Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I have a Mac Mini right now. It came with a VGA -> DVI converter, and since nearly everything seem to be DVI, this was very good for me. Also, my KVM switch is DVI, so using the converter saved my butt.

But now, I'm thinking of getting an iMac. And the iMac doesn't come with a converter. And since I'd be getting an iMac, I'd most likely sell the converter with the Mac Mini, right? I suppose I *could* buy a converter on eBay or something, but does the iMac come with a converter? Also, I'm sure there are people here who use a KVM switch with iMac + PC? I suppose you have a good experience?

Please post stuff like what KVM switch you use with an iMac, if you use one, or any advice you have :)

Thanks!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Well, with the iMac, you wouldn't be sharing the same screen.

If you just want to use the USB sharing part of the KVM, that should work with no monitor plugged into the KVM. As far sharing monitors, you wouldn't be able to display the PC on the iMac screen. I guess you're talking about displaying the iMac's screen on the PC's monitor.

How would the KVM not work for that? Sounds like it should work.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
ITASOR said:
Well, with the iMac, you wouldn't be sharing the same screen.

If you just want to use the USB sharing part of the KVM, that should work with no monitor plugged into the KVM. As far sharing monitors, you wouldn't be able to display the PC on the iMac screen. I guess you're talking about displaying the iMac's screen on the PC's monitor.

How would the KVM not work for that? Sounds like it should work.
I want to display PC on the iMac monitor. So, not possible? :(

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
The port on the back of your iMac is Video OUT not IN, so unfortunately, it's not possible. I have lamented this many times as it would be very cool to use the iMac as a monitor for another system. Oh well, maybe someday someone will hack one together and post instructions.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Gary King said:
I want to display PC on the iMac monitor. So, not possible? :(

If you've got real balls you could try opening up the iMac to see how the monitor is connected internally. If it uses a standard dvi type connection then you could run a couple of wires out to a kvm switch box. If it uses a dvi type connection but with a different type of cable end (like a ribbon cable) then you *might* be able to wire up some kind of home brew adaptor.

This is all only theoretical of course though. In the original G3 imacs the monitor is connected via a standard Apple video connector, hence the possibility that they still use a 'similar' method.

Phil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.