Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Hi, because of the prescence of yellow screen tint on half of my iPad Pro screen I have decided that i will be purchasing AppleCare fo my iPad Pro now because showing this on a store wont be that easy and also because the only store near my house has no appointments available for the genius bar.
But I have a few questions:
- The main reason I am purchasing this is for the express replacement service, which as I understand allows me to request another iPad Pro and they send it immediately and after I receive it I send my defective iPad Back, this would be great as I need to have always an IPP available it's my only working device at this time, so I wanted to know if anyone has used this? Does this service work as expected with no problems from Apple?
- Also if I receive another defective iPad Pro can I send the remplacement back until I receive one with no problems at all?
- What other benefits does AppleCare have? Is it worth it?

Thanks, here is a pic of my IPP

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 310

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
When I bought mine I got it. The $699 replacement fee scared me. The overall investment though seemed to high and I ended up returning the item. Luckily i was given one to use for a while (it has apple care). For instance something like the mini 4 which I got on sale for $315 after tax I would not buy apple care for because the replacement price is not much and apple care is already 1/3 the cost of buying another one.

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
When I bought mine I got it. The $699 replacement fee scared me. The overall investment though seemed to high and I ended up returning the item. Luckily i was given one to use for a while (it has apple care). For instance something like the mini 4 which I got on sale for $315 after tax I would not buy apple care for because the replacement price is not much and apple care is already 1/3 the cost of buying another one.

Sorry I didnt get it, I thought that if my screen has tint, I just get charged temporarily for a new one but then i send mine back and charge gets cancelled? So why would the charge scare you, sorry for the ignorance but i dont understand how AppleCare works

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
The charge for replacing a broken out of warranty one is what scares me sorry for not being clear. Yea they should just replace yours because of the tint. I have never dealt with that myself so I don't know. I just meant apple care for an extra year of coverage is too much to pay on a $300 device like the mini 4, but on the pro I think it makes more sense.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Well naturally any charge that's temporary would scare people because the funds are tied up until they are released. Anything could go wrong in that period of getting the replacement and then sending the original back and hoping no further damage happens in transit.

Reactions: baypharm

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Sorry I didnt get it, I thought that if my screen has tint, I just get charged temporarily for a new one but then i send mine back and charge gets cancelled? So why would the charge scare you, sorry for the ignorance but i dont understand how AppleCare works

I think they mean that if they drop the iPad and break it, they would have to pay $699.

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
There was an article recently on how extended warranties are always a bad deal. But with my $800+ Apple products, I always buy it. It makes upgrading a bit easier, I believe, and buying/selling a laptop with a warranty is less dicey. In this case, I'm not too worried about the screen, I think it looks awesome, but it provides some peace of mind. also, when the new one comes out in 18 months it will make my current iPad easier to sell.

I'd be unlikely to bother with a $300 device as well.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
There was an article recently on how extended warranties are always a bad deal.

On average, over the long term, you will save money by not buying extended warranties. If this were not the case, these companies would not be offering them :) I have paid for whole new computers with the money I have saved by not buying AppleCare over the years.

But there are always exceptions. If you are not average (fumblefingers, perhaps?), then AppleCare might be just what you need.

A.

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
You can go to Apple site and put in your country for AppleCare+ and it will explain in detail what you need to do and if you wanted to you could telephone Apple and have them explain it. Might cut down on the confusion, lol.

I personally don't think you should purchase AppleCare+ just because you are in search of a better screen color, if you think your product is defective then it's covered for the first year, take it in and have it replaced.

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
You can go to Apple site and put in your country for AppleCare+ and it will explain in detail what you need to do and if you wanted to you could telephone Apple and have them explain it. Might cut down on the confusion, lol.

I personally don't think you should purchase AppleCare+ just because you are in search of a better screen color, if you think your product is defective then it's covered for the first year, take it in and have it replaced.

Yeah that's my idea right now I'll just try to take it to the Genius Bar I just hope the genius agrees and they just give me a replacement, most times when I have gone they just tell me to send it for it to be repaired and I hate that!
My big problem is I only have one apple store nearby, it's always packed, there are no available hours to make a genius bar reservation, I just hope if they do replace it the new one is not defective.

Thanks for all the answers

Reactions: PattyMc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.