Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladyhawkjamaica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
My G3 is a beige tower WITHOUT original USB ports. It has the max amount of RAM, but I have not upgraded the processor - 233 MHz. It has an aftermarket 40Gig HD added. It currently runs 10.2.8. It seems that I had no problems with Netscape until I did the upgrade to .8, but I can't remember exactly when or why the problems started. (I do remember bragging to my PC husband that my computer was not longer freezing up after the painful upgrade from 9 to 10.2.)

My problem is that Netscape keeps croaking, but Safari will not operate with key pages I need to access, like my online banking. So I bought the 10.3 full install (so I could upgrade my Safari and/or Netscape), only to find out it wants original USB ports. I have aftermarket USB ports, but apparently that doesn't work. I disconnected my second HD in hopes that would do the trick, but it did not.

I've read a couple of threads along this line, but haven't found any back doors/secret passages.

1. Does anyone know of a way I can "trick" X.3 into installing on this computer?

2. If not, how can I solve my problem with Netscape? It only croaks when I click the scroll bar to page down. It does not freeze the computer, but it seems that once it happens it will do it repeatedly until I leave it alone for a day or so. Rebooting does not seem to help. I don't know why it works better if I leave it alone - that sounds stupid to me, but there it is. :eek:

Any and all advice is appreciated. However, I cannot afford a new Mac, much as I would love to buy a G5 or something. I don't even look at them anymore. I would like to just keep upgrading this Mac. Yes, I know it's an antique - I've even been laughed at by Apple techs.

THanks!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Do a search...

ladyhawkjamaica said:
My G3 is a beige tower WITHOUT original USB ports. It has the max amount of RAM, but I have not upgraded the processor - 233 MHz. It has an aftermarket 40Gig HD added. It currently runs 10.2.8. It seems that I had no problems with Netscape until I did the upgrade to .8, but I can't remember exactly when or why the problems started. (I do remember bragging to my PC husband that my computer was not longer freezing up after the painful upgrade from 9 to 10.2.)

My problem is that Netscape keeps croaking, but Safari will not operate with key pages I need to access, like my online banking. So I bought the 10.3 full install (so I could upgrade my Safari and/or Netscape), only to find out it wants original USB ports. I have aftermarket USB ports, but apparently that doesn't work. I disconnected my second HD in hopes that would do the trick, but it did not.

I've read a couple of threads along this line, but haven't found any back doors/secret passages.

1. Does anyone know of a way I can "trick" X.3 into installing on this computer?

2. If not, how can I solve my problem with Netscape? It only croaks when I click the scroll bar to page down. It does not freeze the computer, but it seems that once it happens it will do it repeatedly until I leave it alone for a day or so. Rebooting does not seem to help. I don't know why it works better if I leave it alone - that sounds stupid to me, but there it is. :eek:

Any and all advice is appreciated. However, I cannot afford a new Mac, much as I would love to buy a G5 or something. I don't even look at them anymore. I would like to just keep upgrading this Mac. Yes, I know it's an antique - I've even been laughed at by Apple techs.

THanks!

Do a search for a little app call x post facto. It will do the trick.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
You need a little piece of shareware called XPostFacto.

With XPostFacto you can install Panther (10.3.x) or tiger (10.4.x) on your Beige G3, and, once installed, boot from it normally.

I'm typing at you from a WallStreet PowerBook (no built-in USB) running 10.3.8, I haven't gotten around to upgrading to Tiger but I could if I wanted to.

ladyhawkjamaica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
ahunter3 said:
You need a little piece of shareware called XPostFacto.

With XPostFacto you can install Panther (10.3.x) or tiger (10.4.x) on your Beige G3, and, once installed, boot from it normally.

I'm typing at you from a WallStreet PowerBook (no built-in USB) running 10.3.8, I haven't gotten around to upgrading to Tiger but I could if I wanted to.

Thanks both to you and APPLERETAILGUY. I looked up XPostFacto, and I'm ready to go with it. Two questions first:

1. I don't have a CD or DVD burner yet, so I can't back up data except to my SCSI HD. In fact, everything is on there already. Do you think that is sufficient backup? I'm talking basically photos and a few docs.

2. Should I be terribly concerned regarding the video probs with G3's? After this upgrade I plan to install a Radeon 7000 video card so I can get an LCD monitor. Will using XPF with X.3 put a dent in those plans?

Thank you again!! :D

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
no it shouldent hurt the ability to put the ati video card in and use it i think dont quote me on that cause i havent used xpostfacto yet but i hav read that others have done it i plan to put a pci ati radion 9200 128mb video card in this if it will work

ladyhawkjamaica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
like a charm

OS 3.5 working like a charm, thanks to XPostFacto. No problems encountered yet, knock on wood. New Logitech infrared mouse working great, huge improvement over original mouse. Next I will install the Radeon 7000 and "borrow" my husband's Dell LCD monitor to see how it works. ;)

Thanks to all for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.