Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

producer4u

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Maybe a dumb question to tech savy mac people, but here is my situation:

I posted 3 or 4 days ago about the new purchase of a power man or fully loaded i-Mac, BUT.....

1. Can this Power mac G5 be upgraded to the new processors utilizing my now mother board.
2. If so, how difficult?
3. What kind of SSD could I use, what's the best $ on one and how difficult to install?

Here is what I now have

Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5
1.5GB ram
250 GB haddrive

Thank You in Advance!!!!

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Power PC's cannot be upgraded to anything but other Power PC's CPU's so no Intel CPU's at all. Does your G5 have any Sata connectors? Not sure what SSD you could put in it, if any.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Maybe a dumb question to tech savy mac people, but here is my situation:

I posted 3 or 4 days ago about the new purchase of a power man or fully loaded i-Mac, BUT.....

1. Can this Power mac G5 be upgraded to the new processors utilizing my now mother board.
2. If so, how difficult?
3. What kind of SSD could I use, what's the best $ on one and how difficult to install?

Here is what I now have

Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5
1.5GB ram
250 GB haddrive

Thank You in Advance!!!!

Your current Logic board that has your G5 Chips on will NOT Take any Intel chips. You can't upgrade the PowerMac to take an Intel chip.
However you can install an SSD, any SATA one will work fine.

producer4u

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Oh man that sucks hey!!!!! Just have to get a new Mac Pro and go from there.....

Any hint of when the new versions are coming out? Next month or two??? I really need an upgrade in about a month to month and a half.

Thanks!!!

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
You don't necessarily have to wait for the new Mac Pro to come out, there are lots of alternatives with older models that can save you a lot of money and still offer incredible performance.

Look at used or refurb 2009/2010 models.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
If you don't want to wait, want to save money and/or are comfy changing a CPU (easier than changing an oil filter if you ask me) then here's what I'd do:

~ Buy a 2009 or 2010 Mac Pro like this one here. You can find deals locally, craigslist, eBay or whatever.

~ Buy this CPU right here. If you have a 2009, download the firmware updater app for free on this forum here. You'll need to register AND LOG IN to see the file at the bottom of the first post.

~ Buy RAM from a place like this, instead of Apple.

~ Get yourself some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste at Microcenter, Radio Shack or wherever you buy electronic/computer supplies , some Q-tips, and follow the directions to upgrade the CPU on this thread here.

~ Skip the ??? and proceed directly to Profit. You'll have a 2010 6-core for way less than buying new... about $3000 or more depending on what else you add to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.