Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you recommend to learn as first languages?

• Total voters

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I don't think it matters much. Just like learning how to read and write a language, the first and most important step in your life is to learn how to talk: There's no basic "talking language" we use, we learn what our parents speak.

If you want to start off with Obj-C, I see no problem with it. First, you'll want to start off basic and expand into the territory.

That can be tricky, because many textbooks will start you off using pointers and referencing in ways you wouldn't understand as a novice.

So I can see where the "learn C first" things are coming from!

Vaxuun

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Denmark
Thanks for the still incoming nice replies :)

But I think I chose my way:

I want to go the iPhone way, but I guess knowing the Mac API could be nice too, so I am not sure to read Aaron Hillegass before Dave Mark or Dave Mark before Aaron Hillegass. But heck, I got two books before Cocoa :)

Only question (which doesn't matter so much yet):
Do you find the books reasonable?
Hillegass or Mark first? :)

Thanks! :D

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Thanks for the still incoming nice replies :)

But I think I chose my way:

I want to go the iPhone way, but I guess knowing the Mac API could be nice too, so I am not sure to read Aaron Hillegass before Dave Mark or Dave Mark before Aaron Hillegass. But heck, I got two books before Cocoa :)

Only question (which doesn't matter so much yet):
Do you find the books reasonable?
Hillegass or Mark first? :)

Thanks! :D

I would read Aaron's book first. Cocoa Touch is based on Cocoa with a different UI backbone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.