Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Can I daisy chain a Samsung S80A monitor to another monitor using a DisplayPort cable, then connect the S80A to my M1 Pro Mac?

I see a ton of stuff about the M1/2/3 not supporting more than 1 external display and I know that. I also see stuff about how macOS doesn't support DisplayPort natively or something, but I am not really understanding. I'm trying to get a simple answer to my question:

I have a Samsung S80A monitor. To my understanding, it does not have Thunderbolt, but does have USB C power delivery, 2 HDMI ports, and 1 DisplayPort port. If I get a second monitor, plug the S80A into the second monitor using a DisplayPort cable, then plug the USB C cable (connected to the S80A) into my M1 Pro Mac, will all 3 screens work?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Do you know if I connected both monitors to a Mac-compatible docking station via DisplayPort, and then connected the dock to the Mac via USB C, would it display on both monitors? I don't know why it wouldn't but unsure if I'm not thinking of something.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Do you know if I connected both monitors to a Mac-compatible docking station via DisplayPort, and then connected the dock to the Mac via USB C, would it display on both monitors?
You would need a Thunderbolt 3/4 docking station / hub to connect more than one display via a single TB port on your MBP. Alternatively, you can use the HDMI port and one of the TB/USB port via USB-C on your MBP to connect two displays.

Reactions: izzy0242mr

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
see
You would need a Thunderbolt 3/4 docking station / hub to connect more than one display via a single TB port on your MBP. Alternatively, you can use the HDMI port and one of the TB/USB port via USB-C on your MBP to connect two displays.
And not a Mac question, but if I connected the same S80A monitor to the second monitor using DisplayPort, and then connect the S80A to a normal Intel Windows PC, is there any reason that setup wouldn't work?

I dual use both Mac and Windows and if I have to plug the monitors into my Mac using two cables, it's not ideal but it's not the end of the world. If I can use just one cable with the Windows setup that would be convenient though. Everything I've read makes it sound like the DisplayPort daisychainining is only an issue with Macs but I'm not totally sure.

I think a dock would be the one cable solution for both Mac and Windows but until I find a good cheap dock I'm fine with what I described above.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Displays that can have a second display connected to them:
- Thunderbolt displays that have a downstream Thunderbolt port.
- DisplayPort displays that support MST and have a DisplayPort Output port.

A Thunderbolt Display is basically a Thunderbolt dock with a display connected to it. Not all Thunderbolt displays have a port to connect a second display. Instead of an expensive Thunderbolt Display or dock, you could use a less expensive Thunderbolt to dual DisplayPort adapter.

Multiple displays connected using MST is not supported by macOS - both displays will show the same image. You need to use Linux or Windows instead.

Reactions: Bigwaff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.