Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Can I stream the videos and music I keep on my Apple TV back to my Mac? With the price drop, I'm seriously considering buying the 160 GB, but this was a major linchpin for me. It would save me a lot of space on my iMac.

Thanks!

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Can I stream the videos and music I keep on my Apple TV back to my Mac? With the price drop, I'm seriously considering buying the 160 GB, but this was a major linchpin for me. It would save me a lot of space on my iMac.

Thanks!

No, the Apple TV is not a server.

Kevin

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007

Thanks!

I think what you're looking for is NAS, a Mac Mini or an Xserve... depending on the scale of your storage and streaming requirements.

thegeist

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
But if you can send the AppleTv video to your ipod, couldn't you then off load it to your pc?

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
But if you can send the AppleTv video to your ipod, couldn't you then off load it to your pc?

Anything you rent from ATV cannot be put on another device or computer.

Anything you rent from iTunes can be moved between devices (including ATV)

Kevin

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007

There are three ways to get content on the AppleTV...

1. Purchase or rent it on your computer and stream it to AppleTV. Here the content is already on your computer.

2. Purchase it on AppleTV. You cannot stream it to your computer, but you own the file... it will synch back to whatever computer, iPod, iPhone, etc. you want it to be on. From here you can copy it via iTunes to as many iPods as you own, and up to five computers on your network.

3. Rent it on AppleTV. I'm not sure about SD but here the only option is direct to AppleTV, with no copying to other devices. This limitation may be to prevent unauthorized duplication of high resolution files... deal with it.

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
There are three ways to get content on the AppleTV...

3. Rent it on AppleTV. I'm not sure about SD but here the only option is direct to AppleTV, with no copying to other devices. This limitation may be to prevent unauthorized duplication of high resolution files... deal with it.

This applies to SD as well as HD.

Kevin

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
2. Purchase it on AppleTV. You cannot stream it to your computer, but you own the file... it will synch back to whatever computer, iPod, iPhone, etc. you want it to be on. From here you can copy it via iTunes to as many iPods as you own, and up to five computers on your network.
Sounds very similar to what happens when you purchase something from the iTunes Stores on your iPhone (via the iTunes WiFi store). :)

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
No, the Apple TV is not a server.

Kevin

I think what you're looking for is NAS, a Mac Mini or an Xserve... depending on the scale of your storage and streaming requirements.

Ahhh...that's unfortunate. I really wanted to convert my DVDs and keep them on the Apple TV (which would be in my living room), but have the ability to stream them back to my iMac (which is in my bedroom). Oh well...

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Ahhh...that's unfortunate. I really wanted to convert my DVDs and keep them on the Apple TV (which would be in my living room), but have the ability to stream them back to my iMac (which is in my bedroom). Oh well...

You have it backwards...

:D

Kevin

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Kevin, you seem to have a good handle on the :apple:TV take 2. I guess you're at MacWorld right? :)

Could you please enlighten this forum as to an aspect of the new:apple:TV that is causing confusion?

Let's say we have a MacBook with limited HDD space. Is it not possible to send movies from your MacBook to reside on the :apple:TV and not sync back to the MacBook's HDD?

Personally, I don't need movies on my notebook but I would like to rip DVDs and put them exclusively on the :apple:TV and remove them from my iTunes library.

Is this possible?

Being able to stream back the movies to a computer would be nice, but not an expectation.

A second related question I have is regarding podcasts. I didn't see an option to subscribe to podcasts on the :apple:TV. It seems as though you can stream a podcast from a source but you won't be notified of new podcasts. Is this what the new "Favorites" menu is for?

I'd rather leave the podcasts to the :apple:TV and remove that option from my iTunes as it is one of the hungriest features on iTunes in regards to HDD space.

Thanks in advance for your clarification! :)

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Kevin, you seem to have a good handle on the :apple:TV take 2. I guess you're at MacWorld right? :)
I was for the keynote, but I'm back at work now :(

Could you please enlighten this forum as to an aspect of the new:apple:TV that is causing confusion?

Let's say we have a MacBook with limited HDD space. Is it not possible to send movies from your MacBook to reside on the :apple:TV and not sync back to the MacBook's HDD?

Personally, I don't need movies on my notebook but I would like to rip DVDs and put them exclusively on the :apple:TV and remove them from my iTunes library.

Is this possible?

This is possible but only if you never put iTunes and the ATV back on the same network. If you delete them from iTunes and it tries to sync with ATV, it will delete those items it no longer has in its library (i.e. keeping them in sync).

A second related question I have is regarding podcasts. I didn't see an option to subscribe to podcasts on the :apple:TV. It seems as though you can stream a podcast from a source but you won't be notified of new podcasts. Is this what the new "Favorites" menu is for?

Correct. There is no subscription for podcasts on the ATV in this release. You can either download them (and they'll show up in "My Podcasts" and if you are paired with iTunes they will sync back) or you can just play them straight from the server.

The favorites lets you keep a collection of those podcasts easily accessible.

Thanks in advance for your clarification! :)

Hope that helps!

Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.