Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
what mac should I get?

I will be using it for word processing and some light photo editing and maybe a game now and then. I will not need the net or any thing for video but with the high price Apple is known for I want one that will last many years seeing there is always a new Os coming out with higher specs then the one before.Thanks

dbater

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Victoria, Canada
what mac should I get?

I will be using it for word processing and some light photo editing and maybe a game now and then. I will not need the net or any thing for video but with the high price Apple is known for I want one that will last many years seeing there is always a new Os coming out with higher specs then the one before.Thanks

First off if you compare what you are getting... hardware and software in the package it is not and I repeat is not more expensive. All you need is an iMac, put as much 3rd party memory in that you can afford combined with the fastest processor you can afford and you will have a great machine. How long will it last... for me until the next machine comes out...but that's only me! enjoy

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
what mac should I get?

depends on how much u want to spend...
if u want a portable, ud be fine with a macbook
if u want a want a desktop and a new monitor, an imac
and if u want a desktop and have a monitor, a mini

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Do you prefer portability over a big screen?

How important is gaming for you?

If you want a notebook which you can play games well on, you are looking at MacBook Pro

If you would rather have the bigger display, have a look at the 20" and 24" iMacs. They have a dedicated GPU, they are plently powerful enough, and for what they are, they are quite inexpensive. :)

seanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
gaming in not a big issue right now as I have my fully loaded windows one with ATI X1900XT 512MB card. The main use of this machine will be word processing. I'm doing a lot of schooling and study at home right now and write a small newsletter/magazine and my windows PC keeps letting me down. I do not really need any thing big just something that will not let me down like My windows one is doing

seanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
thanks but one more question? With the last few mac upgrades being quit. Does anyone know if there are any updates to the macbook coming soon. I would hate to get one just to have them ship with core 2 due later.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
thanks but one more question? With the last few mac upgrades being quit. Does anyone know if there are any updates to the macbook coming soon. I would hate to get one just to have them ship with core 2 due later.

if u can wait, wait til the end of the month. but all in all, the core 2's won't make much, if any difference in performance for you. though i kno, no matter wut u need it for, its nice to have the latest and greatest for the price u pay. tho that said, once the core 2's come out, the cores will be much cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.