Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
My 500 MHz iBook is about to give up the ghost (well, the CD drive is getting flakey) and is a bit slow so I'm thinking about a new one. Of course I want to wait for Apple to release a new version so that I can get the most G4 for my dough, but it doesn't seem like Apple really can release a new iBook now. Any speed bump gets you way too close to Powerbook speeds, so it'd seem the Powerbooks need to get a bump first/at the same time. And I haven't seen any rumors about anything resembling new PB or iBooks until 2005 (dual core rumors).

Any guesses on when something new will happen? What will come first, PB or iBook? How long does my nearly CD-less iBook have to last?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
iBook updates should be happening soon

There has been rumors of these dual core chips being used but I guess we will have to wait and see

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Darwin said:
iBook updates should be happening soon

There has been rumors of these dual core chips being used but I guess we will have to wait and see
The dual core chip will most likely be for the Powerbooks first. The iBook will probably just get a moderate speed boost.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
any idea on how hight the processor will be on the upgrade for the ibook? I was looking at getting one kinda soon?

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
I am guessing ibook 12" low end 1.2 (or 1.33) ghz with superdrive option.

and 14" ibooks 1.2 (or 1.33) and 1.5 ghz with 64 meg vram.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't think the next iBook upgrade will give any of the models any more than a 1.33Ghz processor and an Nvidia 5200 with 32MB. Otherwise, the iBook would completely have it's foot in PB territory, while currently it's only partly overlapping the PBs.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Dr. Dastardly said:
The dual core chip will most likely be for the Powerbooks first. The iBook will probably just get a moderate speed boost.

Even then, dual cores aren't coming out of the Motorola spin-off until mid 2005 at the earliest. Certainly expect a PB boost before then -- but would've expected a pre-dual core route rumor somewhere. A 1.8 GHz or something would be real nice to at least hear about now, so that, as another has pointed out, there's enough room between PB and iB that iB's can afford to have a speed bump.

That was my original fear -- if we're waiting until late 2005 for PB bumps, there really can't be an iB bump.

hushreality

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2004
I need a new ibook but I'm going to wait it out. Funny story, I went into the store to buy an ipod (I knew the 4th gen with click-wheel were coming out but there was no exact date - for Canada), the guy told me "oh, we won't be seeing those anytime soon. Probably not until November", so I bought the 3'rd gen model... sure enough, a week later 4th gen arrives in Canada. So you can bite me, Apple - your due for a release, I'll wait.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Abstract said:
I don't think the next iBook upgrade will give any of the models any more than a 1.33Ghz processor and an Nvidia 5200 with 32MB. Otherwise, the iBook would completely have it's foot in PB territory, while currently it's only partly overlapping the PBs.

I am more hopeful that they wont hold it back. Offering a 1.5 for the 14" (if it can handle the heat) would not really effect PB sales I think because PB have so many other things iBooks dont. Similarly a 64MB Vram option seems reasonable given the future of Tiger...

I still think iPod mini like shells would be popular on iBooks...

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
hushreality said:
I need a new ibook but I'm going to wait it out. Funny story, I went into the store to buy an ipod (I knew the 4th gen with click-wheel were coming out but there was no exact date - for Canada), the guy told me "oh, we won't be seeing those anytime soon. Probably not until November", so I bought the 3'rd gen model... sure enough, a week later 4th gen arrives in Canada. So you can bite me, Apple - your due for a release, I'll wait.

I can tell you do not understand apple policies at all, any employee for any apple ceritfied store can be fired for prematurely releasing information on future products or release dates....etc unless apple has done so already.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
NusuniAdmin said:
I can tell you do not understand apple policies at all, any employee for any apple ceritfied store can be fired for prematurely releasing information on future products or release dates....etc unless apple has done so already.
i really hope apple does something for the ibooks graphics ever played tony hawk on the ibook g4 1.2 with 32mb?? yea not very good choppy backrounds and overall unclean graphics speed in the game wasnt bad everything went quick but the graphics werent good maybe should just stick to the ps2 for tony hawk ::drooling:: looks so good... maybe the ibook with at least 64 would do tony hawks pro ska8er some justice...oh yea that was at 1024/768 res as well....just my 2 cents

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Ya tony hawk does suck on ibooks currently.

And a note to the guy above: What does you messege have to do with that quote of mine? lol

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
maybe tony hawk is just a really graphic demanding game i wonder if it would play better with mor ememory though the ibbok i played it on had 256

hushreality

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2004
NusuniAdmin said:

I just felt a little ripped off, he told me "at least November", and either he's not qualified/knowing enough to give out information in the first place, or he simply wanted his quick commission. I don't blame Apple or the store, I just know better now - trust instincts and hopefully macrumors.com hah :)

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
listen

Abstract said:
unless they make the powebook amazing fast. like 17" at like 1.9 and 12 at 1.7 DC g4

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
hushreality said:
I bought the 3'rd gen model... sure enough, a week later 4th gen arrives in Canada.
You know if you buy a model that gets upgraded within 10 days, you can go to Apple and they will refund you the difference?

hushreality

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2004
solvs said:
You know if you buy a model that gets upgraded within 10 days, you can go to Apple and they will refund you the difference?

Is that all Apple resellers or just based on web orders?
I could I could have always *returned* it (30 day warranty) but at that point, I dumped all the albums on and didn't care. 3'rd gen ipod is still better than no generation ipod

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
themacman said:
unless they make the powebook amazing fast. like 17" at like 1.9 and 12 at 1.7 DC g4

Not going to happen anytime soon, unless it is with a new chip. And, there is no word of a new chip happening anytime soon.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
hushreality said:
I could I could have always *returned* it (30 day warranty) but at that point, I dumped all the albums on and didn't care. 3'rd gen ipod is still better than no generation ipod

actually when i ordered my ibook it came with only a 14 day return policy.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
hushreality said:
Call Apple. Not sure of the exact terms of the policy. Just know that if a new model is introduced within 10 days of when you bought something, they'll refund the difference.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
The iBooks are now way overdue for an update - they're obviously going to update Powerbooks first, which is whats causing the delay in my opinion.

philipp_ger

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2004
Both Powerbooks and Ibooks will be updated on November 2nd.
In the german Apple Edu-Store you get 200€ (250USD) back when you buy a Powerbook or Ibook bundled with an Ipod.

This offer is limited until 11/2.
And this is a Tuesday and on Tuesdays there are Apple-Updates...

I'll wait another week but then I'll buy because I plan to buy a new one and the 200€ rebate is really nice...
Maybe I am wrong and the iBooks will be updated...

Let's keep our fingers crossed...

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
philipp_ger said:
Both Powerbooks and Ibooks will be updated on November 2nd.
In the german Apple Edu-Store you get 200€ (250USD) back when you buy a Powerbook or Ibook bundled with an Ipod.

This offer is limited until 11/2.
And this is a Tuesday and on Tuesdays there are Apple-Updates...

I'll wait another week but then I'll buy because I plan to buy a new one and the 200€ rebate is really nice...
Maybe I am wrong and the iBooks will be updated...

Let's keep our fingers crossed...

why does everyone seem to think apple only releases thingso n tuesdays, there are also releases on monday and thursday and friday...etc. (not on weekends)

philipp_ger

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2004
ok, then they are updating on other days too, my fault.
But the rebate program and the fact that the Notebooks are overdue for a speed bump are not a coincidence i think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.