Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lost-Entrepreneur439

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
I have a MacBook4,1, I'm currently running OS X 10.8.5 on it with MLPostFactor, and it works fine, but if possible I would like something a bit newer, even if I can only go up to Mavericks. Can anything later than Mountain Lion be ran on GMA?

I have a MacBook4,1, I'm currently running OS X 10.8.5 on it with MLPostFactor, and it works fine, but if possible I would like something a bit newer, even if I can only go up to Mavericks. Can anything later than Mountain Lion be ran on GMA?

Well, I tried Sierra once on a GMA X3100 early 2008 Macbook4,1. It will boot and present the login screen, but the screen (namely, movement on the screen, after logging in) is basically unusable.

Lost-Entrepreneur439

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Well, I tried Sierra once on a GMA X3100 early 2008 Macbook4,1. It will boot and present the login screen, but the screen (namely, movement on the screen, after logging in) is basically unusable.
so basically, no acceleration? i was looking for with acceleration, since without acceleration, Mountain Lion will be infinitely better.

so basically, no acceleration? i was looking for with acceleration, since without acceleration, Mountain Lion will be infinitely better.

No acceleration, no nothing. The WindowServer, in effect, was one-step removed from being frozen.

I mean, if you only planned to use a terminal window in single-user mode, then yes, you can boot into Sierra on an GMA 3100X Mac. But I don’t think that will give you the Mac OS X experience you’re looking for.

You can always do something radical to work around this problem. :)

Lost-Entrepreneur439

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
yeah, i'm looking to at least be able to get into Firefox (or Chromium Legacy for El Capitan and earlier) and do basic web browsing

as i mentioned in a previous message -- my 4,1 is my travel/school system so an external GPU isn't a viable solution for me.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
yeah, i'm looking to at least be able to get into Firefox (or Chromium Legacy for El Capitan and earlier) and do basic web browsing
Here’s a list of browsers for earlier versions of macOS. You can also virtualise Linux or Windows and get more recent browsers that way.

You can always do something radical to work around this problem.
I've already linked to that :)

Yes. But... while Mavericks' GUI is sluggish and glitchy without acceleration, it might be usable enough for a browser unless the lack of acceleration also causes that to, uh, barf. It gets worse the more recent you go though, with Yosemite's unaccelerated GUI making me want to throw the system out of the window.

Last edited:

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
If all you need is access to something which makes the modern web (for the most part) usable, then Chromium Legacy is the way to go. Beyond that, Pale Moon alongside BrassMonley or SeaLion should have you covered.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
If all you need is access to something which makes the modern web (for the most part) usable, then Chromium Legacy is the way to go. Beyond that, Pale Moon alongside BrassMonley or SeaLion should have you covered.

There's also Nightly55 that @Jazzzny very kindly shared with us earlier this week. It even provides YouTube functionality. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.