Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MNR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2014
hi,
I need your advices. I want to replace my husband MacBook Pro and offer him a new one for Christmass because the screen of his laptop is coming apart.
He mainly uses his MacBook pro for programming, internet browsing, some picture things, and work sometimes from home with Citrix... so not a heavy use.

Here is his current configuration
MacBook Pro 15 inch late 2008
4 go ram. SSD 256
2.4 Intel core 2 duo

He doesn't need the fancy Touch ID bar. So I was thinking perhaps I can still buy the previous model? If yes what should be the best place to score a nice price deal? (In the us)
Thank you for your advices,

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
2015 15" model will be a great computer for a long time.

I suggest you get one WITHOUT a "discrete" (added) GPU (graphics processor).
They seem to run longer with fewer problems.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
hi,
I need your advices. I want to replace my husband MacBook Pro and offer him a new one for Christmass because the screen of his laptop is coming apart.
He mainly uses his MacBook pro for programming, internet browsing, some picture things, and work sometimes from home with Citrix... so not a heavy use.

Here is his current configuration
MacBook Pro 15 inch late 2008
4 go ram. SSD 256
2.4 Intel core 2 duo

He doesn't need the fancy Touch ID bar. So I was thinking perhaps I can still buy the previous model? If yes what should be the best place to score a nice price deal? (In the us)
Thank you for your advices,

Definitely recommend the previous model in that case. The dGPU models (discrete graphics hardware) have more powerful graphics, but are also somewhat error-prone. But seven years is enough that even the non-dGPU models may be faster than what he's got now.

You can order the previous year model without dGPU from Apple's site directly. Their clearance/refurbished section sometimes has 15" macs at decent prices, otherwise, check other places like B&H and look around to see what they've got. I would definitely say get a machine with 16GB of RAM; in the 2015 models, it's soldered in and can't be upgraded later.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
I recommend you have him be a part of the purchase. He will use it for a long time it seems, so you want to make sure he gets what works for him. I understand the surprise for gifts and all...but for these types of gifts it is best to involve the one receiving the gift.

Reactions: MNR and MarcBou
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.