Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grampa Joe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
I have a iMac G5, Rev. A, PowerMac8.1, PowerPC G5 (3.0), no iSight.,
S/Number W84511...

I see that Parallels requires the Intel core duo. Does this mean I won't be able to install Parallels?

When/if I upgrade to Leopard, will it work on my iMac?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Sorry, Parallels requires Intel processors. The OS has nothing to do with it...

You can however run Virtual PC if you want to run Windows on your Power Mac. It's not as fast as Parallels, but it should enable you to run pretty much anything that runs under Parallels...

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Unfortunately (or is that fortunately?) you will never be able to run Parallels on a G5. The G5 is a Power PC processor and Windows can not run on it, it can only run on the Intel based Macs. The only way of running Windows on a Power PC Mac is through an emulation like Virtual PC, which runs incredibly slowly and is extremely limited in what it can do.

Grampa Joe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait for the "new" Mac Mini to be introduced and buy one. I have a MBP, but don't want to mess it up by installing Parallels.

Yoda47

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2006
MI, USA
Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait for the "new" Mac Mini to be introduced and buy one. I have a MBP, but don't want to mess it up by installing Parallels.

Um, Parallels won't mess up anything... Now, if you install Windows in Parallels, you can trash your Windows VM, but it won't hurt OS X at all, just delete the three files in the Parallels folder, and re-install Windows, it's just a virtual machine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.