Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
I'm trying to get my cam working, and I find that iChat only really works with other mac users. I tried doing a webcam with a pc friend and he would get an error saying my cam was already in use, and I'd get a similar error on my end.

Is there any software out there that supports and works decently for web-camming? I've tried iChat, Yahoo messenger, and MSN messenger to no success.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Sutekidane said:
I'm trying to get my cam working, and I find that iChat only really works with other mac users. I tried doing a webcam with a pc friend and he would get an error saying my cam was already in use, and I'd get a similar error on my end.

Is there any software out there that supports and works decently for web-camming? I've tried iChat, Yahoo messenger, and MSN messenger to no success.

I've never used it, but iSpQ claims to work between OS X and Windows.

I've heard good things about SquidCam for chatting between OS X and Windows.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
I chat with Pc friends on iChat all the time with my iSight.

They usually are on AIM version 5.9 i think....or whatever the new version it i guess.

And some of them use that Trillium thing that I guess works with msn and aim and whatever else all at once.

Sometimes it doesn't want to connect, but usually it does.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
The problem is more likely that you're BOTH behind NAT firewalls with no ports open, not the software. If you've tried the other messengers and they don't work, it's DEFINITELY some other problem. I've used both iChat and Yahoo successfully with PC users for video chat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.