Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pi6xjdskfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Hi,
I am an ATT customer in USA who purchased an iPhone 14 Pro Max outright in 2022. I am gifting the phone to a relative in New Zealand as I have upgraded to 15. I think the phone is unlocked since I paid in full for it. Will ATT iPhone 14 Pro Max work in New Zealand with e-sim? I remember in the old days there was issues with CDMA vs. GSM and certain phones could not work in certain regions. Will this be an issue abroad?

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
The phone should work fine...

According to GSM arena, the USA model (of the iphone 14 pro) has essentially all the 4G and 5G bands used by the international model...so there shouldn't be an issue.

The bigger pain for the kiwi user will be to find a mobile carrier which offers esim...
The larger providers (Spark, One NZ) are fine...it's the smaller MVNO's (which offer better value for money mobile phone plans compared to the larger providers) where it varies...

Reactions: pi6xjdskfa

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Hi,
I am an ATT customer in USA who purchased an iPhone 14 Pro Max outright in 2022. I am gifting the phone to a relative in New Zealand as I have upgraded to 15. I think the phone is unlocked since I paid in full for it. Will ATT iPhone 14 Pro Max work in New Zealand with e-sim? I remember in the old days there was issues with CDMA vs. GSM and certain phones could not work in certain regions. Will this be an issue abroad?
Make sure it really is unlocked. IIRC, AT&T requires you to request an unlock, they don't do it automatically. To check, go to "Settings > General > About" and scroll down to "Carrier Lock" It should say "No SIM restrictions". If not, you'll need to go to the AT&T Unlock site. Since you've had the phone over 60 days (presumably) and the phone is fully paid it should be able to be unlocked pretty quickly via that site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.