Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foranor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Hi folks.

I am not an iPad owner yet, so I wonder about some detail of the CCK.

I somewhere read that upon importing pictures from.. say.. my Canon DSLR 350D (I believe it's the Rebel XT for US folks), the iPad & CCK only transfer the jpg images?
What happens to the RAW images?

And if they are imported, how do I get them onto my Windows Laptop lateron? Are they automatically synced into my Photo folders set up in iTunes?

I definetively don't want to give up on the RAW pictures but photography is really one of the main reasons for me to consider the purchase of an iPad.

Thanks, would be grateful if anyone could clear up my confusion.

Last edited:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The Camera Connection Kit does support RAW. On your computer, the iPad shows up the same as a camera or flash card.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You would have to shoot RAW + JPEG. The iPad would import the JPEGs, not the RAW. It will not erase the SD card so you can then import the RAW files on your computer normally.

Personally, I find it more efficient to shoot RAW, import into Aperture (substitute for whatever editor you use if not Aperture), make a JPEG version then sync.

foranor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Yes, this is exactly the problem I have.

gr8tfly said:
The Camera Connection Kit does support RAW. On your computer, the iPad shows up the same as a camera or flash card.
^suggests I can do what I want.

Chupa Chupa said:
You would have to shoot RAW + JPEG. The iPad would import the JPEGs, not the RAW.
^This basically makes an iPad worthless to me.

I would want to import from DSLR via CCK onto iPad, delete CF-card (since pics are on iPad now) and then when I get home from 3 weeks of vacation, sync my iPad to my Windows 7 NB and find all the _RAW_ images there to edit.

Think.. picture-tank with big preview screen and minimal editing capability on the jpg part of my raw+jpg picture-taking.

If I can't clean up the CF-card in my camera (because it would lose me the RAW pictures), half the functionality that I'm really looking for is gone.

So, since replies seem to be inconclusive, can anyone clarify?

Jamie37211

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Yes, this is exactly the problem I have.

^suggests I can do what I want.

^This basically makes an iPad worthless to me.

I would want to import from DSLR via CCK onto iPad, delete CF-card (since pics are on iPad now) and then when I get home from 3 weeks of vacation, sync my iPad to my Windows 7 NB and find all the _RAW_ images there to edit.

Think.. picture-tank with big preview screen and minimal editing capability on the jpg part of my raw+jpg picture-taking.

If I can't clean up the CF-card in my camera (because it would lose me the RAW pictures), half the functionality that I'm really looking for is gone.

So, since replies seem to be inconclusive, can anyone clarify?

There appear to be numerous discussions online regarding this. It looks like you can definitely get RAW files into your iPad using the camera connection kit. Here is one such discussion from the Apple discussion boards. This is from last year, but the CCK has not changed significantly regarding upload file types, etc. Look for posts from user "teb":

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I somewhere read that upon importing pictures from.. say.. my Canon DSLR 350D (I believe it's the Rebel XT for US folks), the iPad & CCK only transfer the jpg images?
What happens to the RAW images?
You can transfer raw images in their original format to the iPad. There is even an app to develop raw images right on the iPad. I haven't tried it myself though (and have some doubts whether this makes sense given the limitations of the iPad display).
And if they are imported, how do I get them onto my Windows Laptop lateron? Are they automatically synced into my Photo folders set up in iTunes?
iTunes is not needed for that. If you connect the iPad to a computer, it will show up as a storage device like any other USB connected camera. Then you can copy the files manually or import them using Lightroom or similar.

foranor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Thank you. That considered, obviously I only have to decide whether an iPad 1 suffices or I want the 2nd gen as a new-to-be iPad owner.
Different topic altogether, tho.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.