Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Is a calculator possible like in the iphone? just wondering....

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
Since the Touch SUPPOSEDLY uses the same applications as the iPhone, I imagine people will start developing methods to throw them in the Touch.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I feel sorry for this device, I want unlimited native 3rd party apps! and its a serious issue. begging apple for a simple app from time to time is NOT the right way to go for this device.

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
I feel sorry for this device, I want unlimited native 3rd party apps! and its a serious issue. begging apple for a simple app from time to time is NOT the right way to go for this device.
I'm 99.9% sure it'll have third party applications within a week or two after it's released.

Although not from Apple, but from hackers.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I'm 99.9% sure it'll have third party applications within a week or two after it's released.

I agree, however, I think official support and toolkit would greatly encourage the developers and improve the quality and amount of available apps for end users :)

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
I agree, however, I think official support and toolkit would greatly encourage the developers and improve the quality and amount of available apps for end users :)
Indeed :).

But aren't the frameworks for building "real" or "native" iPod touch applications already there? I'm not too familiar to OS X development, but wouldn't it be possible to just link to those frameworks? Isn't that also how they make iPhone applications?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Indeed :).

But aren't the frameworks for building "real" or "native" iPod touch applications already there? I'm not too familiar to OS X development, but wouldn't it be possible to just link to those frameworks? Isn't that also how they make iPhone applications?

Im not sure, I know Apple's "framework" for iphone is "web-based app", which, IMHO, is very limited in functionality, it basically is AJAX interactions on a webpage, these apps can not take any advantages of the hardware and OS. its even more useless on iPod Touch since its not like iPhone, who is 7/24 online.

I don't know if there is an underground hackers' framework, I would very much like one tho.:D

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Im not sure, I know Apple's "framework" for iphone is "web-based app", which, IMHO, is very limited in functionality, it basically is AJAX interactions on a webpage, these apps can not take any advantages of the hardware and OS. its even more useless on iPod Touch since its not like iPhone, who is 7/24 online.

I don't know if there is an underground hackers' framework, I would very much like one tho.:D
I'm not talking about the web development kit. I'm talking about Apple's development frameworks, which can be found in "/System/Library/Frameworks/" in OS X and probably on the iPhone/iPod touch.

As far as I know you link to these whenever you write OS X applications. They provide access to things like Cocoa, OpenGL, CoreImage and so on and so forth.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I'm not talking about the web development kit. I'm talking about Apple's development frameworks, which can be found in "/System/Library/Frameworks/" in OS X and probably on the iPhone/iPod touch.

As far as I know you link to these whenever you write OS X applications. They provide access to things like Cocoa, OpenGL, CoreImage and so on and so forth.

oh, understand. I wouldn't be surprised if its already available. for hackers, after all, there is a 500MB system in there.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

And can't simple apps like a calculator and other widget style things just be done with a web based app? For those sorts of things it would be great if pages could be saved locally on the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.