Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Is there an app that allows for that? Or an app on iMac that someone can recommend that can convert it to *.mov or *.mp4 for use on iPad?

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I am playing with iMovie right now, but it doesn't see/support *.mts and *.m2ts files. I am a newbie when it comes to things like this, but was able to use iMovie to merge a few holiday clips, add titles, transitions, and music backgrounds. Neat for sure, and can turn random clips into an enjoyable moment for family and relatives, makes it much more presentable that's for sure!

Preparing a project and going to see how it plays on my iPad.

Dazd

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
iMovie won't natively open or import mts files BUT if you hook your camera up to the mac and get iMovie to import the video straight from the camera it should pull into iMovie quite nicely.

HTH

Daz :)

sally456

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010
I am playing with iMovie right now, but it doesn't see/support *.mts and *.m2ts files. I am a newbie when it comes to things like this, but was able to use iMovie to merge a few holiday clips, add titles, transitions, and music backgrounds. Neat for sure, and can turn random clips into an enjoyable moment for family and relatives, makes it much more presentable that's for sure!

Preparing a project and going to see how it plays on my iPad.

Maybe you need a converter like this:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mts-converter/id486608645?mt=12

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Menneisyys2, thanks for the link to the article writeup. I used handbrake and converted all my video files in the last 2-3 days. No stuttering, and the audio was in synch so I'm one happy clam now. Started grouping the clips together and working to create 5-6 various themed presentations. I am slowly diggin' this stuff.

In iMovie or FCPX is there a way to add bubble texts like I see in youtube videos where the author wishes to broadcast a thought or a short message on top of a live footage area of concern? Sorry I am a newbie looking for guidance :)

Is there also a feature or app where I can compare, say 2 different pictures of the same person 10 years apart, and using a slider to side between the two pictures, where one picture is sitting on top of the other. Not really putting thoughts to words, am I? Gahh.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a pass-thru mode, the most preferable one. (Incidentally, it seems none of their other converters have pass-thru.)

Unless you ABSOLUTELY need to recompress the video stream (mainly to save some space), I do not recommend recompressing at all. Get the iVI converter - it's a nice pass-thru converter and is considerably cheaper ($4).

----------

Menneisyys2, thanks for the link to the article writeup. I used handbrake and converted all my video files in the last 2-3 days. No stuttering, and the audio was in synch so I'm one happy clam now. Started grouping the clips together and working to create 5-6 various themed presentations. I am slowly diggin' this stuff.

Just remember: pass-thru is always the most preferred solution, unless you do need to (vastly) reduce the size of the resulting file.

(I'll try to answer your other questions later when I have some time to play around with these apps.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.