Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
So every day I take my MacBook Pro to school for media arts class (I find it easier/faster to do projects on my MBP than on the schools 1.25 PMG4s)

Today I did what I do every morning. Unplug everything from the MacBook Pro, close the lid, put it in the soft case, then put it in my bookbag. So 6th period comes around and someone wanted to check out my laptop, and I go to grab it, and it must have been 85-95 degrees C. I was seriously shocked because it hurt (I almost dropped it, but I held on because I would rather take the pain, than drop my $2000+ laptop)

So after I let it cool down for 40 minutes, I check it out and the battery is nearly dead. Is there some way my laptop was turned on while in my bookbag?

How does this happen?

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Its not unheard of for the new MBP's to turn on while being transported. You'll have to do more research though since I've only heard of it in passing (some threads on forums).

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
it either didn't shut down properly or it woke up in your bag. with no ventilation in the sleeve and bag, the fans probably worked until the battery was drained.

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
Some people say this is a known problem, now is this if you just shut the lid while it is on, or is it when you shut it down completely, or is it both. This is starting to scare me..

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
It's unlikely to be a firmware/software thing, just a lil' glitch. Sometimes if you time the closing of your screen wrong, like, if you're also connecting/deconnecting an iPod or another device, the machine can "forget" you closed the lid.

PodHead

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
Boise, ID
It's unlikely to be a firmware/software thing, just a lil' glitch. Sometimes if you time the closing of your screen wrong, like, if you're also connecting/deconnecting an iPod or another device, the machine can "forget" you closed the lid.
True...I put mine to sleep once and closed the lid. I guess the vibration of the lid closing woke it...or it wasn't fully sleep yet. Either way it drained itself and left me wondering for weeks what happened.:confused:

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
It doesn't "forget" you closed the lid - plugging/unplugging anything from the machine will cause it to wake up again.

It could also be bluetooth related - there's an option in system preferences that stops bluetooth devices waking it up.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I'm running a CD MBP which is a replacement for a chronically problematic MBP.

This same thing happens whenever I just close the lid instead of putting it to sleep through the menu. My pre-replacement MBP didn't do this, and it's really annoying. Not BT, internet, or program-running related. And it is really iritating. It may sound weird, but one of the reasons I bought a mac was because, unlike with windows laptops, you could close the lid and they would pretty much instantly sleep. What is even more annoying is that it is not really an issue I can go see apple about...what are they going to do about it?

theyoda3

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
On the MBP, make sure you wait for the sleep light to not only come on, but to pulse as well when you put it to sleep. Just having it light up means that it's saving info to the hard drive, but when the light pulses is when it is actually sleeping.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
USB device plugged in?

My (original) MacBook Pro did that if I left USB-based ExpressCards plugged in. The ExpressCard Update 1.0 fixed the problem, though. (And I would imagine that the C2D MBPs would have that already applied.)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
It may sound weird, but one of the reasons I bought a mac was because, unlike with windows laptops, you could close the lid and they would pretty much instantly sleep.

That's not weird. It's a major plus for me too.

I've not had this happen to my powerbooks. That's not to say it doesn't happen. Study the conditions that lead to this is the only thing I can suggest.

Ollie Cromwell

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
London
So every day I take my MacBook Pro to school for media arts class (I find it easier/faster to do projects on my MBP than on the schools 1.25 PMG4s)

Today I did what I do every morning. Unplug everything from the MacBook Pro, close the lid, put it in the soft case, then put it in my bookbag. So 6th period comes around and someone wanted to check out my laptop, and I go to grab it, and it must have been 85-95 degrees C. I was seriously shocked because it hurt (I almost dropped it, but I held on because I would rather take the pain, than drop my $2000+ laptop)

So after I let it cool down for 40 minutes, I check it out and the battery is nearly dead. Is there some way my laptop was turned on while in my bookbag?

How does this happen?

Sounds more like the machine did not go to sleep properly, sitting in a sealed case churning out heat. I have a new C2D MBP and use a case with mine. I have had similar experiences with my old Dell work laptop. I always make sure it has fully shut down before putting it into a case to carry around. The startup time in my mbp is so fast i dont see the point in putting it to sleep.

:rolleyes:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmm, that is strange, i transport mine alot and have never had it turn on me. My first guess would be you were running some software in the background that prevented sleep.

rstorm

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
Or any laptop for that matter.

Unless I will not be using my PB for an extended time I always just close the lid and put in my bag. Never had a problem.

On a MBP CD I just set up for my boss it did not sleep when closing the lid (light would not pulse). Using the Apple/sleep option and then closing the lid did work (did pulse). After checking sys pref's and turning off wake options it still would not sleep by closing the lid. Shut it down and took the battery out, reinstalled it and tried again and it now properly sleeps by just closing the lid!

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
My MacBook has exhibited various strange behaviour regarding sleeping and shutting down. It has never switched itself on in my bag however, that situation could potentially be serious for the hard drive, considering it natural for the laptop to bump around in your backpack.

I think I'll start shutting mine down if it's going into the backpack from now on!

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
This happened with my MacBook Core Duo a week ago. I put it to sleep and placed it into my laptop bag. I took it out when I got home and it was burning hot. It almost melted the plastic in the bag. I've never had this happen with my 12" PowerBook.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
My MacBook has exhibited various strange behaviour regarding sleeping and shutting down. It has never switched itself on in my bag however, that situation could potentially be serious for the hard drive, considering it natural for the laptop to bump around in your backpack.

Hmmm I find it far more likely (if the prefs are set so that bluetooth and LAN are set to not wake the machine) that the machines haven't gone into sleep properly in the first place.

Well I hope so anyway. I sleep this powerbook all the time and just throw it in my bag, I'd hate it if the macbook I intend to replace it with wasn't similarly robust in that respect.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Generally speaking, it is first safe to pack it down when the pulsating sleeping light turns on and only then.

If I do that it will never accidentally "wake up".

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I know this thread is fairly old, but in case anyone still wants to know, you can stop your laptop from waking up when you open the lid by typing this into terminal:

OFF: sudo pmset -a lidwake 0
ON : sudo pmset -a lidwake 1

Once you have done this, you can still wake it up by pressing any key.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I agree with someone that something must've woken it up, whether it be bluetooth (which i find somewhat improbable, because you have to pair it first.), or something that you did like unplugging or plugging something after you closed the lid. I've noticed this myself when plugging/unplugging my usb hub while it's asleep...

mine at least wakes up (from the dvd-rw noise) and then goes back to sleep. it doesnt stay awake. (pulsating light returns) for some reason. It might be the software you installed that may not have allowed it to go to sleep properly.

do you have a bluetooth mouse? or keyboard? If so, you might have accidentally clicked or pressed something while putting it in your bag and what not. If it were a cellphone, i'm not sure about how it would do that.

the battery would be dead resulting from the high speed rpm fans and the heat baking it. Hope your battery isn't permanently damaged. Take it to apple too if it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.