Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Ok I posted a while ago, Mac saveup, which to buy? or something like that, but now I wanna ask this. I make about $150 every two weeks so about $300 a month. What kind of Mac do you recommend getting on a pay like that? I don't care how fast, how slow, how portable, how much RAM, hard drive space etc. there is, just what would you recommend getting.

guyute

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
Iowa
I recommend the best computer that you can afford that will run OSX. I switched and truly believe that this os is what makes me want my mac. It doesn't hurt that my first true mac experience is on a G5. But even with a basic emac, you should be happy.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
slooksterPSV said:
Ok I posted a while ago, Mac saveup, which to buy? or something like that, but now I wanna ask this. I make about $150 every two weeks so about $300 a month. What kind of Mac do you recommend getting on a pay like that? I don't care how fast, how slow, how portable, how much RAM, hard drive space etc. there is, just what would you recommend getting.

I know I responded to your last question on this, but I'll say it again - we would all recommend you get the mac that best fits your needs. If you are saving $300 a month, someone here could recommend getting an eMac in 3 months time. Or, someone could recommend getting a G5 and 23" Display after 12 months of saving $300/month. It depends on what YOU want.

That assumes that you are saving $300/month for your mac - is that what you meant? or is it that you are making $300/month and saving a portion of that? The general consensus is usually (as posted above) - buy the fastest mac you can with the money you have.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I'd recommend either the 12" iBook or the eMac. Get the eMac if you don't need portability, or get the iBook if you prefer something portable.

Good Luck and keep us informed of your Mac purchasing journey!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
slooksterPSV said:

Since you don't seem to care about specs or portability, I'd say buy a used or refurb eMac. Will give you the best bang for your limited bucks. Try powermax.com or smalldog.com.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
go for a brand new emac you'll get the latest software, the improvement in speed is quite good over the older ones
$749 with edu can't really beat that

rdowns said:
Since you don't seem to care about specs or portability, I'd say buy a used or refurb eMac. Will give you the best bang for your limited bucks. Try powermax.com or smalldog.com.

bastardx

macrumors member
May 16, 2003
Eugene, OR
I would suggest you look at macs, and actually play with them for a while, run applications that you would on a daily basis, like if you are planning on using the Mac for Photoshop or FCP, then see if you can try those out.Although I would suggest this when you have saved up for a few months more, because there may be a machine that is out that will blow you away, and you will want to save up for that.

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
well for $300 a month you can finance the following rig from Apple:

Dual 2 GHz G5
8 GB RAM
Dual 250 GB HD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Dual 23" Displays
Airport + Bluetooth
Superdrive
iSight
40 Gb iPod
Logitech z-680 speakers
and an Airport Extreme Base Station

of course, that is almost $14K paid over 60 months with a lot of interest.

... but you could do it!

funny how all those specs came out to exactly $300 a month... it was $295, but I figured you really needed a base station to go along with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.