OS X Can the PC "Rage" Texture Pop fix be Made to work for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Irishman, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Has anyone tried this successfully?

It seems like, on the PC, someone has created a shortcut that added some text to it that changed the parameters under which the game handles the high-rez textures, but I don't see how that would work on the Mac.

2. thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow! Nearly 700 views but no replies tells me that there's a lot of interest in this issue, but that everyone reading is just as flummoxed as I am.

:(

3. macrumors 65816

voyagerd

What are the parameters? Can you start the Mac version with the same switches on the command line?

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

I have no experience with using the terminal app to do so. I suppose I'm willing to be coached through it if you have an idea?

5. macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I googled the pop-in fix and it's just changes to rageconfig.cfg. I don't see anything about command line switches.

6. Irishman, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

thread starter macrumors 68020

So, when I do a Spotlight search for rageconfig.cfg on my Mac, it returns nothing. Is that the problem? That the game doesn't create a config.cfg file on its own?

Also, on the steampowered forums about this issue from 2011, they're discussing a base folder, which Mountain Lion must be making hidden. How can I search and access hidden folders, if that's the case?

I found these directions from this page. http://www.mikesel.info/show-hidden-files-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

Does anyone know if this is a safe change to make?

"defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"

It seems like it's an easy enough change to undo.

"defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO"

7. macrumors 68040

cluthz

The config is most likely in the User/Library/AppSupport folder, or inside the app itself (right click the app and choose "show package contents").

As for the PC version, I don't have any issues with texture pop, except the first 5-10 secs after zoning, so I guess it boils down to how powerful your gfx is.

8. Irishman, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

thread starter macrumors 68020

New late 2012 21.5" iMac here. 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB GPU, 8 GB RAM.

Alright, right-clicked the Rage application, showing the contents, and navigated to the Base folder. Inside, the only config file is called "default.cfg".

Alright. I've copied and pasted the changes into a duplicate of the default config.cfg file on my desktop.

This text:

seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
    seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
    seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
    seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"

and when I try to drag and drop into the base folder, it warns me with a pop-up that it is not editable and that I need to authenticate it to continue.

Does anyone know from experience that I won't jack up my game install if I authenticate and continue?

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

Alright, so I created a separate rageconfig.cfg file and pasted just those lines I showed you in my last post, dragged it into the Base folder.

I ran the game. It loaded, ran and looked the same as before. I didn't see a difference.

10. macrumors 68040

cluthz

I really don't think u can go without popping on 512mb unless you turn gfx down quite a bit.

In win7 im peaking 980MB at max settings @1680x1050 res

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh, I'm under no illusions that the pop in will go away. I'd be happy lessening it.