Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgoni1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Hi all, So I had a 2012 MBP that broke so now I am filling in with a 2008 MBP. Definitely time to switch to the 2016 15" model.
I think I will be opting for the 512Gb, but I am also considering doing 256 and using OneDrive or Google Drive to let me access my files across the partition a bit more seamlessly (Recommendations?)

My work computer has been a PC on which I use Excel and Adobe Suite often.
I have a few questions about useability:

Firstly, is there any way to make the function keys the default when running Windows? I looked at some videos online and found that the multimedia keys are the default on Windows.
Second, how does the keyboard formatting affect people who have switched Is it easy to go back and forth from Windows on a Mac Keyboard to Windows on a windows keyboard?
I have always liked having both a delete and backspace key, and see that there is no "Del" on the touch bar, and there area a few other quirks that I want to be ready with
Third, I really enjoy using Adobe on a PC, but have not used it on a Mac since like 2009- I think the consumer license would let me use it on either windows or mac, but if I don't have the choice, is it worth installing on the Mac instead of the PC?
Fourth Similarly, will I have to buy two licenses for Microsoft Office?

Sorry for a ton of questions, but answers to any part of this would be incredibly helpful in peace of mind when I go to buy! :)

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Function keys can be set as the default keys on Windows.

You can run Windows off a portable SSD if you'd like. I carry my gaming partition like this and it boots on any computer.

Reactions: mgoni1

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Hi all, So I had a 2012 MBP that broke so now I am filling in with a 2008 MBP. Definitely time to switch to the 2016 15" model.
I think I will be opting for the 512Gb, but I am also considering doing 256 and using OneDrive or Google Drive to let me access my files across the partition a bit more seamlessly (Recommendations?)

My work computer has been a PC on which I use Excel and Adobe Suite often.
I have a few questions about useability:

Firstly, is there any way to make the function keys the default when running Windows? I looked at some videos online and found that the multimedia keys are the default on Windows.
Second, how does the keyboard formatting affect people who have switched Is it easy to go back and forth from Windows on a Mac Keyboard to Windows on a windows keyboard?
I have always liked having both a delete and backspace key, and see that there is no "Del" on the touch bar, and there area a few other quirks that I want to be ready with
Third, I really enjoy using Adobe on a PC, but have not used it on a Mac since like 2009- I think the consumer license would let me use it on either windows or mac, but if I don't have the choice, is it worth installing on the Mac instead of the PC?
Fourth Similarly, will I have to buy two licenses for Microsoft Office?

Sorry for a ton of questions, but answers to any part of this would be incredibly helpful in peace of mind when I go to buy! :)

1) Yes can be defaulted to Function Keys
2) Should be no problem there are a couple of key combos to get back your delete and print screen keys alf/cmd/F11 and cmd/backspace if I recall correctly
3) I think there is little advantage use on Mac or Windows for Adobe no doubt there is some tiny detail for extreme users
4) Depends on your licence, my company gives me 5 free ones, others have multiple but the reg code can be extracted and used if the laptop id is the same, not sure if bootcamp uses same id, it should do if it's from a low level source

Reactions: mgoni1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.