Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Hey there!

I've been asked to design a simple website, pictures and text, for a family friend.

I am going to use one of the iWeb templates, and upload the finished website via FTP.

I need to know:

1. The best place to buy domain names (.co.uk or .com)
2. A good, cheap. hosting site in the UK - compatible with iWeb (I have heard some servers have problems with iWeb uploads)
3. A free program to upload the iWeb folder, to my site.

If someone could post brief instructions, or tell me if this is do-able - it would be great.

I gave a rough price of £20 to buy the domain name, £15 for the hosting, and then £50 to do all the work in iWeb. Too much? Too little?

Thanks MR Buddies! :)

L

Lau

josh.thomas said:
Thanks for the reply, but like I said, I'm in the UK.. and all the prices on that site are in $.

Doesn't mean you can't use them, and often US prices are cheaper for us because of the exchange rate. I use just-the-name.co.uk for my domain names and asmallorange.com for hosting, and the hosting is cheaper because it's in dollars.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Brilliant, thanks Lau.

Thanks to ShareWare, to :)

How do I get my webpages on there then, upload the folder iWeb created?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Transmit can't be beaten for FTP. It's just perfection.

UKREG.com are great for domain registration.

Fasthosts aren't great for hosting (they try sell it through UKREG). I use a dedicated server and sell on a bit of hosting space, but if you're after something cheap and cheerful and reliable try ASO... Lots of MR members swear by them...

;)

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
I get unmetered hosting for £2/month from Inspiron Hosting. I recently re-designed the site, it just aint been uploaded yet (read: thats not the redesign). :eek:

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
1. The best place to buy domain names (.co.uk or .com)
GoDaddy is great for domains.

2. A good, cheap. hosting site in the UK - compatible with iWeb (I have heard some servers have problems with iWeb uploads)
Not in the UK, but TJR Networks is great for hosting.

3. A free program to upload the iWeb folder, to my site.
You could try Transmit or Interarchy (both have trial periods and are cheap enough to buy if you like either of them). Otherwise, check out MacUpdate. :)

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
isn't it a fact that that webhost could be anywhere in the world? the webhost could be in china and still carry the co.uk name. or is there a downside to this?

or is it the reason to host the webpage in a different country because of country laws? example, this is an extreme example, but an example nevertheless. let us say, i want to host a page about drugs (how to plant, prevent detection, white paper on quality etc). i would choose a webhost in the netherlands because (i believe) drugs are legal in the netherlands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.