pro was about 30% faster.

1. You must be very rich
2. The performance difference is probably because of the ATI card in the iMac. ATI is better designed for Mac OS X than Nvidia.

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
1. You must be very rich

It should be "I am" unless you are maxing out your credit cards. Perhaps you are trying to stimulate the economy? I don't know of anyone who has a Mac Pro with 16G of ram and "picks up" a 24" iMac just for kicks.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I know this is the macpro thread, but is it for sure the new macbook pros will be out on sept 9th? do you think they will be shipping then?

The only people who know work in Apple and they are not talking - as they never do.

So maybe a new update wont be happening for the mac pro?

There is nothing to upgrade. Intel is making no new CPUs or systemboard chipsets using the current technology. We have to wait for the new Core i7 platform to launch late this year or early next.

Also, can you run any games on the macpro, how good is the video processor?

The current top-end "gaming" card offered by Apple is the nVidia 8800GT. It's faster then the 8600GS on the MacBook Pro so if your MBP can run the game, the Mac Pro can as well.

ATI is also offering two new cards for the Mac Pro via retail.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
There is nothing to upgrade. Intel is making no new CPUs or systemboard chipsets using the current technology. We have to wait for the new Core i7 platform to launch late this year or early next.

So, new Mac Pros a week before MacWorld 2009 (just like last year)? :confused:

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
I have no recollection of ANY of the displays debuting at MacWorld. I don't claim to have any knowledge of them though. When I bought my G4 and the studio display to go with it, I don't remember an announcement for the display along with the tower. Someone correct me and bring me joy.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
I have no recollection of ANY of the displays debuting at MacWorld. I don't claim to have any knowledge of them though. When I bought my G4 and the studio display to go with it, I don't remember an announcement for the display along with the tower. Someone correct me and bring me joy.

Apple can just "silently" update the Cinema Displays along with the Mac Pro before MacWorld 2009.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
You sort of missed the point of my post; I don't remember any announcements, which means that they have been updated silently a lot.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I feel with my next purchase being the Mac Pro I shall wait till Macworld and see what comes out, as I have a Quad Core Windows Machine which does the work I need for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.