Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
If you two think I am a troll, you are mistaken. I have been a Macintosh user since 1994 and a member of this forum for 2 years (and a lurker for much longer.) I was simply trying to get info to dispute this graphic and you got defensive and took this the wrong way. Sorry, you failed.

As has already been mentioned it's what the chart doesn't show that is critical. Price, weight, battery life and ease of use are all factors that are in the iPad's favour. To me the weight is an especially critical point, a tablet is going to be held in the hands for extended periods of time. At 1.5 pounds the iPad is going to be OK although I'd like it to be even lighter. Anything twice the weight or more is going to have problems.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I didn't assume the OP was trolling.

The graphic fails to mention weight, dimensions, or battery life. Also fails to differentiate between solid state storage and magnetic storage. Also fails to mention price. Funny how they left off ALL of the important numbers of buying a portable device. People talk about Apple fanboys...this is just as bad.

This graphic is for the stat comparers. Those who say they would rather buy a $399 Dell laptop than an entry level MacBook Pro because it is "cheaper and faster". Those types of people line up stats and look at the bigger numbers. My computing experience depends on more than just numbers.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The better question is, "does anyone even need to dispute the info in this graphic?"

People make personal, individual choices based on their own needs and budget
Spec sheets are for those looking for an argument

When I make a purchase, I don't really give a rat's ass whether anyone else agrees with it or not

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I remember similar graphics to this with the iPhone. While they were often true in what they were saying the inevitably missed the point. They focus on what it can't do rather than what it can. Just like with the iPhone just comparing the spec is missing the point.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
How about the fact that the storage today is SSD and the storage on that thing was a regular hard drive?

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
He's not a troll. This image is currently the subject of a massive anti-Apple circle-jerk on other sites. Examples:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/bd7ao/7_years_difference/

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/bd7ar/7_years_difference/

Thank you for posting that. I was trying to dispute this graphic, but people here just don't seem to get that even after I clearly state it.

I am sick and tired of these childish posters making knee-jerk-reaction accusations. That is one reason why I so rarely come to this site. I am sick of the juvenile behavior here.

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009
It's not really about the info in the graphic, it's more about the info not in the graphic. They conveniently left out the HP's a/b/g wireless card, Windows XP Tablet (talk about fail?), battery life (~2.5 hours on the HP), weight (4 lbs), and the fact that comparing a 1 GHz Pentium with a 1 GHz....anything within the past couple years... is not really fair.

And just to pile on here. An SSD may be just a little faster, more reliable, and more energy efficient than an 80GB platter from 2003. And pen input LOL, yeah that worked out well. Why doesn't the iPad have a stylus? A capacitive touchscreen vs stylus....hmmm tough choice. The iPad does include a headphone jack (chart lies). Apple can actually deliver things with value via iTunes, App Store, iBooks, agreements with content providers, native applications optimized for a touch interface, etc. Whereas HP offered a "blank slate" (pun intended) with the hope that "if we build it they will come". Hope has never been the best strategy.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
This just doesn't make sense.

We also don't say stuff like:

Humans
Year: since ancient history
CPU: 10 Mhz
HDD: none
Screen: none
Size: up to 2 metres in length
Sound: annoying
USB: in the ass
Camera: none
SD card slot: none
PC card: none
RJ45, RJ11: none
Video output: none
Headphone plug: none

And believe it or not, even with those specs humans are "the world's best product ever" with "over 6 billion humans in use today!"

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
The people who are comparing hardware features don't really see bigger picture of the iPad.

It's the same way an Apple Computer is different from a PC. In many respects, a Macbook Pro looks similar to a PC, keyboard, mousepad, screen, etc. But yet they are so different.

The iPad is a canvas and it will allow so many things to be done on a big multitouch screen that have not been available to the public.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
Wow awesome graphic! It totally convinces me of something. I'll let you know what after I consult the blogs where I get all my opinions from.

Wait ... I remember something. NO FLASH + NO CAMERA = NO IPAD. Is that the answer?

Got to get back to Glenn Beck now.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
The people who are comparing hardware features don't really see bigger picture of the iPad.

It's the same way an Apple Computer is different from a PC. In many respects, a Macbook Pro looks similar to a PC, keyboard, mousepad, screen, etc. But yet they are so different.

The iPad is a canvas and it will allow so many things to be done on a big multitouch screen that have not been available to the public.

That was a very good post.

Tablets have always been faced with usability issues and never gained public acceptance. It's the OS implementation and the user experience that makes or breaks a device. Go back several years and imagine that a phone that had this swiping, pinching, shaking interface would ever have been popular when tiny buttons or directional arrows ruled the roost.

There will undoubtedly be a new wave of applications designed for this large format. Everyone is trying to put the iPad into the Touch/iPhone box. With much larger screen real estate there are many different directions things can go.

When I saw the graphic it hit me that I never paid attention that the iPad has no headphone jack. I ordered a 3G iPad and I never realized that. That seems like a bit of a no-brainer.

sparkstsa

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010

Tablets have always been faced with usability issues and never gained public acceptance. It's the OS implementation and the user experience that makes or breaks a device. Go back several years and imagine that a phone that had this swiping, pinching, shaking interface would ever have been popular when tiny buttons or directional arrows ruled the roost.

There will undoubtedly be a new wave of applications designed for this large format. Everyone is trying to put the iPad into the Touch/iPhone box. With much larger screen real estate there are many different directions things can go.

When I saw the graphic it hit me that I never paid attention that the iPad has no headphone jack. I ordered a 3G iPad and I never realized that. That seems like a bit of a no-brainer.

But it does have a headphone jack. It just doesn't come with headphones.

Input and output

Dock connector port
3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
Built-in speaker
Microphone
Micro SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

Taken from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
But it does have a headphone jack. It just doesn't come with headphones.

Input and output

Dock connector port
3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
Built-in speaker
Microphone
Micro SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

Taken from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

I just went and looked at the specs again and discovered that. So, this comparison graphic is wrong. Thanks for jumping in. I was just on my way back here to edit my comment.

Tomomcd

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
The graphic also decides to list camera even though neither has one

Way to try and get in with the Ipad has no camera crowd that one :rolleyes:

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010

Exactly. The iPad is not so much about hardware (although it is good hardware), but its more about software. With something like an iPhone, everyone wants/needs a Phone. Not everyone "gets" the iPad yet because they are just looking at tech specs and saying "omg, no USB!". What they are failing to see is what that screen real estate really does for a "big ipod touch" Based on what I've seen on my iPhone, the apps that will be optimized for iPad are going to be amazing.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
You know, I had posted previously on this forum about the TC-1000.
I have one, and it's much MORE of a computer that the iPad can come close to being. The only thing is, it is kinda slow, but then again, if it were only running a glorified version of the iPhone OS, it would probably be pretty fast.
Oh, well, the fan boys will flock to anything Apple comes out with. I wonder if that's because of performance, or just because everyone is starved for new toys. I may even buy one myself.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
How many of you go to a store and buy one product over another because of the spec checklist?
I know I don't.

Tomomcd

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
All these tablet comparisons have made me come up with an odd comparison to the latest trend of releasing 3d films

So you have the ipad = Avatar - Built and designed with touch/3d in mind from the ground up

All other tablets - Huge number of films with 3d slapped ontop to move with the latest trends

These tablets are essentially a computer with a touch screen slapped ontop, until microsoft releases a more touch friendly version of windows this is what they are stuck with

Android may be slightly better, but we will see how that one plays out in the long term

The ipad may not be fully featured but it is at least highly functional and very easy to use for most users. Apple could have tried to cram everything in there but what has been demo'ed so far as been shown to work very well. And I'm sure there are greater things to come with specifically designed apps and iphone 4.0

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
They aren't even comparable in the slight....
The HP would be heavier, thicker, running a slow OS, on an OLD 1.2GHz processor.
Thats like comparing an Intel Celeron 1.3GHz to a Core i7 3.33GHz!

It doesn't matter if its processor has a higher clock frequency, it's so old it'd be like a 300MHz processor in a phone or something...

You want to pay $2500 for a 64GB SSD small enough to fit in a tablet? - thats what it probably would have cost. Those hard drives would be slow, like 3800RPM and incredibly low capacity for a drive too.

9.7" LED-backlit multi-touch IPS display, vs 10.4" TN panel or something???
Sound quality would be significantly better in the iPad...

It does have a headphone plug, and it has accessories for USB/SD cards.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Seriously, I've always been intrigued by the tablet form factor, and I owned a Tablet PC from the 2003 generation (the Toshiba). I think they were an important evolutionary step, but the technology just wasn't there yet, and what you ended up with was an underpowered Windows notebook with a stylus. And companies didn't exactly rush out to make entertainment and productivity apps that would play nice with the form-factor, whereas the ipad already has the whole app store. Finally, I think my Toshiba weighed about 3 times as much as the iPad. This was really not something you could easily carry around in one hand, or use as a quick music/video/web appliance.

I think I gave it to my parents when it began to really struggle to load newer Windows apps and websites under Firefox.

Edit: Oh, and somehow I completely forgot the part where I paid $2200 for it.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
1. Everyone knows 1st gen Apple products are the most watered down

2. You and this graph fail: iPhone OS > any mobile OS. I bet you that thing run a ****** version of Windows or something.

3. As evidenced by iPhone 3GS, iDevices don't need excessive processing speed or RAM to run fast. In fact, the iPad is almost TWICE as fast the 3GS, and it can only go higher, especially if multitasking comes into play in 4.0. Oh and Apple A4 > 1 GHz Pentium

4. iPad = flash HD. This POS...SATA?

5. iPad's display > this display

iPad FTW!

I think you FAIL! in recognizing that this was 7 years ago, and speaking relatively in ideas/creative concepts only, the ipad falls behind, oh yes and I am still getting my 64GB 3G+WiFi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.