Can I run windows and osx at the same time with two screens?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NJPitcher, Nov 11, 2006.

1. NJPitcher macrumors regular

If I have two screens, can one run windows and one run osx at the same time? That'd make for some pretty fast switching, no?

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, I do that all the time. OS X on one screen, XP under Parallels on the other.

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Yep, I do that almost every day, too. When I'm at my desk and my MBP is connected to a monitor.

And if I'm not at my desk, I have windows on a different virtual screen (using virtue) and rotate back and forth as needed.

5. sixth macrumors 6502

i do the same, at work i have my MBP C2D hooked up with parallels i love it....switch between them all day....does everything i need it to and more...;-)

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Make sure you understand the limitations between Parallels vs. Boot Camp though.

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Quick question to all here that use Parallels (no need to start new thread), how much RAM does Parallels running Windows with no apps take? I just want to know what kind of performance hit I will be taking with Parallels (as I debate between it or BootCamp alone).

8. JAT macrumors 603

You can set a RAM amount for Parallels. This is based on how much you want set aside for Windows. Since you don't want to run XP on anything less than 512MB, it should take just over 512. Or more than that if you need to be generous to XP. I wouldn't even bother with Parallels if you don't have at least 1GB of physical RAM.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I wouldn't bother with Parallels even if you have 1Gb of RAM. 1.5 ~ 2 is what you need to run it properly.

10. Cockroach macrumors 6502

I set XP to use 412MB and it runs perfectly fine. I have 2GB physical RAM. I don't think you need a lot to run Parallels.