Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyy13251

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
I am not very up to date with specs on the cameras or what means what. I have the 12 pro. Wife has the X. I want to surprise her and get the new SE. she always liked Touch ID.

How’s the camera on the new SE? Comparable or better than the camera on the X? We have a one year old and she is always taking pics and videos so having a nice camera is important!

Thanks!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In some ways, it has a better camera system than the X. For daytime and photos in well lit areas, it will be better.

Overall, the for a smartphone in 2022, you might want to look to at least iPhone 11. It has Night mode and ultrawide camera lens. The front camera system is also significantly better than SE.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
“We have a one year old and she is always taking pics and videos so having a nice camera is important!”​

I was skimming posts, so when I read that sentence, I thought “What a precocious 1-year-old!“

Makes lots more sense that it's your wife, as was clear from what you wrote!

Happy photographing! Sounds like the SE 2022 > the 10. But is it enough of a difference to matter?

This is probably heresy around here, but I wonder how a low-cost basic Canon digicam compares… would have lots more control over the camera, faster speed, better zoom, different modes, etc.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Just buy a Sony RX100 for photographs. It’s small, lightweight and for the sensor size is great as a point and shoot or if you want to have control over settings, it lets you like a DSLR.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I am not very up to date with specs on the cameras or what means what. I have the 12 pro. Wife has the X. I want to surprise her and get the new SE. she always liked Touch ID.

How’s the camera on the new SE? Comparable or better than the camera on the X? We have a one year old and she is always taking pics and videos so having a nice camera is important!

Thanks!
It will produce better photos in good lighting than the X thanks to better dynamic range and smartHDR algorithm. Low light probably a wash since none of them have night mode. Also, your wife will lose that telephoto lens though, something to consider.

Reactions: snipr125

nyy13251

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Thanks everyone!

I’m going to get it for her as a surprise. I think she will like it. If not, she has 14 days to decide!

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Put it this way, the rear lens on my SE 2020 takes noticeably better pictures than my 8 Plus (which has the same main lens as the X). Better dynamic range, exposure and colour accuracy. Now the SE 2022, takes this up a notch even further via the A15 chips computational photography algorithms with HDR4, Deep fusion and Photographic styles. So in this regard, the SE 2022 will take significantly better pictures than the X main lens.

Yes there is no telephoto lens, but any photographer will tell you that the best telephoto lens are your legs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.