Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Molson1020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
So I am in the market to purchase a Canon 6D with kit 24-105mmL lens, and found a guy on Craigslist who has a bundle he selling. Included is the 6D, 24-105mmL lens, four batters (one OEM, three third party), two chargers (one OEM, one third party), battery grip, and camera bag for $1,500.

He claims that the camera and lens are in excellent to near perfect condition, as he does shoots roughly two times a month and always in studio (so not much exposure to the elements). I asked him what the shutter count was, but he didn't know and said that he was estimating around 20,000. He said he is selling as he is upgrading to a Nikon 810. I am obviously very interested in this, and was hoping I could get some advice from some veteran photographers.

What should I specifically check/look out for on the camera/lens when I meet the guy tomorrow? Is there a program I can download (for Mac) that I can check the shutter count on the spot? Anything else I should think about that I haven't yet? I really appreciate all he help!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I hope you know to meet the guy at the local police department. Many local police departments will give you a room or an area of their lobby to do the deal in safety. The seller knows you will have at least $1500 in cash. People have been hurt for far less.

Molson1020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
I hope you know to meet the guy at the local police department. Many local police departments will give you a room or an area of their lobby to do the deal in safety. The seller knows you will have at least $1500 in cash. People have been hurt for far less.

We are actually meeting at a local coffee shop. So definitely a public place.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've bought and sold camera gear via craigslist a few times. Here are a few no-nonsense rules:
(1) If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.
(2) Meet in a public place. A coffee shop works.
(3) Deal only in cash.
(4) Carefully double-check all information before you buy. Even if the guy knows the shutter count: always double-check. Take your computer, shoot a few pictures and then check the shutter count in the EXIF data. (With Nikons it is easier to check the shutter count with in-camera jpgs rather than RAW files.)
(5) Does the type and state of the gear “fit” with the person? Some people baby their equipment while others abuse it. If there is an obvious mismatch (e. g. a guy selling a high-end camera who seemingly doesn't have a clue about cameras), be careful.
(6) Is the owner a smoker? (I forgot to ask once, and got a perfectly functioning flash that smelled like an ashtray.)[/B]

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
You can ask him to take a photo and send it to you. Then you can check the EXIF.

Honestly I wouldn't do it when you can get a new one for $1400 body only

Here one that's an open box which carries the full warrantee

http://www.adorama.com/ICA6DOB.html

Or this one for $100 more with the kit lens.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA6DKOB.html

I' know you said that this Craigslist deal comes with a lens ($500), a grip and battery, oh and a bag. Those are used items which carry very little value. You can check out Keh.com and crunch the numbers. Me personally if I'm dropping over $1k for a gadget I would need to have a warrantee or a professional to check out the gear. Using a reputable dealer you will get at least some peace of mind.

Reactions: Fancuku

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
The 6d and 24-105 is a slightly odd choice for a professional studio set up?. If your not in a rush, rumour has it the 5d mk4 is set to be announced shortly.

This will probably see a rush of 5d3's to the second hand market, with a likely knock on effect on other similar models

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Get a refurbished one directly from Canon with warranty. They will trade in old Canon bodies for hundreds off the published refurb price. The wife and purchased several refurbed bodies and lots of L glass that way.

davew41

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
get used gear off of a reputable site such as keh.com, plus sites have a 60 day warranty also it is not worth screwing around from a local. they always want way to much and most of the time there is a hidden thing that might be wrong..

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
So I am in the market to purchase a Canon 6D with kit 24-105mmL lens, and found a guy on Craigslist who has a bundle he selling. Included is the 6D, 24-105mmL lens, four batters (one OEM, three third party), two chargers (one OEM, one third party), battery grip, and camera bag for $1,500.
SO what did you end up doing here?
Meet him and buy it, or ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.