Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2023
Here I am, looking to purchase my first Mac in years (I've been on the PC side of things), and I'm undecided between getting a Mac Mini with the M2 Pro chip or waiting to see if the M3 models are released soon.

I work as a designer and editor, primarily using the Affinity Suite, and I also produce podcasts with Reaper as my main tool. Right now, I'm leaning towards buying the Mac Mini M2 Pro with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD as soon as tomorrow 🤣, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, guys.

Reactions: richmlow

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Here I am, looking to purchase my first Mac in years (I've been on the PC side of things), and I'm undecided between getting a Mac Mini with the M2 Pro chip or waiting to see if the M3 models are released soon.

I work as a designer and editor, primarily using the Affinity Suite, and I also produce podcasts with Reaper as my main tool. Right now, I'm leaning towards buying the Mac Mini M2 Pro with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD as soon as tomorrow 🤣, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, guys.
The M3-Pro is only a slight upgrade from the M2-Pro. The M3 has some downgrades and some upgrades and the net effect is only about 6% better than M2.

That said, look at the prices. My bet is the the M2-pro will be discounted by many sellers after the M3-pro comes out. But I suspect not before. I bought a Mac Mini M2-pro with same specs (16GB 512GB) but with also the 10GB Ethernet added so as to get faster access to my Synology NAS. It has very good performance for the tasks you will be doing.

No. I'm not saying which to get. Either would work for you

Reactions: kenen

kenen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2023
Thanks for sharing your thougts. I pretty much feel the same way. For what I'm gonna use the Mac mini for, m2 pro gonna be a solid setup for a long time. Plus, there's no sign that M3 versions are coming out anytime soon.

Maybe wrong but, i think ill stick to the original plan.

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
M2 2 Pro Mac Mini all the way .... right now: compared to the M3 (from iMac reviews) it still benches very well. Who knows when, and if ever, the M3 Pro Mac Mini will be out.

Based on the work you do, something speaks for the standard M2 mini in a 16/512 config, but there are real benefits in the improved cpu and gpu performance for those times you're working on larger and more complicated projects.

Every review you can find, from 'creatives' like you 🤣, has nothing but universal acclaim for the M2 Pro Mac Mini: fast, silent, stable, and gets the job done across graphic design, photo editing, audio and music creation, as well as video.

Looks like Reaper has a native ARM version that runs flawlessly on Apple silicon, so that should be covered.

I'm still running my m1 Mac Mini (16/256) connected to a 32" 4K monitor - and after almost 3 years it's still perfect. I tried the M2 Pro version for a while, and loved it, but my work could be done 95% on the efficiency cores, so was clearly overkill.

Last edited:
Reactions: richmlow and kenen

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002

That sounds like a good plan!

However, you should consider the 32GB RAM option, as opposed to the 16GB RAM option.

richmlow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.