Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Just a thought......maybe it would be better if you mounted the camera on your handlebars instead of on your helmet? So much bobbing around......

For the parts of the video that was steady, it looks cool.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Just a thought......maybe it would be better if you mounted the camera on your handlebars instead of on your helmet? So much bobbing around......

For the parts of the video that was steady, it looks cool.

I tried that with my iPhone a while back. WAY too much vibration from the road!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Has anyone got any advice on which would be a good bike for a beginner? And computer too? Thanks.

For a beginner, I'd recommend an aggressive hybrid. Maybe a trek 7.5fx? There's a cheap wired bike computer on amazon for $10, which is what I used. I'd recommend that one. I'm stopped for lunch on today's bike ride, so I'll get you links when I get home.

I was going over an icy patch and to my horror, I just felt my bike slide out from under me. I fell. You'll see on the video later.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
For a beginner, I'd recommend an aggressive hybrid. Maybe a trek 7.5fx? There's a cheap wired bike computer on amazon for $10, which is what I used. I'd recommend that one. I'm stopped for lunch on today's bike ride, so I'll get you links when I get home.

You're recommending a $800-1000 bike as a beginner bike? The 7.2fx or 7.3fx would be perfectly fine for a beginner and could cost $200-400 less than the 7.5fx. I bought a varely used 7.3fx for $300, and it was more than enough bike for a beginner. But, of course, it was stolen. Right out of my garage. They pulled/unbolted the bike rack right out of the cement floor and took it along with the bike :rolleyes:. I then purchased a Gary Fisher Monona (almost the same as the 7.3fx), and I love it.

I was going over an icy patch and to my horror, I just felt my bike slide out from under me. I fell. You'll see on the video later.

Hope you're okay.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
Thanks very much for the suggestions, Ive taken a look at the Specialized Allez and that seems to be in the same price range as those Trek's. I will do more research though. I have a bike somewhere in the shed and Im dying to get out there and go for a ride, so cant wait for tomorrow.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
You're recommending a $800-1000 bike as a beginner bike? The 7.2fx or 7.3fx would be perfectly fine for a beginner and could cost $200-400 less than the 7.5fx. I bought a varely used 7.3fx for $300, and it was more than enough bike for a beginner. But, of course, it was stolen. Right out of my garage. They pulled/unbolted the bike rack right out of the cement floor and took it along with the bike :rolleyes:. I then purchased a Gary Fisher Monona (almost the same as the 7.3fx), and I love it.

Hope you're okay.

Ouch that sucks. As for the price of the 7.xFX lineup, I didn't know of the price difference between the lower-end 7.3fx and the 7.5fx. I do know that my friend who has a 7.5fx loves it. I'm editing the video right now.

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
What other options for bike HD camera are out there?

I've been wanting to do so , but couldn't find a nice decent priced unit.

William.Mantle

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Im not surprised you fell.

Your power to weight ratio is off based on the movements displayed and you attacked the ice incorrectly.

You're lucky there was no one else around who could have fallen over you.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Im not surprised you fell.

Your power to weight ratio is off based on the movements displayed and you attacked the ice incorrectly.

You're lucky there was no one else around who could have fallen over you.

My power to weight ratio is fine. I just slowed down to go over the ice. I thought if I went slowly and kept my handlebars straight, I could make it through, but the ice won this round. This is my strategy that normally works for ice, but I guess there were grooves in the ice that caught my tire and I was not going in the exact direction of the grooves. I have previously fallen in the same place about a year ago. Unlucky for me, I was riding with two friends. The first one slowed down, so I hit on my brakes and slid on the ice (it looked like water) and fell. My other friend was behind me and fell on me. That was not a fun day.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Finally got around to editing the video from yesterday. Some asshat decided to pass me with very little room. The law here is to pass with 3ft between the vehicle and the cyclist.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Finally got around to editing the video from yesterday. Some asshat decided to pass me with very little room. The law here is to pass with 3ft between the vehicle and the cyclist.

YouTube: video

still you're taking up the car lane and you're slow.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
still you're taking up the car lane and you're slow.

The law is to pass cyclists with three feet between the cyclist and the motorist. I was following the law. I did nothing wrong. I was in the car lane because it is illegal to be on the sidewalk and there was sand in the shoulder.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
There was a Jeep in the middle of the Cherry Creek today. The Jeep came from Speer Street and fell about 15ft into the creek. I feel bad for the driver.. But the Jeep wasn't terribly damaged.. And it didn't flip!

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
The law is to pass cyclists with three feet between the cyclist and the motorist. I was following the law. I did nothing wrong. I was in the car lane because it is illegal to be on the sidewalk and there was sand in the shoulder.

From a fellow rider... get out of any car lane if possible.. Even if I were in my car I would drive in MY lane. There is no such thing as a cycle lane anymore, mine as well be titled 'be on high alert 2 wheelers'

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
There was a Jeep in the middle of the Cherry Creek today. The Jeep came from Speer Street and fell about 15ft into the creek. I feel bad for the driver.. But the Jeep wasn't terribly damaged.. And it didn't flip!

Just a word of advice, AlphaDogg: if you're gonna stop and watch like that, get off the bike path, so that other people can continue to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.