Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slimdude22

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Don't listen to these guys who say this is for professionals only. Buy one for ALL your needs, you'll be happy you did.

here here! it works for us nerds all around :p (assuming I'm not the only machead in the room :))

It really will do whatever you want, yea you may have to put in a new graphics card but it wont quit you after just a few months either. granted if you can build your own computer, and know what your doing and are concerned about price, and dont need extra cores and things like that, go for it. but if you want a reliable machine Mac pro is the way to go :)

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
what if cost is nothing?:apple:

then get 10 of each :)

Throughout the life time of your hardware, the games' minimum requirements will increase significantly, therefore spending £1000 every other year will be better than spending £2000 every 4 years.
If you have a one in a lifetime opportunity to get a high end computer for free, go with the Mac Pro as it will be easier to re-use for other non-gaming related functions when it becomes too old for proper gaming.

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
Listen, I am an pro audio guy. I am also a semi pro gamer. This machine handles ALL my needs. From Video editing in After Effects, to Sound recording in Cubase with a Motu-828 to Flash Development. At the end of the day, I boot windows and rock out on some CoD: World at war.

I used to play competitively in CAL and TWL, so I know about changing config files and removing the FPS cap. I had CoD4 getting 350 FPS on this machine on a custom config I wrote.

The only downsides are lack of sound card, and lack of inexpensive installation of Raid drives...but honestly I do not miss them. I am actually thinking of putting in an Audigy-ZS from an older computer knowing it will only work in windows for 7.1.

Don't listen to these guys who say this is for professionals only. Buy one for ALL your needs, you'll be happy you did.

runtime knows what's up. if you need serious OS X power, and like to play games as well, there's no better system than the pro.
i spend most of my time recording in Logic, but after that's done I boot up vista and play fallout 3, company of heroes, dead space, etc,etc.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
what if cost is nothing?:apple:

Just askin, but does that mean someone else is buying?:confused:

Because that means its still costing alot, alot more than youd know.

Again, jsut a question, i dont know how old u are or anything, it was just a thought provoking question.

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
it will work fine but is not a cost-effective option.

if you need a serious machine for OS X, then it definitely IS cost effective.
I was in a situation where I needed to upgrade my gaming rig (FX-60 cpu and 7800GTXs SLI'd were not getting it done any more) and my mac. Buying one mac pro with an 8800gt and 10GB of ram was cheaper than buying 2 computers- the mini or imac were not options due to my Logic recording requirements.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Yes. Of course you can, anything is possible.

However, pointless to spend 3000$ to do something a 500$ PC can do.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Building your own and buying a mini with the left over cash is a bad idea, you'll get a great Windows machine, and frankly a bad OSX computer. The may be your best option to avoid that, but in general you're so much better off dealing with a 100% windows system. No hardware walls, cheap RAID arrays, anything and everything will be compatible. Or, on the OSX side, choice of two decent and out of date cards, $350 RAID cards, and ****** to non-existent overclocking.

Now, the caveat: I am planning on buying a Mac Pro when they're updated to play games and replace my G4. But I also keep a Windows PC (See sig) which is about ready to be updated in February. But if you can only do one, don't even consider the Pro.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
overclocking was never healthy anyway...
and if you do it properly your computer sounds like a jet plane or has liquid cooling..
and might i remind you that games have started to utilize multicore. So have video cards.
(thats probably why GTA IV is running smoothly with 1500 of 500mb resources used, maxed out, native res, right?)
graphics are outdated perhaps yes, but they are upgradable although theyre only used in windows... i cant think of a thing why would i use a GTX280 in OS X. really. To play cider ported games? no thanks, i rather run bootcamp...
so, counting that you have 8 cores you still have more than any gaming rig on the planet. :)
and to be honest i dont remember reading that anyone could run GTA IV decently with a dated quadcore. especially with 0,5gigs of vram.

but yeah,its a bad idea to get a mini anyway.. especially if its not updated soon.

but as i said, its not a gaming rig, i wouldnt get one for games solely, but i definitely play (and am able to play) them on it.

oh, and im running xp64 which isnt (or at least wasnt at the time) supported by bootcamp. but it runs mighty fine!! and at least i get all 4gigs of ram in it. and will read another 4 when i get them too.
:)

StarQ1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Just askin, but does that mean someone else is buying?:confused:

Because that means its still costing alot, alot more than youd know.

Again, jsut a question, i dont know how old u are or anything, it was just a thought provoking question.

Yeah I brougt one from a mac store around here for
$13,598.00:cool:
window vista - 500:D:apple:, am selling my pc;)

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Left 4 dead and every MMO there is :D

Well as I am sure you know WoW is native for OS X as well as Windows, and plays very nicely on a Mac Pro. The OS X client for WoW has a number of Mac only features as well, the most useful being to record in game video with or without the UI interface.

jlamb0

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
as someone else said Boot Camp is free, but you will need a full copy of windows to install on your boot camp partition. You will not be able to use a software restore disk that came with a PC.

I don't know how things may have changed with Vista, but I have used my old Dell System Restore Disk to install Windows XP on my Macbook. The license key is invalid, but you have 30 days to activate windows before you get locked out. At this point, your only legal option is to provide XP with a valid license, or I guess you could reinstall windows and get another 30 days.

It isn't the most convenient, long-term solution, but it's technically feasible.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
yeah G4 is a jet plane :)
but MP is more silent than any pc ive heard
and it runs quite cool

yah, overclocking if you know what you are doing... but thats another few bucks to spend anyway then, isnt it.
besides, why would you overclock in the world of multicore, everything is leaning towards more cores

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.