Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
i heard somewhere there was a voltage problem and nothing by protools will work.
or there any specific pcix cards that work or are announced for these machines?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
5V PCI cards will not work. Newer, low voltage (3.3V ?) PCI cards will work. Don't really know if there are any PCIX cards available, yet.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I dont think that PCI-X is backwards compatable at all with older PCI cards. If I were you, Id stick with the AGP card that comes inside of it anyways.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by G5orbust
I dont think that PCI-X is backwards compatable at all with older PCI cards. If I were you, Id stick with the AGP card that comes inside of it anyways.
Can't tell what you mean, exactly. PCI-X *is* backward compatible with PCI cards, but not the 5V ones.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Like the XServe -- NONE of the new machines can use 5V cards.

MacBidouille has it WRONG, the G5 1.6GHz is NOT the lone 5V holdout -- trying will probably fry the machine.

Even the AGP slots are not backward compatible, the cards must be the new 1.5V cards.

For a more entertaining take on getting cards to work...

INFO: G5's not compatible with Digidesign PCI cards

(You can also get it directly from the G5 Developer Docs.)

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by daveL
Can't tell what you mean, exactly. PCI-X *is* backward compatible with PCI cards, but not the 5V ones.

ah I was not aware that it couldnt take 5V ones. I thought that the whole architechture and connectors were changed, and therefore would prohibit older PCI altogether- though I may be getting confused with PCI-Express.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
well basically next year i want a pcix dual g5 2.0 ghz plus and i would like to use some of the pci cards i have in my current macs and here are some of them.
m-audio rev 7.1-yamaha 2416 dspfactory-emagic audiower2-protools digi oo1, and roland rpc1 sound pci cards.
siig ata 133 ide card sonnet 100 ide card adaotec 29160 and 2930 scsi card atto uld2 dual 80 card scsi card.dlink 10/100 card . firewire 800 card firewire/ usb combo card, usb2 card, usb 1.1 card, ati radeon 7000 and ati rage 128 pro card, twin turbo card and ixmicro card, of course some of this will go to ebay or be given away
i seem to be hearing two different things, one is no the old ones wont work, two only the 3.3 volt ones will work (how do you tell what is what).
and also that there are absolutely no pcix cards at present that work with apples g5 with pcix
anyway thanks for the replies as this is very important for a lot of people

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by daveg5
well basically next year i want a pcix dual g5 2.0 ghz plus and i would like to use some of the pci cards i have in my current macs and here are some of them.
m-audio rev 7.1-yamaha 2416 dspfactory-emagic audiower2-protools digi oo1, and roland rpc1 sound pci cards.
siig ata 133 ide card sonnet 100 ide card adaotec 29160 and 2930 scsi card atto uld2 dual 80 card scsi card.dlink 10/100 card . firewire 800 card firewire/ usb combo card, usb2 card, usb 1.1 card, ati radeon 7000 and ati rage 128 pro card, twin turbo card and ixmicro card, of course some of this will go to ebay or be given away
i seem to be hearing two different things, one is no the old ones wont work, two only the 3.3 volt ones will work (how do you tell what is what).
and also that there are absolutely no pcix cards at present that work with apples g5 with pcix
anyway thanks for the replies as this is very important for a lot of people

holy cow thats a ton of stuff! I hope, for your sake, that everything turns out OK for you. It looks like you can still use your PCI cards in the single 1.6 GHz, as that has the old 33MHz 64 bit PCI slots.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
yea 3 macs over the years. really the ones i want to keep is one of the sound cards and the usb2/firewire card and maybe the video or scsi card i will still keep the bw around for deus ex and the fsaa voodoo 5500 (i know that dosnt work for 3d in osx) all others will be sold or given to family members. i am suprised this isnt discussed more especially among audio and video pros with many pci card.
we already know no older agp cards will work but many still dont know about this and will be very suprised. i got about 9-12 months before i get my g5 so its not that bad

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by daveg5
yea 3 macs over the years. really the ones i want to keep is one of the sound cards and the usb2/firewire card and maybe the video or scsi card i will still keep the bw around for deus ex and the fsaa voodoo 5500 (i know that dosnt work for 3d in osx) all others will be sold or given to family members. i am suprised this isnt discussed more especially among audio and video pros with many pci card.
we already know no older agp cards will work but many still dont know about this and will be very suprised. i got about 9-12 months before i get my g5 so its not that bad

Well there is no need for any hard drive controller cards at all in the new G5 as there is no place to run the cables from it let alone put the drive. Also it comes with USB2 and Firewire800 so unless you just want extra ports there's no reason for that card.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
was hoping to put 2 15000 rpm scsi drives 15k.3 cheetahs in a raid and wait for the oxford 933 sata to firewire case for the oem drive, can be had cheap about $150 each from friend definately want extra ports no hubs here a fast firewire cdrw 52x, firewire hard drive. and looks like i must get a firewire pro sound card with multiple mic inputs if none of my pci based ones work. isight, and ipod in the future. usb printer, scanner, usb midi interface, cubase and logic usb dongle keys, shuttlepro and nostromas fps game controller. hopefully wireless keyboard and mouse bluetooth.
of course this is just a wish list the most important is my rpc1/vm3100 pci sound card and mixing controller works in os9 and osx 8 ins. dsp factory 4 ins/outs osx drivers soon. rev 7.1 may have to sale this and get a firewire box. wanted the quiet cheetas as my friend is getting 2 sata raptors, so he must get rid of them. are u sure no cable can go to the hard drive by following the cables already there.
i hate hubs i would have everything plugged and will keep it that way except camcorder etc.
i guess i better start investigating firewire sound cards/mixing controllers, the tascam fw1884 looks to be the best and most expandable, and maybe 2 sata raptors and a usb/firewire hub.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Well the problem is the drives that come in it are Serial-ATA and use the small cords instead of the ribbon cables. This allowed apple to run them through or behind the mother board and hide them. There is no way to run the ribbon cables of the SCSI card in the same manner. The only way that has been theorized (no one has a G5 yet so no one knows) is to run the ribbon cables through the plastic shield by cutting a slot in it and up and back through to the drive bay. The only problem is Apples special drive carrier which apparently limits the use of a flat cable and may need highly modified or tossed.

Another option may be to just run the SCSI cable through an open PCI slot and to the drive externally.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by MacBandit
Well the problem is the drives that come in it are Serial-ATA and use the small cords instead of the ribbon cables. This allowed apple to run them through or behind the mother board and hide them. There is no way to run the ribbon cables of the SCSI card in the same manner. The only way that has been theorized (no one has a G5 yet so no one knows) is to run the ribbon cables through the plastic shield by cutting a slot in it and up and back through to the drive bay. The only problem is Apples special drive carrier which apparently limits the use of a flat cable and may need highly modified or tossed.

Another option may be to just run the SCSI cable through an open PCI slot and to the drive externally.
What am I missing here? Every PCI SCSI controller I've ever seen has a cable connection on the faceplate of the card, for the obvious purpose of connecting external drives. Why would you need to route internal SCSI cables through an empty PCI slot opening?

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
its for internal scsi drives using the 68 pin connector, external would require an external enclosure, the problem is routing the internal scsi cable from the pci slot to the hard drive bay, this is if any old scsi pci cards work in the pcix slots

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by daveL
What am I missing here? Every PCI SCSI controller I've ever seen has a cable connection on the faceplate of the card, for the obvious purpose of connecting external drives. Why would you need to route internal SCSI cables through an empty PCI slot opening?

Dave answered the question but I just want to add to it. I don't know about modern cards but it used to be that most SCSI controller cards didn't support as high a speed externally. The maximum speeds were reserved for the internal cable which as Dave said typically uses a High-Density connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.