Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I was going to install Tiger on my iPod and boot off that but all i get is a red exclamation mark and that OSX can't boot off this device or something.
After reading a Engadget artical about installing Tiger on a 3rd Gen 30gb iPod, i guess they have recently disabled that capability in the 4th generation iPods.
I understand fully the side effects of using the iPod and overheating it but i was only planning on using it for max an hour a time - if that.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Not sure about 4th Gen iPods but I've successfully booted Panther (10.3) off my 1st Gen iPod Mini.

You could try reformatting the iPod as a normal HD using disk utility first... Might make a difference.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
hmm i tried erasing and partitioning the iPod but it still didn't work.
another quick question - when installing Tiger on a seperate Hard drive i guess i should firstly install the original iMac discs so it has the correct firmware and Panther? And then a complete erase and install?

kewpid

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2003
Are you plugging the iPod in via Firewire or USB?

Macs can only boot off Firewire drives i think.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I am using Firewire, i think the only way to boot off an iPod is to use Carbon copy (whatever it is called) and copy over a complete OS and boot from that.
I know you can boot off an iPod and it is a 'feature' as such, just that the Tiger/Panther install won't actually allow me to install it straight onto it.

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
well remember panther has to be installed on the first 8gig or so of a drive.... so that may be the problem. According to apple it is possible but unsupported

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
earthtoandy said:
well remember panther has to be installed on the first 8gig or so of a drive.... so that may be the problem. According to apple it is possible but unsupported

That was a problem with older systems, but I think it's not an issue anymore.

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
ahhh right...still a thought.

another thought... is your panther install one that came with a system? Cause those usually wont work on anything but the type of system it came with.
[edit] I just installed panther on my 4th gen ipod and it worked no prob [/edit]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.