Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Yeah we've been doing that but there are pictures which just don't need to be in a PhotoStream and may as well be sent as a message.

Shared PhotoStream and the regular PhotoStream compresses photos by the way. Weird they want to keep iMessage photos uncompressed but PhotoStream compressed?

It's on apple servers. They don't want to use a ton of storage on something they are giving you for free

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
Uncompressed picture message is the sole reason I use iMessages.

It's not like we don't have enough storage space or limited data connection speed these days.

mattboner

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2014
Agreed with the post above. I hate using whatsapp and viber because the images get compressed.

Here's what you do.
Just take a screenshot of the screen when viewing the photo then delete the original picture.

THAT SOLVES YOUR PROBLEM. CASE CLOSED.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Here's what you do.
Just take a screenshot of the screen when viewing the photo then delete the original picture.

THAT SOLVES YOUR PROBLEM. CASE CLOSED.

That doesn't solve any problem, that makes matters worse. That turns a 500KB JPEG into a 1.3MB PNG.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Well this is so annoying, I expect <300KB if it's going to be sent over the Internet as a message. I don't know what their game could be not compressing photos but I think everyone is losing out.

Losing out by easily being able to send and receive true quality photos?

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
iMessage still compressed my image file. I sent a 22MB photo through iMessage via WiFi and it was compressed to less than 2MB.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
OP: you're going in circles. You aren't going to convince other people that your point is right.

Yes it would be nice to have an option. No Apple probably isn't going to give us the option. Complaining about it on MacRumors isn't going to change anything.

It's not "free", I paid for it when I bought the devices.

Apple gives you 5GB for your iCloud storage. If you want more you can pay for it.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
OP: you're going in circles. You aren't going to convince other people that your point is right.

Yes it would be nice to have an option. No Apple probably isn't going to give us the option. Complaining about it on MacRumors isn't going to change anything.

I didn't even come here to persuade people that compressed photos are more efficient in an IM scenario, I just wanted to know if they're compressing photos in iOS8 and got my answer fairly quickly.

Everyone else here is arguing for something that they've already got...which is pointless...

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
It's not "free", I paid for it when I bought the devices.

You still don't get it?:confused:

Apple gives you 5GB for your iCloud storage. If you want more you can pay for it.

This.

I didn't even come here to persuade people that compressed photos are more efficient in an IM scenario, I just wanted to know if they're compressing photos in iOS8 and got my answer fairly quickly.

Everyone else here is arguing for something that they've already got...which is pointless...

Yet, you're still going on. More whining about what you think you're entitled to when you purchase a device. If you don't like what's given to you, find an alternative.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

And then you continue to argue about the technicalities of compression. You aren't getting anywhere(and most likely, neither am I). Like I said, having the option would be great. But since we don't have the option, I prefer the current functionality over your suggestion that they should be compressed.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
I would like to set a retention policy on all iMessages that any messages older than X (7, 14, or 30, chosen by the user) will be automatically deleted from the phone. In light of this not ever becoming an option, wouldn't the snapchat like feature help or does it only auto delete photos taken from the camera whilst in iMessage?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
And then you continue to argue about the technicalities of compression.

Yes, because people seemed to be misinformed about what compression means.

----------

I would like to set a retention policy on all iMessages that any messages older than X (7, 14, or 30, chosen by the user) will be automatically deleted from the phone. In light of this not ever becoming an option, wouldn't the snapchat like feature help or does it only auto delete photos taken from the camera whilst in iMessage?

I think this is actually a feature in iOS8, along with the ability to delete all photos in a thread.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Ok. Just tested iMessage again. When I sent the 22MB file, it was a TIFF file. iMessage converted to a JPG file which compressed it to a file < 2MB in size. I sent a 10MB JPG image via WiFi. The image stayed at 10MB on the recipients iPhone running iOS 7.1.1. No conversion or compression which is good news for us who prefers no compression during transit through iMessage.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Ok. Just tested iMessage again. When I sent the 22MB file, it was a TIFF file. iMessage converted to a JPG file which compressed it to a file < 2MB in size. I sent a 10MB JPG image via WiFi. The image stayed at 10MB on the recipients iPhone running iOS 7.1.1. No conversion or compression which is good news for us who prefers no compression during transit through iMessage.

I imagine the one that iMessage compressed looked something like this

bdkv.jpeg

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Can someone check to see if iMessage compresses photos/videos yet?

I imagine the one that iMessage compressed looked something like this

LOL... Not quite. Image quality will be difficult to examine on the small screens of a smartphone but it would be nice to have the images unmolested. I have friends and family who may want to use an image I captured as a cropped wallpaper on a smartphone or computer or print the image on canvas. That when an untouched image is nice to have.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You mean in light of this exact thing being an option in iOS 8?

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
People send me text based images (for example maybe textbook page) so uncompressed images are very much appreciated.

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
I get photos from coworkers and need them uncompressed. I have to instruct people all the time not to compress them in Email attachments as wells. It nice to send my wife pictures when I travel that also for nice quality for her to view on her iPhone 5 or iPad 4.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Until iOS 8 goes gold with a final feature set I'm not getting my hopes up. It's still beta so subject to change.
Nevertheless, it's still a ways off from "not ever becoming an option" at this point given that at the very least it's much more likely that it will be an existing option (as it is an existing one in iOS 8 betas).

EricDejuan

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
Uncompressed picture message is the sole reason I use iMessages.

It's not like we don't have enough storage space or limited data connection speed these days.

I love uncompressed photos and videos for the better quality. This is one feature that is much better than Android. I HATE seeing crappy MMS videos that Android friends try to send me.

I am a professional photographer, I hate when I send my photos to clients and they upload the photo from their Android phone. The photo becomes extremely pixelated.

EricDejuan

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013

Yes exactly like that. Which is why I can't understand why anyone would WANT to compressed photos and videos. I actually did a video tutorial on the difference on how video MMS is handled between iMessage and standard messaging.

On Android devices the video wouldn't send and gave an error message stating the "file was too large" or it wouldn't simply send it. These were 10 second videos. Android hardware has basically outgrown the standard messaging that's built in. Most have to upload to 3rd party sources just to show a "quick video".

----------

Why should I need a separate app? Furthermore, why should I persuade everyone who sends me photos to download a separate app?

What would work best is if you could choose in the settings to send/receive compressed or uncompressed.

Simple solution would bet to just turn off iMessage and use regular texting. Problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.