Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Ok people, I know this has been written about before, but I really need convincing, and I am hoping someone will do so. See, I own the iPhone 5 and also have a MacBook Pro, but want so badly to LOVE an iPad. I have bought an iPad at least 6 times, but every time I end up returning it because I feel like between my iPhone and MBP that I am duplicating too much. To be honest I will even go as far as to say that at times I feel like the iPad is nothing more than an iPhone with a large screen. Like I said, I know this has been discussed before, but I am really hoping someone will make me love owning an iPad. I am looking for advice on all the different uses that I can put it to and the things that it can do that my MBP or iPhone can't. I am looking to justify spending the $600ish on it and still having a MBP and iPhone 5. I have a Best Buy gift card for $600 that needs to be spent ;) and once again I am heavily eyeballing the iPad... Could someone please sell me :confused:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
It sounds to me like you don't need one. I prefer having a tablet for casual web browsing over a laptop, and for me, the iPad Mini will fit in well. It's good for full size web browsing and reading, along with a bunch of other things that work better with a larger screen, but it's much more portable and easy to use, especially for reading, than a laptop.

However, if this isn't your use scenario, then why waste the money? There's nothing saying you HAVE to have an iPad. If it fits the way you do things, then great. To me, it sounds like it doesn't fit the way you work, so move on.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
If you spend a good bit of your time due the Internet, the iPad is great! I no longer have my laptop on my lap after using the iPad. It sit right next to my Lazy-boy and I use it all the time. Multiple times a day!

It will not replace your computer.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
It sounds to me like you don't need one. I prefer having a tablet for casual web browsing over a laptop, and for me, the iPad Mini will fit in well. It's good for full size web browsing and reading, along with a bunch of other things that work better with a larger screen, but it's much more portable and easy to use, especially for reading, than a laptop.

However, if this isn't your use scenario, then why waste the money? There's nothing saying you HAVE to have an iPad. If it fits the way you do things, then great. To me, it sounds like it doesn't fit the way you work, so move on.

And here I was hoping to be convinced...? ;)

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
OP... if you don't need it... you just don't need it. No one needs to "sell you" on it. I actually have been in your situation... but only twice. I bought the iPad 2 and then returned it. Same with the 3rd Gen Retina. Returned it. When I am at home, I am on my iMac in my bedroom or my Hackintosh HTPC in my living room. When I am not home, I use my iPhone.

Both times I returned my iPad, I realized that this $599 (32GB minimum for me) can be used on other things if I really don't use the iPad that much.

The only time I missed having an iPad was on 5 hour flight. I brought my kids' laptop on that trip. Much heavier to carry.

I might pick up an iPad mini... someday. The cheaper price is easier to swallow for a device I use casually.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
OP... if you don't need it... you just don't need it. No one needs to "sell you" on it. I actually have been in your situation... but only twice. I bought the iPad 2 and then returned it. Same with the 3rd Gen Retina. Returned it. When I am at home, I am on my iMac in my bedroom or my Hackintosh HTPC in my living room. When I am not home, I use my iPhone.

Both times I returned my iPad, I realized that this $599 (32GB minimum for me) can be used on other things if I really don't use the iPad that much.

The only time I missed having an iPad was on 5 hour flight. I brought my kids' laptop on that trip. Much heavier to carry.

I might pick up an iPad mini... someday. The cheaper price is easier to swallow for a device I use casually.

Great points, and kind of sums up how I feel about it all. When I am home I am on my MBP. When I am out iPhone 5 suffices... Just really wanted to love an iPad since it gets so much hype. I guess I really am addicted to Apple stuff. Their psychology dept. is ingenious!

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Great points, and kind of sums up how I feel about it all. When I am home I am on my MBP. When I am out iPhone 5 suffices... Just really wanted to love an iPad since it gets so much hype. I guess I really am addicted to Apple stuff. Their psychology dept. is ingenious!

You know you can get one and try it risk free. If you decide you do not want, you can return it:apple:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have an iPad and I never use it. I use my MBP at home and iPhone when I'm about.

That should help

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
You know you can get one and try it risk free. If you decide you do not want, you can return it:apple:

You should read the whole post. I have owned one at least 6 times and returned it every time.

----------

I have an iPad and I never use it. I use my MBP at home and iPhone when I'm about.

That should help

That's what I found myself doing the times I did have one. I was just hoping someone would maybe open my eyes to something I have been missing not having an iPad.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I too have a MacBook Pro and the iPhone 5. I've had every iPhone since 2007. I bought my MacBook Pro in 2009. And I purchased every iPad since they came out. I was always using my mac book Pro surf the Internet check emails and etc. etc. prior to the release of the iPad. Since I started purchasing the iPads I very rarely even use my MacBook Pro. I just find being able to check email surf the net do some work take notes etc. etc. much more convenient on a one and a half pound tablet then on my five or 6 pound MacBook Pro. It's much easier for me to sit in front of the television set with a small tablet on my lap then have to boot up my MacBook Pro. For me it's about convenience and portability and even though the MacBook Pro is a great laptop and I love it I still find myself 95% of the time using my iPad. In fact I recently sold my iPad 3 upgraded it to the iPad 4 with very little out-of-pocket cost, And I recently picked up a 16 gig iPad Mini for the convenience of being able to read books and hold it in bed without it killing my hand. See I like to lay down in bed surf the net read books read my magazine content and the iPad while a great device It was just too heavy to hold in my hand for a side sleeper. My hand would fall asleep. So far I've been using the Mini and it's great my hand doesn't fall asleep I'm able to read my Internet my content etc. I do use the iPad 4 around the house. my plan if I did decide to keep the iPad mini would be just to use it when I'm in bed.

Again it's about convenience if you like booting up your laptop every day and having to either lug that around or sit at a desk or table to surf the Internet do your emails etc. then by all means use your MacBook Pro but if you want something that's portable and can do the same function and use just use your laptop for other things then I would go with the iPad I highly recommend it both all Apple devices are really good it just depends on what your needs are and that's what you really have to Evaluate.

It's really all comes down to personal preference I can't recommend that iPad high enough because I think it's a great tool and for me it suits my needs and as I said in my first part of my post I very rarely even use my MacBook Pro Since I've owned the iPad

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I think if you have brought one 6 times and returned each one, that answers your question....

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
When Apple decides to rescind their generous 14 day return policy, we know who to blame.

Apple's generous return policy?!?! Are you out of your freaking mind!?! I have never bought an Apple product from an Apple store. I purchase my Apple stuff from Best Buy, cause as a platinum reward zone member I have 60 days to return an item if I don't want it, not a measly 14! You won't have me to blame for anything in regards to Apple store policies because I do not shop there. Nice try though! ;)

S

syd430

I think the OP just has some strange fetish to sniff brand new iPads and put them back in the box, and this post is really just a cry for help on how he can stop.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
When Apple decides to rescind their generous 14 day return policy, we know who to blame.

I agree with that statement. It is WRONG to keep doing this.

But, aside from that - nobody, and I mean nobody here can convince you to have an ipad. You have proven it to yourself. It is not for you.

Some people are totally happy with just an iphone.

Some with... and some with...

We are all different. If not, who would buy those butt ugly orange mustangs?

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I carry my macbook air with me to work daily. It's used for writing manuscripts, creating scientific figures, photo processing, etc., meaning things that require multiple applications with different functions open at once.

My iPad? I use it for web browsing, email, eBooks, RSS, socializing. It's my go-to when I'm traveling, and it's what I use while sitting on the bus. I use it to write drafts of papers in an environment where I won't be as distracted and don't need to insert figures or worry about formatting (I use a BT keyboard for this). I use it to review presentations before giving them, as well as reading science papers in PDF, highlighting, and annotating them (via the Papers application). I use it to read digital textbooks that would normally weigh several pounds; all this reading is much, much better on an iPad because it simply replicates the experience of a regular book better than a laptop would.

To each their own though. Not everyone will figure out how the iPad fits into their life. For me, all the above can be done on a Mini at a lighter weight and will be more practical when carried around with my MacBook air, so I'm switching to the small one. I've been using the iPad since the first one, and I've never though that it "didn't make sense."

Yes my iPhone can do a bunch of these things, but it serves its own function, and is most useful to me when I'm going somewhere (i.e. out to dinner, etc) where I don't carry a bag or just plan on doing something casual (i.e. reading is not on my list of things to do). I use both the iPad and iPhone heavily and find that they complement each other nicely; with the MacBook, they all still retain their own useful functions.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Ok people, I know this has been written about before, but I really need convincing, and I am hoping someone will do so. See, I own the iPhone 5 and also have a MacBook Pro, but want so badly to LOVE an iPad. I have bought an iPad at least 6 times, but every time I end up returning it because I feel like between my iPhone and MBP that I am duplicating too much. To be honest I will even go as far as to say that at times I feel like the iPad is nothing more than an iPhone with a large screen. Like I said, I know this has been discussed before, but I am really hoping someone will make me love owning an iPad. I am looking for advice on all the different uses that I can put it to and the things that it can do that my MBP or iPhone can't. I am looking to justify spending the $600ish on it and still having a MBP and iPhone 5. I have a Best Buy gift card for $600 that needs to be spent ;) and once again I am heavily eyeballing the iPad... Could someone please sell me :confused:

I got rid of my laptop when I got the iPad. My iPad gets a lot more use than any laptop because I can bring my iPad where I normally would never bring my laptop. My iPhone mainly serves as a music player and as the in a "pinch" Internet device. For more comfortable surfing I am on my iPad. The iPad is also my go to video player. I keep my favorite shows I have DLed on it to watch at the gym. I also have a Mac mini now as the central hub of my media.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
I think the OP just has some strange fetish to sniff brand new iPads and put them back in the box, and this post is really just a cry for help on how he can stop.

Congrats syd, there is always one d-bag that has to chime in with a smart !@# remark on every thread... You are the winner! I'll never understand why when I come to these forums that there is at the least one person just like you that just has to try and grind on someone. Did your momma not hold you enough? There is nothing at all wrong with my post and I have been friendly and cordial, so for you to lash out says something about you, not me.

----------

I carry my macbook air with me to work daily. It's used for writing manuscripts, creating scientific figures, photo processing, etc., meaning things that require multiple applications with different functions open at once.

My iPad? I use it for web browsing, email, eBooks, RSS, socializing. It's my go-to when I'm traveling, and it's what I use while sitting on the bus. I use it to write drafts of papers in an environment where I won't be as distracted and don't need to insert figures or worry about formatting (I use a BT keyboard for this). I use it to review presentations before giving them, as well as reading science papers in PDF, highlighting, and annotating them (via the Papers application). I use it to read digital textbooks that would normally weigh several pounds; all this reading is much, much better on an iPad because it simply replicates the experience of a regular book better than a laptop would.

To each their own though. Not everyone will figure out how the iPad fits into their life. For me, all the above can be done on a Mini at a lighter weight and will be more practical when carried around with my MacBook air, so I'm switching to the small one. I've been using the iPad since the first one, and I've never though that it "didn't make sense."

Yes my iPhone can do a bunch of these things, but it serves its own function, and is most useful to me when I'm going somewhere (i.e. out to dinner, etc) where I don't carry a bag or just plan on doing something casual (i.e. reading is not on my list of things to do). I use both the iPad and iPhone heavily and find that they complement each other nicely; with the MacBook, they all still retain their own useful functions.

Great post, thanks!

----------

I agree with that statement. It is WRONG to keep doing this.

But, aside from that - nobody, and I mean nobody here can convince you to have an ipad. You have proven it to yourself. It is not for you.

Some people are totally happy with just an iphone.

Some with... and some with...

We are all different. If not, who would buy those butt ugly orange mustangs?

See post #13

S

syd430

Congrats syd, there is always one d-bag that has to chime in with a smart !@# remark on every thread... You are the winner! I'll never understand why when I come to these forums that there is at the least one person just like you that just has to try and grind on someone. Did your momma not hold you enough? There is nothing at all wrong with my post and I have been friendly and cordial, so for you to lash out says something about you, not me.

----------

Great post, thanks!

I came to that conclusion because you returned 6 of them, then came on a forum to ask if you should buy a 7th.

So continuing on from my previous post...

Step 1) in order to prevent a short term relapse, try not to reminisce on the intoxicating fragrance of a still wrapped in plastic ipad though out your daily routine.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

From reading your post, it looks like the iPad isn't for you. Buying it six times should be a huge red flag to you, in my opinion.

If the product and it's abilities don't convince you that you would benefit from it's day to day use, asking fellow forum members won't yield any better results.

Save the gift card for something else.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Apple's generous return policy?!?! Are you out of your freaking mind!?! I have never bought an Apple product from an Apple store. I purchase my Apple stuff from Best Buy, cause as a platinum reward zone member I have 60 days to return an item if I don't want it, not a measly 14! You won't have me to blame for anything in regards to Apple store policies because I do not shop there. Nice try though! ;)

Sounds like you just have a love for gadgets. I haven't been to a Best Buy in years and I don't want to pay their restocking fees when I return stuff.

It honestly sounds like you don't need an iPad. As a stock owner, I would love it if you buy and keep more Apple stuff... but buying and returning it 6 times should be enough to tell you about your usage patterns. Unless that drastically changes, you'd be insane for repeating the same steps and hoping for a different result.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
I came to that conclusion because you returned 6 of them, then came on a forum to ask if you should buy a 7th.

So continuing on from my previous post...

Step 1) in order to prevent a short term relapse, try not to reminisce on the intoxicating fragrance of a still wrapped in plastic ipad though out your daily routine.

I came here seeking insight into something that I may have missed the times that I have owned an iPad. Ya know, reasons that I might have overlooked that would make it a good reason to hold on to one and implement it into my current list of devices. Thanks.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Congrats syd, there is always one d-bag that has to chime in with a smart !@# remark on every thread... You are the winner! I'll never understand why when I come to these forums that there is at the least one person just like you that just has to try and grind on someone. Did your momma not hold you enough? There is nothing at all wrong with my post and I have been friendly and cordial, so for you to lash out says something about you, not me

Honestly, when you post a thread asking strangers to convince you to buy an item you admit you have already purchased and returned 6 times, it is the equivalent of wearing a sign saying "Kick Me".

NRN

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
I had a similiar justification issue but with the Macbook Pro/MBA, not the iPad. I own an iMac, and do all of my personal computing on it, when needed. Bought an MBA to replace my iMac. It wasn't powerfull enough for me, so I quickly traded it in for a MBPro, then decided against that too and am waiting for the new iMac to be released for resale.

That being said, i am so-not a laptop person. I hate the trackpads, I hate sitting with a computer on my lap and prefer to use a tablet for internet browsing, emails, calendars, games, photos; etc... That being said, i totally agree with everyone else when they say that you probably don't "need" one.

Everyone is different! Maybe try the iPad Mini instead of the full-sized ipad!

good luck.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Sounds like you just have a love for gadgets. I haven't been to a Best Buy in years and I don't want to pay their restocking fees when I return stuff.

It honestly sounds like you don't need an iPad. As a stock owner, I would love it if you buy and keep more Apple stuff... but buying and returning it 6 times should be enough to tell you about your usage patterns. Unless that drastically changes, you'd be insane for repeating the same steps and hoping for a different result.

Best Buy have no re-stocking fees for platinum reward zone members. You know what is crazy to me, is that I have always considered myself to be an avid Apple person. Over the past 15 years I have bought dozens of devices and love them all, and yet when I look at some of the responses on threads I can understand why the Microsoft and Android guys get so pissed at the Apple "fan boys", because you all can be downright rude and condescending. As a stock owner you should be thrilled that someone is even taking the time to put so much effort into owning Apple products and be nicer to them for that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.