Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJPitcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
If I have two screens, can one run windows and one run osx at the same time? That'd make for some pretty fast switching, no?

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Yep, I do that almost every day, too. When I'm at my desk and my MBP is connected to a monitor.

And if I'm not at my desk, I have windows on a different virtual screen (using virtue) and rotate back and forth as needed.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
i do the same, at work i have my MBP C2D hooked up with parallels i love it....switch between them all day....does everything i need it to and more...;-)

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Quick question to all here that use Parallels (no need to start new thread), how much RAM does Parallels running Windows with no apps take? I just want to know what kind of performance hit I will be taking with Parallels (as I debate between it or BootCamp alone).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You can set a RAM amount for Parallels. This is based on how much you want set aside for Windows. Since you don't want to run XP on anything less than 512MB, it should take just over 512. Or more than that if you need to be generous to XP. I wouldn't even bother with Parallels if you don't have at least 1GB of physical RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.