Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
The Apple TV control center app in iOS/iPadOS has buttons to skip forward or go backward 10 seconds, which I use all the time when watching YouTube. When clicking the direction wheel on the new Apple TV remote, it doesn't do that. Curious if there is a way to achieve this.

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I doubt there is a way to program the apple remote itself to do so since it isn't configurable. You can setup any IR remote under The 'Learn' feature and the skip back and skip forward buttons under transport keys will do the 10 sec skip on the youtube app.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I don’t think so. The Left and Right buttons do work like that in some apps, but that is because the app developers added the function to the code. So it does work to advance and backup in some apps, but not in others. I doubt Apple could/would force that feature though.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If I'm understanding you correctly, tapping the AppleTV remote (either Siri remote) right or left will cause the video to jump 10 seconds forward or backward....

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 7.29.14 AM.png

Admittedly this can be a tad bit flakey in youtube as a video just starts.

Reactions: brucewayne

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
If I'm understanding you correctly, tapping the AppleTV remote (either Siri remote) right or left will cause the video to jump 10 seconds forward or backward....

View attachment 1859106

Admittedly this can be a tad bit flakey in youtube as a video just starts.
I've noticed this is working on mine now to skip -/+ 10 seconds - but i have to hit play/pause afterwards to resume playing

elPelonConLentes

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2022
There is a way to do this! Its so weird to do it but i discover by mistake haha and the only place where the right and left buttons doesnt work to forward 10 seconds is on YouTube,

The tricks is this:

Press the center button and quickly swipe to the right or the left both things like in a same movment, to forward or rewind,

probably u cant do at the first time but it really works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.