Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
my wife has an emac 1.25 ghz. she would like to disconnect its internal display all together and keep the emac under her desk with the screen pointed at the wall. she thinks its ugly but bought it because its cheap. its a fast enough system but has a crappy shadow mask screen thats only 17" and she has a nice sony 21" trinitron for cad work. I know some of you will think she should use the dual hack but she wants all the vram on the 21" and doesn't even want to see the 17" at all. she has an external dvd-r so she won't need to get at its optical drive :) the back of the emac looks cooler than the front.

would the mirroring port then work as a normal monitor connector? I would assume that since the internal would not even be on that the external screen would not be limited to 1280x960 as with normal mirroring.

I think she has a great idea here and I hope it can be done.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
you can disconnect the display but it will be a bitch to do. those emacs are hard to crack open and i dont reccomend it. you can use the mirroring just fine with the emac. good luck with everything, it seems your going to have some fun hiding that beast of a machine.

iJon

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I did this with my old iMac. I don't know if the eMac would be the same though. When I opened the case, there were two little rotary knobs next the CRT. One knob controlled focus, the other brightness. I just turned the brightness knob all the way down. The CRT is still powered, but nothing shows on the screen. As iJon said, it's probably a pain in the butt to open an eMac, but it might be worth a shot.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
at school, I used an emac 1ghz, connected to an external 20in Studio Display monitor. no matter what I did, i couldnt get the emac's screen to shut off. (I did everything except open it up... it was school property after all, I'll only hack it, not open it :p ).

anyway, what I ended up doing was turning the brightness and contrast down all the way, now that didnt turn the display off, it just dimmed it. it was the best I could do.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
JeDiBoYTJ said:
at school, I used an emac 1ghz, connected to an external 20in Studio Display monitor. no matter what I did, i couldnt get the emac's screen to shut off. (I did everything except open it up... it was school property after all, I'll only hack it, not open it :p ).

anyway, what I ended up doing was turning the brightness and contrast down all the way, now that didnt turn the display off, it just dimmed it. it was the best I could do.

were you able to go above 1280x960 on the external 20"? normally with mirroring you can only go as high as the screen you're mirroring off.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
I also have the same question on a new eMac. Have a Samsung 17" LCD nice display and no desire to use/span the CRT. Any software way to disable the CRT?

Also, the mirror display on my Samsung seems to be limited by the CRT display. I have both maxxed out: CRT 1280x960 @ 72 Hz and the LCD at 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz but the LCD doesn't expand to fill the uppermost top and bottoms. Auto calibrate via the LCD won't fix this. I believe this is a limitation of the CRT display (video card doesn't have enough ummph).

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
MoparShaha said:
I did this with my old iMac. I don't know if the eMac would be the same though. When I opened the case, there were two little rotary knobs next the CRT. One knob controlled focus, the other brightness. I just turned the brightness knob all the way down. The CRT is still powered, but nothing shows on the screen. As iJon said, it's probably a pain in the butt to open an eMac, but it might be worth a shot.

Why didn't you simply disconnect the CRT VGA cable inside that old iMac. It would have been pretty easy. You can probably do the same with the eMac, though i've never seen the internals of it, so I don't know for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.