Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
I am looking at buying a camera and I was thinking about this one is it good for the money? I dont know alot about cameras so any advice would be good.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Hi papadopolis,
Yes, to answer your question, the Canon S3 IS is one of the highly regarded cameras in it's class. If you're looking for some info and reviews on it, check out dpreview. They have a number of reviews that might help you make your decision easier.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Personally, I prefer Canon cameras. I like they way that they work, the menu system, and the lens are decent.

What I would recommend before making a purchase is trying out the camera to see if it suits you and how you will use it. I think this is very important. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to get a shot but to miss it or not take it the way you wanted because the interface got in your way.

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
I was reading one of the reviews on compusa.com and they said that in high contrast shots it has purple edges... should this be a problem? thanks for the advice you guys!

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
What they were describing is called chromatic aberation, and more precisely, purple fringing. Here is a wiki article that goes into it more.

The fact is that some lenses present this more than others. Given the right circumstances, even my $1200 24-70L lens will produce CA. The fact that one reviewer happened to get that PF while shooting a high-contrast image should not worry you too much.

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Thank you for your advice! If there is anymore out there I would love to hear it! Anyother cameras about the same price that might be good I would love to hear about them thanks!!!!!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It depends on what you want, I think.

The Fuji F30 and F31fd will produce the best image quality from any "point and shoot" (p&s) camera. However, it only has a 3x zoom. Also, its lens can only shoot from an equivalent of around 36 - 105 mm (when converting to 35 mm film equivalent), which means it probably can't shoot at wide angles like some of your other options. To shoot wideangle, you'd need a camera that can shoot from a minimum of around 28 mm.

Personally, the 3x zoom is fine for me, as I think I usually shoot from the widest setting anyway. I rarely ever zoom in with a "point and shoot", since I usually use it to shoot people. If I need to photograph buildings, I'd use my DSLR. However, if I had a Fuji F31fd, I'd likely feel very confident and use the Fuji when I can. :)

With the S3 IS, you get "image stabalization".

Personally, I'd go with the Fuji, unless the Canon can shoot at wider angles. I haven't looked it up, but if the S3 IS could do that, it would be quite nice. :)

Panasonic have noiser sensors, but they have a few models that can shoot at quite wide angles. They also have cameras that can shoot "wideangle" shots rather than the typical photos with 4:3 ratio. However, the photo quality is worse than Canon, and of course, Fuji.

Nikon have a new, decent "high-end" p&s that was recently released. I'd check that out too. :)

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
hey thanks all

but a friend just about talked me into getting this camera and told me to stay away from canon. when I used this camera it took good shots and I LOVED the grip on the side of it. then again he has the 7 MP on not the 6 MP but i have found the 7 MP being sold for 350$ in town... anyway how does this camera look would you recommend the 6 MP or the 7 MP well thanks for the help again!

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I used to own a Lumix FZ-20. While most everything about the camera was nice (good build, superb lens, somewhat easy manual controls), what frustrated me was the sensor noise. I seriously couldn't push the camera to anything past ISO200. Check out the reviews at dpreview to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Err Canon is one of the most respected manufactures in photography. You shouldn't notice a difference in 6MP vs 7MP unless you plan on blowing them up larger than an 8X10. Assuming you're printing at 300dpi.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Err Canon is one of the most respected manufactures in photography. You shouldn't notice a difference in 6MP vs 7MP unless you plan on blowing them up larger than an 8X10. Assuming you're printing at 300dpi.
Not even then does the difference have to be visible. With P&S, the limiting factor is clearly the optics, so an increase in resolution doesn't mean an increase in effective resolution (which is the resolution you actually get).

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
but a friend just about talked me into getting this camera and told me to stay away from canon. when I used this camera it took good shots and I LOVED the grip on the side of it. then again he has the 7 MP on not the 6 MP but i have found the 7 MP being sold for 350$ in town... anyway how does this camera look would you recommend the 6 MP or the 7 MP well thanks for the help again!

a) I'm a Nikon guy, and hate Canon's guts... but let's face it, they're one of the best camera companies in the world. Right up there with Nikon and Leica.

b) 7MP vs. 6MP? I don't think you'll ever see the difference outside of your wallet. I'm shooting a 6.1MP D70 and I've never needed more resolution. I shoot to keep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.