Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Hello my iPhone 6 Plus Camera freezes, it's not the first time, but 3rd time, is this hardware or software

Anyone else with this issue

Thanks in advance

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Freezing happens to me when I have video set to 60fps. Exchanged my phone and had the same thing happen with the 2nd 6+. I think it has something to do with the iPhone having problems focusing at 60fps.

Tech support couldn't say if it was hardware or software. They suspected an issue with my backup, but the 2nd phone was set up as new.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Freezing happens to me when I have video set to 60fps. Exchanged my phone and had the same thing happen with the 2nd 6+. I think it has something to do with the iPhone having problems focusing at 60fps.

Tech support couldn't say if it was hardware or software. They suspected an issue with my backup, but the 2nd phone was set up as new.

my phone was on photo mode when it happened

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Well, please post back here if you find a fix.

I've heard other people suggest that Assistive Touch could be the culprit. My guess is that a lot of 6 plus iPhones suffer from this bug but people just aren't seeing it since 60fps is off by default.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Well, please post back here if you find a fix.

I've heard other people suggest that Assistive Touch could be the culprit. My guess is that a lot of 6 plus iPhones suffer from this bug but people just aren't seeing it since 60fps is off by default.

Well I think the camera can't handle it, and crashes instead. I might bring it in, I took a video of what happen on my iPad, man just got my new zagg replacement screen protector today, and this happened, this will be my second replacement, what device is your and carrier and Color? This is one interesting problem.

I wonder what the Apple Store will do. The camera works fine after deleting it from multitasking.

The thing that bothers me is that your taking a photo that you can never ever be duplicated. For example visiting Niagra falls for the first time, and the horses are going by, and you wanna take a picture, pull out your phone, then your camera doesn't work, then you gotta delete it from multitasking, by then the horses would've gone by. Pictures are ireplacable man

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Yeah I know how frustrating it is to miss the moment. Apple's advertising convinced me on the quality of the 6+ camera. I bought the phone right before going on a trip and can't tell you how many photos I missed due to a frozen camera.

I have the 64gb Gold 6 Plus with AT&T. I've talked with tech support multiple times and visited the Genius Bar twice. Each time they told me that they have never heard of this problem before. They did give me a replacement phone, but the problem hasn't gone away.

Now that my 1yr warranty has expired, I don't think Apple will do anything else for me.

I've just learned to live without the HD video.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I know how frustrating it is to miss the moment. Apple's advertising convinced me on the quality of the 6+ camera. I bought the phone right before going on a trip and can't tell you how many photos I missed due to a frozen camera.

I have the 64gb Gold 6 Plus with AT&T. I've talked with tech support multiple times and visited the Genius Bar twice. Each time they told me that they have never heard of this problem before. They did give me a replacement phone, but the problem hasn't gone away.

Now that my 1yr warranty has expired, I don't think Apple will do anything else for me.

I've just learned to live without the HD video.

Mine is a iPhone 6 plus 64Gb factory unlocked already replaced once, by the way you warranty can't be expired, the phone isn't even out for a year, dude your still under warranty. I'll be taking mine in one day. I missed a perfect soccer kick a while ago, they were like did you get it on tape, I'm like" NO "

Did they replace you phone in both Genius Bar appointments?

The whole reason I chose the plus over the normal 6 is because of the better stabilization.

Get back to me about this, is this just a 64GB problem? Lol, I only have 5.5GB left, could that be the problem, how much space do you have?

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Mine is a iPhone 6 plus 64Gb factory unlocked already replaced once, by the way you warranty can't be expired, the phone isn't even out for a year, dude your still under warranty. I'll be taking mine in one day. I missed a perfect soccer kick a while ago, they were like did you get it on tape, I'm like" NO "

The whole reason I chose the plus over the normal 6 is because of the better stabilization.

Get back to me about this, is this just a 64GB problem? Lol, I only have 5.5GB left, could that be the problem, how much space do you have?

Sorry, I was getting the 1yr warranty confused with the 90 day complimentary phone support.

Apple has been great throughout the entire troubleshooting process. They were very courteous and attentive over the phone. When all signs seemed to point toward a mechanical issue, they replaced my phone with a new unit. When my replacement phone suffered from the same problem, they promptly set up a second Genius appointment.

While I was at the Apple Store for my second Genius appointment, I tested 3 iPhone 6+ demo models in store to see if their cameras would also freeze. Within a span of 10 to 15 minutes I was able to recreate the freezing with 2 of the 3 display units.

After seeing the same problem happen in a total of 4 out of 5 iPhones that I have personally held in my hands, I decided that this could potentially be a wide spread bug and it was not worth the effort to continue troubleshooting and going through endless replacement phones. I decided to cut my losses and keep the phone that I had.

I currently have 37GB of free space on my phone. I don't think space was an issue in my case because I was able to make the brand new replacement phone (fresh out of the box) freeze by putting it in to 60fps mode and toggling between VIDEO and PHOTO.

I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue, but I also suspect that the camera cannot handle the 60fps setting.

I have already expressed my problem to multiple Apple representatives and sent them dozens of diagnostic stackshot files. At this point it's up to Apple to see if they can address the problem with an iFix or at some point issue a product recall/replacement. I'm not holding my breath and have learned to live with not being able to use my iPhone for HD video.

Personally I think a lot of people don't even know they can turn 60fps on in the settings. Therefore they use the camera in regular mode and never experience any freezing.

Yes, please contact Apple for yourself and see if they can help you. My troubleshooting took place back in October, so hopefully a new fix has come out since then. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know how it goes!

gewawd

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
Hello my iPhone 6 Plus Camera freezes, it's not the first time, but 3rd time, is this hardware or software

Anyone else with this issue

Thanks in advance

My Camera app becomes unresponsive, too, at times. Here are some other bugs I've encountered with the Camera app:

- Shutter sound sometimes doesn't fire on first photo capture
- Rapidly moving between camera modes then coming back to regular Photo mode may cause the viewfinder to be unresponsive
- Restarting the Camera app after an unresponsive viewfinder sometimes just shows a black screen

Reactions: 5105973

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
My Camera app becomes unresponsive, too, at times. Here are some other bugs I've encountered with the Camera app:

- Rapidly moving between camera modes then coming back to regular Photo mode may cause the viewfinder to be unresponsive
- Restarting the Camera app after an unresponsive viewfinder sometimes just shows a black screen

I think it might be a ram issue

I know right, I hate it when the shutter sound doesn't come out the first time. It makes you wonder if your vibrate is on

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I've had this happen on my 6+ (set to 60fps) but also had it happen multiple times on my 5s. Had 2 5s exchanges before I just figured it was something software related. Very annoying bug.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
I've had this happen on my 6+ (set to 60fps) but also had it happen multiple times on my 5s. Had 2 5s exchanges before I just figured it was something software related. Very annoying bug.

I don't think it's software, it more sounds like the phone can't handle it.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
It just happened again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 324

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015

Sorry, I was getting the 1yr warranty confused with the 90 day complimentary phone support.

Apple has been great throughout the entire troubleshooting process. They were very courteous and attentive over the phone. When all signs seemed to point toward a mechanical issue, they replaced my phone with a new unit. When my replacement phone suffered from the same problem, they promptly set up a second Genius appointment.

While I was at the Apple Store for my second Genius appointment, I tested 3 iPhone 6+ demo models in store to see if their cameras would also freeze. Within a span of 10 to 15 minutes I was able to recreate the freezing with 2 of the 3 display units.

After seeing the same problem happen in a total of 4 out of 5 iPhones that I have personally held in my hands, I decided that this could potentially be a wide spread bug and it was not worth the effort to continue troubleshooting and going through endless replacement phones. I decided to cut my losses and keep the phone that I had.

I currently have 37GB of free space on my phone. I don't think space was an issue in my case because I was able to make the brand new replacement phone (fresh out of the box) freeze by putting it in to 60fps mode and toggling between VIDEO and PHOTO.

I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue, but I also suspect that the camera cannot handle the 60fps setting.

I have already expressed my problem to multiple Apple representatives and sent them dozens of diagnostic stackshot files. At this point it's up to Apple to see if they can address the problem with an iFix or at some point issue a product recall/replacement. I'm not holding my breath and have learned to live with not being able to use my iPhone for HD video.

Personally I think a lot of people don't even know they can turn 60fps on in the settings. Therefore they use the camera in regular mode and never experience any freezing.

Yes, please contact Apple for yourself and see if they can help you. My troubleshooting took place back in October, so hopefully a new fix has come out since then. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know how it goes!

I think it might be a ram issue

I know right, I hate it when the shutter sound doesn't come out the first time. It makes you wonder if your vibrate is on

Have also the 6+,

I have also really strange bugs with this device.
Like for example; if you browser on landscape mode, and you browser with safari, some heavy websites lets safari crash.

This is my 5th replacement, and still have this bug. This is one many bugs it occurs. With the iPhones 6 model i don't have this problem.

So we can say that the optimization is not very stable for the iPhones 6+

Reactions: 5105973

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Have also the 6+,

I have also really strange bugs with this device.
Like for example; if you browser on landscape mode, and you browser with safari, some heavy websites lets safari crash.

This is my 5th replacement, and still have this bug. This is one many bugs it occurs. With the iPhones 6 model i don't have this problem.

So we can say that the optimization is not very stable for the iPhones 6+

Stabilization is pretty good, it pretty smooth, I was like walking on the roughest road, and a wobbly hand, and it was pretty smooth. Was the replacements due to crashing. What type of iPhone 6 plus do you have carrier and go and colour?

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
You guys aren't kidding about missing a moment. The camera is really buggy sometimes and I've definitely missed moments because the camera either froze or just crashed. Really annoying!

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Has anyone brought it to the Apple Store? I hate going to my local Apple Store since it's always fully booked. And it had for me to detrimene the time I need to go sometimes.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Like I take lots of videos for my school end of the year video. And there's this camera that freezes. Like, even the cannon school camera is better then this, besides the stabilization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.